Still using windows 7...Should I upgrade...Why...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by airbud7, Jul 11, 2015.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    As the title says I'm still on win7x64 and I was wondering if an OS upgrade is necessary...I have win8.1 on a laptop and I just don't like it as much, even thought of downgrading it to 7....However if there's a big improvement in windows 10? then I will just have to learn it (I hate change:bang: lol)...

So...Should I put on my learning cap and dive in to 10 or just stay with 7?... any and all opinions are welcome...Thanks...

PS...My son is in collage and I can get OS very cheap >$25...:)

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you want DX12 , then upgrade

For me, 8.1 is a world better than 7, and when 7 first arrived, I never thought Id ever say that

7 is going to be the next XP for many years, but XP is old now, hint hint

10 looks like a nice step from 7, I would

3. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I was in the same boat. Since windows 7 came out I never upgraded to windows 8. It's hard to move on when you've been stagnant on the same OS for so many years. I did however take the plunge and install Windows 10 from the insider program yesterday and so far I am really enjoying it. Don't know how earlier build stacked up, but the latest build is pretty much perfect.

4. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    There's no reason to upgrade at the moment. When some decent DX12 games are released that you want to play you'll have no choice but to upgrade.

I installed it on VMWare, with startisback installed to bring back a proper start menu it's OK. The mobile/metro "apps" are utter garbage and Windows Store is a nonsense along with OneDrive. Other than that it's OK, I will upgrade my Win7 installation to it when a decent DX12 game eventually comes out, though I won't use it as my main OS, just for the odd game [I don't trust MS, wouldn't surprise me if there's backdoors aplenty built into it].

5. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    This is sam when Win 7 came out...
    XP is best, no need to upgrade on 7, XP forever... :3eyes:

6. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    I was the same loved windows 7 never used windows 8-8.1. I have been using windows 10 now for a few weeks, put in onto a separate HDD. It seems a lot faster than 7 and I use it as my main OS now.

7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    With new DX21 games worth gaming in Windows 10 (very old games maybe not).
    But if you are not interested in that stay with Windows 7,or dual boot Win7-Win 10.

8. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Short answer: Yes.

It's a free upgrade, and there are a myriad of advantages (better core scheduling, better utilisation of modern hardware, lower footprint in memory, DirectX 12 / WDDM 2.0 ) and other things which will only get better ( Edge browser, Cortana integration ).

In use it works remarkably similar to 7, but with a few tweaks here and there largely for the better.

That's now, so you have to figure that once it goes RTM, and is further patched up for mass market roll out tail end of July, there will be even less reason to languish in the past.

I genuinely believe 10 will have the fastest take up of any O/S in the past 15 years. It could realistically approach 50% market share in traditional markets within the first year of release. With that in mind, developers and driver coders will direct an awful lot of their focus and testing at 10 with obvious depreciation of existing versions.

IMO.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    This time around I think thing maybe slightly different than past XP, Win7 is best .
    I am talking driver support now, it seems everything is moving with focus on Win10 .
    So if your on Win7 and your happy with all drivers used, then you can wait I guess, but if you like upgrading when new drivers or other app update then Win10 will probably get the node as that is what there focused on .

Probably good to wait a little bit, month or so to iron out any issues but so far reports seem pretty good .

10. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Nonsense. Where did I imply that? I said there is no reason to upgrade at the moment.

:stewpid:

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Windows 7 is supported until 2020 so if you don't like change then don't bother. On the other hand if you want a better OS in terms of performance and features such as apps then please go ahead.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you have the harddrive space or a spare harddrive, install Win10 and dualboot for a while. You'll need to go into Win10 with an open mind though. There will be a learning curve.

Personally, I think Win10 is too much compromise and back-tracking. I'll be holding onto Win8.1 for a while longer.

13. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Anyone currently using Win 7 or Win 8 or Win 8.1 will be able to download for free a Win 10 upgrade, starting around July 29th.
    I did not like Win 8 interface, but you can get a free program called Classic Shell and it will make Win 8/8.1's interface look and function like Win7 (or even older versions of Windows).

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 10 has gone a step further in changing how things work, instead of just removing the start menu and adding a start screen (with a few other changes like removing aero).
    A lot I don't like but DX12 will be enough to make me update.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In my humble opinion, I'd upgrade to win10 for free on a gaming rig.
    If you're doing something else like working, and need specific programs, you might want to wait a bit and see how things turn out. But in the end it comes down to those three questions you'd need to answer:

What does 8.1 offer over 7 in your situation? (do you need those few single digit fps in games?)
    Do you want to get dx12 down the line?
    Do you need to have something reliable and work like it is? (you still might want to stick to 7 for such issues if you use programs that won't work under 8.1/10 from the beginning)

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also if you are in to legacy windows gaming like me then sticking to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is not a bad idea.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Why? Windows 10 will work the same as 8.1 in that realm.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    True however there might be some games that might not work.

19. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    ok to look at it from the noraml place then 10 is vry good it is better than 7 x101920912012 (million) but it is not much beter than 8. i will say if u dont upgrade u will miss out on the good stuff like apps an window store (where u got more apps). if u have 8 then u can wait until later to upgrade but 7 is stuck in a cave in the middle of are dessert an will not got better so u have to upgrade to get the benefit (app,store) an join are modern famlity

ps. nearly forgot directx12 u wull need it for it but remember u canot use it unless u have a card that works iwth it. plus 7 an 8 will not have it. i dont no if ur card can work with it u may need the upgrade to

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If a game doesn't work in Windows 10, it won't work in Windows 7 or 8.1 either :). For example Mafia (2002) just requires you to install the Directplay legacy support, and it works perfectly in Windows 10 :).

The main reason for home users not upgrading to Windows 10 is stubbornness. If you really, absolutely hate the new start menu, you can't use that as an excuse as you can use Classic Shell, Startisback etc. Even then, avoiding Windows 10 just because of the start menu is a pretty flimsy excuse too.

In all likelihood future games will be DirectX 12. If they aren't, it's a bad thing as the game is likely to be done pretty lazily. So for this, you need Windows 10. The games are unlikely to support other DirectX's simply because it would mean a massive amount of extra workload, just to support a DirectX that most people won't be using (since most will be on Windows 10). For those with non-DirectX 12 cards, they probably couldn't run the game graphically anyway. There may be some DirectX 11.3 games or options, but this is likely to be very few, and still requires Windows 10 anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015