SteamOS announced by Valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I might just end up building my own SteamBox instead of getting a PS4 if they manage to snag some really good AAA titles (not too interested in Valve's own titles though), something like Destiny would make me jump over.

In-house ******ing is very interesting, there are several PC games I have that just works better with a controller in front of the TV because they were originally developed for the console like Batman: Arkham City, GRID, Tomb Raider et al. I wouldn't mind ******ing them at all. Games like Battlefield would just stay on my desktop because it's actually meant for keyboard and mouse lol.

deltatux

3. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    LOL Just keep paying MS buddy , Your the fail mate.
    Go educate yourself about linux or even just unbuntu.

P.S Without Valve PC gaming would be dead. I have been a member since 2004 and i still own all the Disc's to HL1 & Exp, show some respect buddy to the company that let you play games on your PC otherwise you would be using a crapbox or gaystation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I really hope Valve and their years of market research means they know something we don't. Because otherwise this is doomed to fail. A fragmented console userbase? Really? This is like them trying to make PC's "easy" for the completely uninformed, but all Sony and Microsoft have to do is exist and they will naturally draw the uninformed, as they're the go to companies for someone who wants video games.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Crap all I need is 10 friends. Who wants to friend me?

nah, I don't think PC gaming would be dead otherwise it would have died years before Steam. I remember in the late 80's there was always talk of gaming computers dying out

But this is something they can drag out for years. I don't think they are making the hardware. It's not like they have to market it as a console competitor directly, just the fact that it's always there and slowly growing is enough to take off one day even if it's years away. I assume any hardware company, even Dell could probably put out a Steambox so it's like a console minus the brand specific name. Steam itself wasn't too popular at first either, back then it was as annoying as Rockstars social club app when it first came out.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Neither am I. I'm comfortable where I'm at gaming wise and don't feel a need to move to anything else. I'll give Valve an A for effort though.

7. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I wish it becomes a strong contender against MS's OS for PC gaming platform.

Only concern is that the company that makes the OS comes from primarily running distribution platform... so I just don't see this optimism among some of you guys that Steam OS will somehow be more "open".

8. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    So that means the hackers will have a easier time figuring out how to steal games from the Steam Store using the Steam OS? lol

:infinity:

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Can't make it too open, otherwise we'd have 50 distro's of SteamOS.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think games being easier to hack is a good thing.

I'm curious also about how open it will be, if it's aimed at the living room it has to be simplified.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Even if it did it wouldn't matter so much, valve would just put the changes back into steamos, and most people would stick with that since they're the controlling party behind the idea really.

12. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Read all of this:

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

And understand why Microsoft isn't interested in PC gaming and why in five years time you're all going to be playing games on a Linux-based OS.

EDIT: Just a note -- the image is timestamped 24th Sep if you look at the properties (and when I originally read it). That is before the Wed announcement of Steam machines, which the posts in the image predicts, giving it quite some legitimacy.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    it was some kid at anandtech posting that i read in another thread
    so its fake

14. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Considering everything in it is spot on, the Steam Machine was correctly announced, and it's not written like its by a kid, it's an impressive fake if it is one. Do you have the anandtech thread that says this? Be interested to read more.

Regardless, the comments on Microsoft are again spot-on, as are the observations on Linux -- speaking as someone who has done his own work in this area.

15. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Using 4chan as a legitimate source of information...lol

Also we have all known about the steam box for what.. 12 months?

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

Well it might not be written by a kid, but posting as a valve employee is very childish.
    here is the link: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35529828&postcount=342

seems anandtech also banned him for it

17. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Haha, ah well. Thanks for the link. Still, an interesting take. Was just thinking about how it mentions screen-capping on Linux (aka FRAPS) and why that would be important, but then the s t r e a m ing (sigh @ forum censoring) part of SteamOS is going to work similar to Nvidia's SHIELD, and it uses H.264, which is processor intensive so making the point on Linux being more efficient to capture while CPU cores are loaded processing a game is quite valid.

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    ROFL @ dat controller

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what a crap controller!