Storage Benchmark Mayhem (SSD+NVMe)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by anticupidon, Aug 30, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello fellow gurus! In the middle of the transition to the new Xenforo forum some threads were lost.That's why I re-created this thread, to have a place to show our storage benchmark results.
    In this thread all gurus are invited to post their SSD and NVMe speeds, tips and tricks.
    Here are my results for my OCZ/Toshiba RD400 NVMe SSD.
    Test setup :
    • CPU: Intel i5-6600k at 4.2GHz (42 x 100MHz)
    • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Extreme
    • Memory: 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws at 3200 Mhz
    • SSD: OCZ RD 400 (secondary drive)
    • HDD:Hitachi 320 GB (man drive)
    • Case: Nox Hummer ZX USB 3.0
    • CPU cooler: Enermax Liqmax II 240
    • Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this benchmark, the RD400 was set up as a secondary drive, i found that benchmarking it while being the main OS disk drive, the results suffered a small penalty.Thus, i installed W10 Pro on a spare drive, and ran some benchmarks.There is room for improvement, for sure.
    Well, fellow gurus, please share your results here !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Could you possibly add HD Tach to your results? I'm currently trying to narrow down some stuttering, aside from Creator's Update and nvidia stuff going on right now, and I'm about to start rolling back SATA Chipset drivers one by one until I (hopefully) find a stable one. Here is a screenshot of my results with driver version 14.8.16.1063.

[​IMG]

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Why do you think it has anything to do with storage drivers?

Stuttering can be caused by a multitude of things.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Storage driver is of course one of several factors in my hunt to kill stuttering. Does that screenshot look normal to you? I'm not sure, but I thought it was supposed to be more of a straight line. I've tried so many different drivers for different devices to try and get games to perform smoothly, but I'm kind of clutching at straws here and not wanting to accept that these are probably engine limitations/issues. Right now it is GTAV, which will slowdown at specific parts of the map no matter what settings I use. Fallout 4, which can't even maintain 1080p/60 on a GTX1080. Forza Horizon 3, which has a relatively large hitch every several seconds. None of these issues come from CPU/GPU usage being anywhere near 100%, just the engine or my SSD or HDD crapping out. I have noticed disk usage spikes to 100% that almost always coincide with stutters and that is what led me down this particular rabbit hole.

Probably just game engine issues (GTAV-draw distance, F4-shadow distance, FH3-threaded optimization) from my dozens of hours of testing each and every setting in these games and many others. Figured I would look at some other Guru's HD Tach results and see how good or bad mine are comparatively.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes that looks normal.
    You wont get a total flat line unless the drive is empty

Fallout 4= sh1t engine, GTAV common issue for many people.
    Dont know about forza, but i highly doubt that intel ahci drivers arent causing that

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Nice! I'm so glad I spend so much money to play broken games. /s Like I said, at this point I'm grasping at straws. It is just odd to me because my 2 previous SSD's (120GB 840 EVO gave to brother, 250GB 850 EVO gave to dad) came back with straight lines in HD Tach every time even as the OS drive. RAPID was off and OP was the recommended size, just like my current SSD. I guess I'll hold off on buying an m.2 NVME drive to try and alleviate the issues I have with many games.

On topic - I'll upload some of my most recent results from ASSSD, CDM and OCZ Guru in the next day or so. Just an "old fashioned" SATA3 OCZ/Toshiba VX500 512GB, from last years Christmas logo hunt/trivia in fact. Thanks again HH! Winning the VX500 allowed me to surprise my dad with my 850 EVO for Christmas.