1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam users may be able to resell their games in the future!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by H83, Sep 20, 2019.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Maddness, WhiteLightning and -Tj- like this.
  2. moo100times

moo100times Member Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Not the British at this rate >_<

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    now this is awesome , so many games to get rid off :D

jaggerwild likes this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    That's just the first grade of judgement.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Buying a used game? I don`t know...
    o_O

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    A used digital game at that. how does one word that? brand new used digital game? is it really used seeing it still the same digital data as the day it was bought and day it was resold? I dont know I see this slippery slow.

Maybe more like a "used" digital key

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    And even worse: what if Steam sends you the files from the previous owner (after all they should remove them from his/her computer), and who knows what content was on that computer near the game...

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    It will be a race to zero

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Isn't that for France alone and not other countries?

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For now it´s only for France but if this becomes definitive then it´s going to spread for the rest of the EU. For the rest of the world there won´t be any changes.

I think mbk is joking but i can already see some people thinking:" what if my used digital game is broken because of his previous owner?"...:D Then someone is going to explain that digital stuff doesn´t brake like physical ones...

mbk1969 likes this.

11. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Awesome! So many games I want to get rid of too... Or can we just trade games?

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Say goodbye to humble bundle and amazing sales if this goes widespread.

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I do like that the gaming industry finally is getting pressured in favor of the consumers, the move to digital has been 100% anti consumer and only benefited the companies. But I'm afraid how Valve and the others will retaliate.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Sounds too good to be true. Valve will probably force you to give up this right in some EULA and then claim that's a legal thing to do. Just like all online stores do with refunds. Normally, the law says you can return a product whenever you want. But the EULA of Steam/Epic/etc states that if you use their service, you agree to give up this right after 2 hours of use. They will do the same with reselling.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I can understand why Valve would vigorously contest this, and I wouldnt blame them. It would have a big impact on their business.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know he was sarcastic that is my constant friend, but your point is correct or could also be wrong? depending on how you look at and how "used" digital is handled.
    maybe when you sell the digital game all that happens is you game deleted from you account and you have no access to any more and person you sold it to get digital copy direct from steam or what ever. cause really your just selling the activation key or maybe your key becomes inactive and hey get new key?

Maybe when you sell it your digital key get transfers and and digital data for the game that was on your computer is transfers exactly how it was on original owners. if that happen who know what they did to the game and argument could be vaild that it is broke. digital is digital used or not there no reason for to be cheaper unless the above is what happens.

There is alot of what if's and alot rabbit holes that could happen from this.

I personal dont think digital games should be able to be "resold" the developers and publishers been switching slowly to digital for reason. one of them was physical copies of games are sold over and over and they never see royalties to it only game store doing or person selling it is. right? wrong ? depend on who you ask it great for consumer special when said game is out print. not so much for the other party, with digital there is no "out of print" there is only the "servers" are gone you can no longer get this, when and IF this happen is unknown but can happen and at that point your boned.

What I see happen is IF something like digital resale is happens, IF it allowed Transfer keys the person is gona be paying seller and then a fee transfer the key to new account from publisher. cause there not gona allow it as easily as they do with physical copies, cause all the digital stuff is now linked to key and said key is linked to account and that is all easily tracked.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Quite funny to see second hand market potentially making a comeback after being killed by digital stores like Steam notably.

It's the same with music bought from playstore/itunes and such, you should be able to transfer it, like giving a CD. I remember there were a case with actor Bruce Willis who broke the news because we wanted to be able to transfer a huge music catalogu to his children and couldn't.

Found it - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/sep/03/bruce-willis-apple-itunes-library

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Buying used games and reselling your own is only for console users. PC gamers own games until death now. Be sure to put all your client passwords in your will to a needy gamer who wants a 32 year old steam library.

19. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    The court ruled in favor of UFC-Que Choisir.
    Established in 1951, Union Fédérale des Consommateurs (UFC Que Choisir) is a not-for-profit organisation with a nation-wide network of nearly 170 local organisations that handles more than 100,000 consumer complaints a year. Through its monthly publication, the high-profile magazine ‘Que Choisir’ and its wide readership in excess of 500,000 individual subscribers, UFC-Que Choisir carries out in-depth research and test comparison for a range of goods and services. The three pillars of the UFC Que Choisir are: Independence, democracy and solidarity.
    In its original suit, the organization had also taken aim at the fact that, if a user leaves Steam, Valve would keep whatever currency was left in their Steam Wallet.

The recent ruling states that the company will instead have to reimburse users who request it. Valve must now also accept responsibility when users say an item on Steam caused them harm, even if it’s in beta. Valve’s rights to users’ mods and community content will also be diminished, and the company will have to clarify the conditions under which users can lose access to Steam for poor behavior.

If Valve refuses to change its rules and post the court’s decision to Steam within a month, it will have to pay a fine of up to 3,000 Euros per day for up to six months.

Again, though, Valve, plans to appeal the ruling. “We disagree with the decision of the Paris Court of First Instance and will appeal it,” a Valve representative told. “The decision will have no effect on Steam while the case is on appeal.”

For now, however, the appeal still lies ahead, so probably don’t go around trying to pawn off your old, digital-dust-covered games just yet.

Source: Nathan Grayson

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  20. Morax

Morax Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX Vega 64
    Being in the EU, I'm really curious where this is going to. I understand both sides of the 'argument'.

However, IF France/the EU is going to get it's way, it would potentially be a death blow for key resellers, since they wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Maddness likes this.