Still using windows 7...Should I upgrade...Why...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by airbud7, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also True. Another reason for some users not upgrading to Windows 10 right away is driver support for certain pieces of hardware not including Video considering both AMD and Nvidia all ready have Win10 drivers working out of the box.

2. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    On Win 7 at the moment....it's free upgrade that you download but can I then burn the OS image to a disc or flash drive for later re installs?

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    Apps? I have absolutely no need for apps on my desktop PC. Apps are for my smartphone...

There is nothing an app on Windows 10 will do better than an equivalent app. Why should I get a Netflix app when I can just use a tab in my web browser?

-----

I'd like to upgrade, but I'm still not a huge fan of the interface. All the settings and options are too smartphone-like in their design and I don't like it. When I open a settings menu it shouldn't go into full screen. There's no reason a settings menu with like 5 or 6 options should be full screen. The amount of wasted space in Windows 10 menus infuriates me. It's a theme that continues in the new start menu. The spacing is horrible and the programs installed like calculator, calendar, etc are all taking up tons of space. Why do I need "Alarms" out in the open, put it in the accessories folder like it used to be.

[​IMG]

4. CDJay

CDJay Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    If I press settings, it isn't full screen. I guess it just remembers what the window size was last time, so try making it smaller and it should stick?

5. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2070 s
    Sorry to ask . As A win 7 user myself, how would I know if my PC's are compatible ? For example, I have a 6 year old x58 system . The motherboard is from ASUS .I don't see ASUS updating any software for it .

Also what about older games ? Will they work ?
    Thanks .

6. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    Most, if not all of your drivers you'd be able to get from the original manufacturers page. So if your board has a Realtek sound chip, you can go to Realtek's website and get the latest Windows 10 driver. Same for chipset drivers from Intel and so on.

Also if ASUS has made Windows 8.1 drivers for your motherboard, they should install and function correctly under Windows 10.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Do you have an icon in the notification area?If you do right click and click check upgrade status when that pops up there are 3 bars in the upper left of that window.Click those and on the left you can check your pc.

8. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2070 s
    If I click any of those bars (haven't even thought about clicking that icon yet ), will I be committed to win 10 ?

9. b2rdark

b2rdark Member

GPU:
    7870 XT
    Not worth upgrading at the moment in my opinion, Windows 7 is more mature. I might be doing something wrong because I don't think win10 is any better. I have installed both on the same SSD, and their general performance is identical (both quick as ****). And actually windows 7 was slightly better in the games I tested (gta v for example).

10. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2070 s
    Thanks everyone .

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im sticking to my 7 for a while, no rush, got a year, besides, no Dx12 games yet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I always upgrade to the latest OS and never regret it. w8/8.1 have been great for me, some really neat features that I ended up falling in love with.

Installed w10 Pro today, so far so good. Don't see a reason to stay on w7, unless you run a specific piece of software that doesn't work on 8/10.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Or like some of us you waste several hours trying to get Windows 10 installed and just give up, and lets be honest Windows 7 works fine and theres 0 reason to upgrade other than DX12 whenever games arrive.

As i get older ive moved from having the latest and greatest to.....is it worth the hassle?

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, reading loads of, can't get the bugger installed, keeps failing, comes up with this error, that error etc... :p

My 7s perfect :D

15. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    I feel the same way. I want to install Win10 because I enjoy tinkering with things, but I just can't be bothered with the hassle anymore with stuff like that.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
  17. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    OS fear mongering from MSM.. Anyone "scared" by this probably also owns an Android phone, uses Gmail, or Chrome and most likely all of the above and Google has been pretty much doing the same thing for ages..

Click bait news is click bait

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It may be click bait.. but unfortunately it's also true.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  20. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I was gonna force the upgrade on one of my PC's but I'm having issues making it work. Has anyone been able to use the force upgrade method going around and it really work?