Stopped booting

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Corbus, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    Hey guys,

So i have a friend that has a PC that stopped booting, he has a b550 Master,5800x and a 6900xt reference, PSU 750w HX750i from corsair.

PC worked before just fine for weeks, temps were in check as it has the CPU watercooled,reaching max 61 degrees,or around that,while gaming.

He gets error 90 and the VGA debug led is on. Now judging by the LED it would be reasonable to suspect the GPU of course but after reading on other forums about similar problems it seems the problem is more likely related to a dead CPU.He tried bios reset,bios update,unplugging usb devices,hdds still same thing.

Any ideas? He can't check components individually as he doesn't have any spare ones.He'll go to a service on monday but maybe you guys have any ideas until then.

EDIT: Forgot to mention,he said his CPU voltage was in the 1.4volts range, seems normal to me as mine is 1.438v max

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Corbus likes this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    How many memory sticks are present? if more than 1, remove all sticks except 1 then see if it boots, if this is the case then next thing to do should be check to see if a new bios is available and update to it if there is, once updated to a new bios then put memory sticks back in and see if it boots.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'd sooner blame the graphics card considering others have had dead 6800xt's

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    He tried but no go, nice find btw.

He checked both sticks individually,he did update his bios to the latest one, F11 i think.Still same thing

Haven't heard about dead 6xxx ,do you have a link with more info on this?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    Thanks,I just flew over the thread didn't read that much,if i'm not mistaken,it's just one person having problems with his 6800 non-xt from asrock?And it's not dead,just defective, either way,his problems are way different than what my friend is experiencing, he didn't have any crashes except for just one that started the no boot issue. Plus he has a reference 6900 xt.
    Problem seems more relatable to the gigabyte motherboards,bricking or killing CPUs.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Try a different video card. That would rule it out.

9. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    remove all ram sticks and boot up to see if it beeps to exclude the motherboard/cpu

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    He managed to test the gpu in another pc,it works just fine.

He tested pretty much everything except for the CPU and Mobo, he'll get an answer today from the service,which one of those is the problem,if not both.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I've seen a few people mentioning they are having 5000 series chips dying or having stability issues now... it's starting to make me wonder if there is a manufacturing problem of some sort with the series.

Heck I even saw someone post an image of 5000 series chip that had the metal top of the chip cracked right across fresh out of the box.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Corbus likes this.
  12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ref 6900 XT
    Guess it was the CPU.

@KissSh0t those few folks you saw with dead cpus, also had gigabyte mobos by any chance? Like the ones from the link that @FatBoyNL shared?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I didn't pay attention to what motherboards were used sorry.

14. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    When the CPU debug LED lights up or flashes on the motherboard, and the board does not complete post (or immediately restarts), it's usually due to FAILED VRM components on the motherboard. It is not often a dead CPU - it can be - more often due to the motherboard dying VS the cpu just up-and-dying, but it's typically a situation of just RMA the motherboard if possible.
    Why so? This is due to the board VRM's not being able to properly provide power to the CPU and thus, the CPU does not pass POST properly with said motherboard, and so the board post debug codes show / sound like it's a dead CPU.
    When my ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard did this I threw it in a box and got an ASUS motherboard (went through post normally, but no screen yet, right when it's about to send signal to the monitor the CPU light would flicker once and then it would re-start POST procedure). Just buy an ASUS motherboard next time (or a Gigabyte AORUS or better). Aside of a few rather high-end Gigabyte boards, I've been burned every time without fail on a competitor's motherboard for my own machine, competitor's boards placed in machines for others (light to moderate internet surfing) and have been fine for a decade. My own use is very rough on the board and often boards are not certified for heavy use as well as they should be (I do content creation for long hours, and the machine is never turned off).
    "5000 series chips dying" Unless there's a recall, nope. It's usually a buggy BIOS to blame, or a stupid user who changes settings without reading them all (like the 1.5v CPU volt setting when Ryzen was newer and then people complained of boosting issues... idiots).
    There's not a manufacturing issue with any of the processors from either brand right now. There's only typical amounts of failures, it's not more or less than it ever was right now.
    The crack across the top of the IHS was likely just an issue with that piece of copper, and the chip may just as well have been perfectly fine otherwise. Fatigue cracks can develop in metal as it cools, and while these are checked for, some can slip through. The metal may not even have shown the defect in it until it went through enough heating and cooling cycles (not only the kind you get from using it, but the kind from shipping where the container sits in the sun during the winter time days and gets very cold at night). Then once it's gotten enough heating and cooling cycles POP and it turns magically into two pieces of metal. Metal expands when it gets hot and shrinks when it gets cool, causing disproportionate loads around defects, cracks, etc. Same reason vehicle combustion engine blocks can crack (short of internal components beyond the scope of this discussion going through the side of the block).
    If you work with metal (metallurgy) you know full well about these things, it happens with any/all metals, some more readily than others.

For the original poster:
    Obviously, clearing CMOS with the wall power plug removed is the first step.
    Make sure the power supply is in working order
    Try the video card in another PC if possible.
    If you try booting the machine without a video card (and it has no integrated option), and the issue remains the same, then you have either a video card problem, power supply PCI-E power problem, or (least likely) an issue with the slot.
    Replace the video card with another, known-working spare to see if it will pass POST.
    Replace the motherboard if checking 1 stick of RAM at a time did not work
    A weak, dying, or damaged PSU can cause this issue. An issue with PCI-E signal can cause this issue (often 98% of time due to faulty or sub-standard riser cables, read below).
    DO NOT USE A PCI-E 4.0 VIDEO CARD ON A PCI-E RISER CABLE NOT DESIGNED AND LISTED AS A PCI-E 4.0 DEVICE, you will get stupid errors (Jayz two cents just covered this not too far back, but it was known before than you're lucky to get 6cm with a solid signal with 4.0 standard). IF using a riser cable, discontinue use and try again with the actual slot.
    Also, some machines will still boot with said riser cables but have 'weird errors' in Windows seemingly at random.
    IF you have another machine with TWO PCI-E x16 slots (or slots wired for as little as x1 to x4 electrical signal but have open ends or are physically long enough to accomidate said card), try it in another machine as the secondary card if you have a means to power it. If it shows in Windows device manager but not at boot you may have a BIOS issue on the video card.
    I am sure I missed something, but others will likely chime in and add these.

If pulling wires checking plugs and connecting/disconnect things has NOT changed any symptoms and/or has made no progress, REPLACE motherboard.
    Recommended boards: Asus X570 Tuf (any), Gigabyte X570 Aorus (any).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021