Strange crash/Bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by FrancoisH, Apr 17, 2005.

1. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT (VTD128 / 128 Mo DDR3)
    Hello,

I've a MSI NX6600GT VTD128

After intensive usage of my card, with good new cooling (Zalmann VF750-Cu), I get max temp of 54 C° for the GPU... I recently fitted the heatsink onto the RAM chips (with some job for it, because they need to be "personalized" for AGP 6600 GT...

So after a while in some few games (especially GuildWars, wich is one of the most heat generator I know actually), I get curious bug like only a half of the texture's showing and serious drop of FPS. If I do 360° lookup around generally solve it but after this happens, few minutes, I get complete blue... grey ... screen, depend. Coming back to Desktop then to the game solve the issue up for another hour.

But note that one time in WOW in the past week, I got inversed image... never happened before... And today I get same problem in guildwars after trouble just discribed upward...

I got back to the desktop... but in 640x480 and 4 bits color depth. I tried to change settings but no more nVidia control panel. Needed to logout, log with another account then log back in with the original one to get normal desktop options and nVidia Control Panel back.

Do you think it's a driver's bug, (got this with 71.84 Officials WHQL AND 71.90 Unofficials WHQL), GPU overheating (53 °C isn't that high), Graphic RAM (DDR900) overheat or HSI unit overheat.

Thanks.

2. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    Can't this be only a MAIN RAM problem ? I really want on advice on this point.

3. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    Are you sure that your load temp is 53c?
    Did you check it in the control panel or in rivatuner?

temps fall fast with 6x00 series cards.

4. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    Yes I'm sure... tested for more than 4 hours with 3dMark. Never goes higher than 55°... Average 54° in every game I tested and before few days, I was having a heavy load temperature, higher than 81° before I buy a new heatsink and fan and no bugs :p

All I can say is manufacturer cooling system is unefficient.

5. TheGamer

TheGamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 @
    try newer drivers . this is a driver prob. 'cause last day while playing Brothers In Arms my 1st person camera suddenly got inverted and my character seemed to be walking on the sky . The game meanwhile was running fine . I use xg76.41 .
    This happened only once though.

6. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    I see, I'll try with thext 76.xx release... seems there's some bugs with 6600GT anyway... maybe because they're the newest nVidia cards (with 6800 GT)

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I found WHQL 76.44 work well with my 6 series 6610xl(400/800) (slightly underclocked 6600gt).

8. Skydemon

Skydemon Guest

I'm not sure if my problems relate directly to the AV8, or just the combination of the VIA bios and the XFX 6600GT graphics card, but I'm not a real happy camper right now. I haven't done a lot of overclocking on the board yet, other than trying out the turbo mode of the 3rd Eye.

I don't know if I should try another graphics card (I'm going to put my old ATI 9500 Pro in there and run some test to see what I get. Right now with the 6600GT it crashes/reboots even at the non-overclock settings. The CPU isn't heating up that much, and the GPU is only getting to 70c (per Rivatuner), which I don't think is all that high. Memtest and Prime05 run just fine, which is what is leading me to believe it's an issue somehow with my graphics card. I have tried several driver updates, and the results are similar.

I don't want to spend another $200-300 on a graphics card if I'm going to continue to have issues; maybe I should just switch to something else completely and go with PCI-E. Or maybe just go with another motherboard, that might be cheaper.

Suggestions?

9. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    I barely regret to not have bought a PCI-E mainboard and graphic card now... But there's issue with those too... I think I'm not having so much crashes, if I look around me, but I still annoyed to get those I've :)

10. Skydemon

Skydemon Guest

More things are pointing to the XFX 6600GT being bad. I put it in my old system (Abit TH7, P4 1.7Ghz), and it won't make it thru 3D-Mark-05 without crashing. Same problem I was having in my new system.

I wonder how hard it would be to RMA it back to XFX.

11. FrancoisH

FrancoisH Member

GPU:
    I don't have issue in any game except those I spoke about... and no issue in 3Dmark so I don't think our crashes are due to the same problem.