Steam Summer Sale 2016

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sverek, Jun 24, 2016.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    You guys have seriously spoiled yourselves somehow with this thinking that every newer game released should be 75% + off. Seems like yesterday to me when there was no game sales unless it was really old or sold extremely poorly to be tossed in the desperate bin. Some of these are high budget, graphically intense games only 7 months or so old like JC 3, MSG 5 for half price and you guys act like it's a ripoff?. Hell, wish I had options like that when I was a kid mowing lawns for 2 weeks just for a single Nintendo game that came out a year prior. I remember when Mag was dropped $20 and it was still $50 dollars too much cause you'd have to pay people to play that utter rubbish. But granted PC titles have always been cheaper but you can't expect in the day and age of returns and digital DL's for pubs and devs to lose money on people only having to wait a few months and pay next to nothing.

So I think these deals are pretty good myself, I picked up 6 games for $30, one of which was Metro redux as I've been wanting to replay that one and for $5 figured I'd play Ryse: Son of Rome, if I get an hour out of it, it's worth $5. I can't even buy a movie ticket for that and can't even buy popcorn to go with it for all the games I bought today.

So what are your guys thoughts on Just Cause 3? I thought 2 was fun for a couple hours or so but lost interest quick so a little shy on this one since I normally don't care much for 3rd person games. This and MGS 5 kind of have me on the brink, I like the price but I have too many 3rd person games with only 2 hours play time on them. Now I did play MGS zeros so if Phantom pain is just a bunch more camps like that then I'll pass, I heard it's repetitive but looks so darn good. I want that MGS ps1 fun that I used to have.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Steam sales use to be better, that only made Steam more popular.

Steam sales have been a little weak these past few years.

It's not about being spoiled.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    So it was the old steam sales that spoiled you and yet you claim it's not about being spoiled? lol, that's pretty good. You also have to stop living in the past or what i would argue as poor memory, these are still good and great prices considering the entertainment value.
    Other sites are no different, they all toggle around. Ryse is $19 on cdkeys and $5 on steam, next time it may flip but your abilities and options to save money on digital games is apparently better than you recall because I have a complete database showing all Steam games I have bought since 2007 and most of them were all from sales. I see no difference in % of the popular titles I have vs the popular titles today, they ranged from 10%-75% which looks about the same as today.

*edit: Going through my records at only popular larger budget type titles purchased within 1 year after they released, I personally don't have a single one that was over 50% off. Mafia 2 for example, about 9 months later in 2011 I picked it up at 30% off which seems proportionate to a game like MGS 5 which is around 7 months old and 30% off atm. Now I don't doubt there were the occasional sales here and there of similar type and aged titles toppling over 50% off but nothing like what has been suggested here.
    I didn't start with CDkeys and other sites until more recent years but for Steam, these are definitely very fine deals on newer games. I guess I'm more shocked than anything that anyone would just snuff these off if they didn't already own them. $20 for Mad Max? ..not sure how fun of a game it was but that's cheaper than a night out.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's not about being "spoiled".
    A big draw of the sales used to be the Daily Specials, and later... the Flash sales that changed every 12 hours.

You had the normal discounts, but... multiple times a day you would have various special offers. Huge discounts on titles, making for a much more interesting event.

Now, you simply have one set discount. And, a sale price that isn't even as good as previous sales.
    Hell, sale prices this Summer Sale are higher then they were in the last Summer Sale. And, games that were on sale last year (both Summer and Winter sale) are not on sale now.

5. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Picked up The Evil Within and all DLC for $14.99! Super stoaked about that!

We have been spoiled....My 200+ game library with about 30 or so that I havent even installed say so ;)

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I actually dont understand the lack of preparation for steam sale this year.

It just looks like they cut all their stuff and single person prepared page with simple animations.

Why would Valve lower standart?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    There are some nice video games on sale, I don't understand what is the issue?

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Bought the pack with Just cause 3 and the new Tomb Raider for 43 euros. Sounds cool to me.

Anyone ever tried the game : Spec Ops: The line ?

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    When in Doubt.... Youtube gameplay :V

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hey guys, any games similar to Firewatch (on sale) you'd recommend?

I really like it, kind of an adventure and storytelling game and not just a walking simulator.

Nice change of pace and style from Doom and Dying Light.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Got 50% of all recommendations already in Library so yea, nothing for me this time either. Got a rather large backlog so I dont mind.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Get it. Get it. Get it.

Gameplay wise, it's a pretty standard third person shooter. Cover and all that.
    But, the reason to play it is the story. How it's presented... the characters, what they go through.
    And the ending.

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Done! I'll grab Spec ops and firewatch, and i'm done :p

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Firewatch is pretty awesome as well.
    A short little game, but the story and visuals are great.

15. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    This has to be the least interesting sale steam's had the last few years. A few "ok" discounts but the lack of flash sales and overall low discounts on most of the interesting titles.. yeah staying away from this one.

16. Paul5850

Paul5850 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970
    The sales are kinda **** for Eastern Europe, the prices are the same as in Western Europe, so a Doom is €60 when full price the retail version without sale is about €38, hell, The Division is on sale and it was cheaper at launch in stores and now the Golden Edition that includes Season Pass is about the price on Steam Sales.

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Spec Ops was awesome. I really like that game.

Have not bought anything yet, nothing that interesting... Perhaps that new Doom, but normal price is 60€ and currently 36€...

18. CapKrunch

CapKrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    Shovel Knight is on sale and if yall haven't try it yet. It is really good game and I have enjoyed it that much.

I just picked up Axiom Verge for 11 dollars.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thinking of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Comes to around $23 after regional pricing and the little bit of steam wallet I have ...

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    Warning: begins with rant on sale complainers.