Steam will require game developers to use in-game screen shots

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What about trailers? Does that also apply?

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Cars 2 on Steam needs to do this asap. One of the most misleading screenshots for a game on Steam.

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Good. One small blow to false advertising.

Baby steps.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Unless they enforce trailers too, you know what will happen

10 CG rendered videos, 1 screenshot at the end

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope they require final or close to final screenshots and not "vertical slices" the latest of which was no man's crap.

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Great. I mean even that Battlefield 1 is not the real game - no reason why they couldn't have used ingame shots from Battlefield 1.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    This is a guideline. Not a rule. No one is required to adhere to this. The title is wrong. It doesn't look like Steam will require in-game screenshots. It will simply suggest developers to use in-game screenshots.

9. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    ^^ exactly. the "require" in the title should be changed to "request" or "ask".

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't see anywhere in any article where it says they request it and not require it. Statement Hilbert posted has been the same everywhere else too, so sounds like they are forcing it.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._screenshots_ahead_of_Discovery_20_update.php

Full statement. :)
    (And yeah, request 1 and request 2 but they'd like to see it followed.)

(Whether that goes for indie developer #9001 or also oh I don't know, Codemasters? Ubisoft? well we'll see.)

12. Bounty

Bounty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    "We ask that any images you upload to the 'screenshot' section of your store page should be screenshots that show your game."

From the news item, is what I took to be a request...

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What's the point of making a request if it's not reinforced? That's like saying to a criminal "please don't stab people for heroin". Game devs are out there to make money. Y'know why they use these "better-than-advertised" screenshots? Because they look nice, and will convince people to buy the game. They're already doing something somewhat dishonest to begin with, so do you really think they're going to listen to Valve because they asked?

If this is enforced then that's fantastic. I have encountered way too many games on Steam where I'm like "I just want to see what the gameplay is like". But now that I really think about it, maybe those games really weren't worth buying if the devs had that hard of a time showing actual footage.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There's little use in asking them to use screenshots form the game when the game looks like crap after it's release, being downgraded in different ways. Until then the preorders will skyrocket with most of the hyped games, and what you get eventually doesn't live up to the screenshots still.

I can't avoid to think about NMS, sorry to bring this up, but nothing in steam's requests would have helped in such a situation.

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is such a good thing. No wonder people pirate games. You see awesome breathtaking images of the game and once you spewed out the money, then you realize that it was all false images. Good work Steam.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    um that should be given, no one care what the concept art looks like they want to know what games look like

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
  18. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Good - sick and tired of seeing 3D graphics and then realising it's a 2D game...

19. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Some gaming media (I think it was PC Gamer) raised this issue a just while a go about Valves "rules". There is simply no punishment when not following them.

The only case where Valve has acted was the recent lawsuit case where Valve claimed to protect their customers but clearly kicked the publisher out because they worked against Valve. Those who work only against Valves end users are not punished for doing so :/

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup seems about right, guideline means that it comes down to the developer to adhere to the guideline and everyone else to report or pull them up if they aren't. If it's a hard and fast rule it means Valve have to police it and my god we know how much Valve don't want to have to do ANY sort of work when it comes to vetting what it puts on it's store front.