Strange 304.79 issue in both Win7 x64 and Win8 pro x64 RTM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by captain_trips, Aug 10, 2012.

1. captain_trips

captain_trips Active Member

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Hello all,

just built a new machine, following specs:

Intel D77GA70K mobo visual bios with UEFI
    32GB's DDR3 Corsair Venegance DDR3 1600mhz RAM
    Intel I7 3730k IB - not overclocked
    Samsung 830 SSD 256GB
    (2x )Western Digital 6bps 1TB HDD
    (2x ) EVGA GTX680 2GB in SLI
    SATA bluray/dvd burner
    Coolermaster Cosmos II
    Corsair H100 Cpu closed cooling
    PC Power & Cooling 950w MKII silncer PSU

I originally installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64... when I installed the 304.79 drivers, they installed, machine rebooted, saw POST and windows load screen, and right when the windows load screen finished, monitor went into standby. Checked some settings in BIOS, changed from UEFI to BIOS and vice versa, made sure IGP integrated graphics was disabled, etc.
    Still no go, booted, looks like it was about to show desktop, then monitor goes into standby. Tried hooking up cables to other vide card since they were in SLI, etc. I was able to boot into safemode and see a desktop. If i had had disabled one GTX680 via device manager, it would boot fine with those drivers. As soon as I tried to reenable the second 680, boom... monitor goes into standby.

No biggie, must be fluke. It is beta afterall

So I installed the current WHQL drivers from nvidia... works like a charm. SLI, everything, flawless. Ran it for a few weeks no issues, no problems.

You could say my journey could have ended there, however I really wanted to install Windows 8 RTM, hence why I built a new machine. New machine, want the new OS. So out comes RTM the other day, and of course, I've decided to install it, the x64 Pro release. Now, prior to this, I installed the Release Preview and it ran the RP nvidia whql drivers just fine... no issues, no problems with SLI or anything.

But, now that I'm on RTM... the ONLY Windows 8 driver that works with RTM is 304.79 beta. And of course... exact same problem as Windows 7. I install it, it goes to reboot, finishes the bootloader, and right as its about to goto desktop start screen (you never actually see the desktop), monitor goes into standby. I tried to install the Release preview drivers, but they are not signed or not compatible with RTM.

I've updated BIOS, tried every possible BIOS configuration, etc... and nothing. Still black screen going to desktop (although i think the desktop is actually running) if i use those drivers. I can see the desktop in safemode, and if I uninstall the 304.79 drivers, can see it in normal mode in the RTM, but goes blank once they are installed.

Would love to keep pushing Windows 8 RTM but since the only official win8 rtm drivers are the 304.79 betas, could be a long wait for WHQL drivers or another beta, assuming the problem is corrected in that release.

Anybody have any possible recommendations (other than going back to Win7 and using WHQL or waiting for further RTM drivers), or had a simular issue?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. mike golf

mike golf New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti 6Gb
    works fine with 304.79 & 7 64bit :)
    http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd512/mig89/zzzt-1.jpg

have you tried 305.53?

3. captain_trips

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Tried the 305.53 beta drivers too, but they will not install in Windows 8 RTM using the default installer. And If I try to install them via device manager to each card, they fail from no digital signature (not sure how to disable digital signature in windows 8 rtm... googled it, but only found method on how to do so from Win 8 Developer release).

Any suggestions on maybe how to get those installed? any help is greatly appreciated.

It's definetely the driver thats the issue with something in my hardware.. all prior drivers in Windows 7 seemingly worked fine, and even the Win8 release preview drivers worked fine. I'm just worried the next WHQL or Beta release this issue might not be corrected, and I'm stuck in current WHQL limbo which would eliminate the Win8 RTM option.

4. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    I have kind of a similar problem in Windows 8 RTM x64 with 304.79 beta.

My monitor goes into stand by mode, all of a sudden. It's not some specific-task related issue. However, it's happening only because of the NVIDIA driver. Happens with the default driver, too. But, my problem is only desktop related. No boot issues.

So, until that is fixed, no Windows 8 for me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

5. captain_trips

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Mine goes into standby (or at least i think its standby) once windows begins to boot to desktop/start screen. I can see the windows load screen for 7 or 8, and then as soon as it would flicker to goto the login/lock screen, monitor goes black, then then monitor led turns yellow as if in standby.

If I let the system sit like that for like 8 minutes, it will will restart on its own. It's doing this with the 304.79 beta's in both Win8 RTM and Win7 ultimate... none of the previous betas or WHQL's are causing this. Unfortunately, as you said, 304.79 is the only RTM win 8 driver that can be installed, so kind of stuck in limbo.

I don't expect any help from nvidia even if the nzone forums were back online... and I'm not saying that negatively. For starters, they are beta drivers. Secondly, although I'm having the same issue in bothe Win7 and Win8 RTM... Nvidia likely woulndt intervene with my issue because they legally can't... they likely can't support a customer running a yet-to-be-released OS before launch date. To support someone running Windows 8 RTM before it offiicially launches is likely not professional or ethical and big brother Micro$oft would frown at nvidia if they cought wind of it.

6. captain_trips

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Still not resolved even with 305.67 on either Win7 64-bit or Win8 RTM 64bit

same issue, gets to windows boot screen, and right before desktop should appear, monitor goes into standby, blank screen. Have tried everything, changing BIOS/EFI settings, cables, connection, etc.

It does work, however, if I remove my second GTX680 from the system

Current WHQL in Windows 7 64bit works fine and for SLI as well.

Defientely something that the recent beta drivers are having issues with my system.

Would love to be able to report this on the official nvidia forums, but of course, they are down. Any Nvidia rep's reading this that might be able to help out?

7. captain_trips

GPU:
    2x nvidia TITAN X sli
    Just thought I would update that I've discovered this is a known bug with the Intel DZ77GA-70K extreme gaming board.

Apparently recent intel BIOS (starting at 004x) updates have broken SLI mode for Nvidia drivers 304.79 and newer. Intel has been made aware of the problem and appears they are working on a fix.

current workarounds are:

(1) F7 flash to older 0035 intel BIOS update and continue using newer drivers in SLI

(2) Use current WHQL drivers from NVIDIA (pre-304.79 beta) or older drivers if you don't want to back-flash to 003x BIOS.

(3) Remove second GPU from system until newer fixed BIOS is released.

The bug occurs in both Win7 and Win8 RTM. For Win 8 RTM, you can only back-flash to previous BIOS for SLI fix or remove 2nd gpu until new BIOS update is release due to 304.79 being only officially supported drivers as of current.

More info here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/165167#165167