Steam: Nvidia sold 11 GeForce RTX 3000 for every Radeon RX 6000 that AMD sold

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    rebar is mediocre at best,it's not even a noticeable difference and the average 4-6% is usually cause of including valhalla in the test which all of a sudden shows 20%.amd sponsored title too.it's the same thing they did with rapid packed math in fc5 benchmark which is 90% friggin water,only this time they actually made a meaningful difference in reviews.

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    OK cool but i want personal experience with it cause i'm into messing around with pc tech, i'm sure you'd like to try it out for yourself no?

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Games can use more than 8GB with their maximum settings @1440p

Some of them will have a negative affect on performance with less using those same settings, especially MSFS.
    Guess there are even huge texture mods for Skyrim that can make an 8GB card suffer these days.

You can of course turn settings down, point is still that 8GB is not enough to max out even at 2.5K.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Maybe within 2 years Turing owners will reap the FineWine benefit when games come with MS DirectStorage, Mesh Shaders, VRS Tier 2, Sampler Feedback Streaming and higher quality DLSS, but at that time do you still care that your 2080Ti get all those fancy new tech or you are getting yourself a 4080 :D

untitled-3.png

Funny how Radeon VII has its ass handed to it by 8GB VRAM GPU like the 2070S

I guess you need to read up something call Texture Streaming, which will get a huge boost with DirectStorage. This will alleviate the performance cost when GPU need to stream huge amount of texture. So yeah, work smarter, not harder (like having to pay for more VRAM unnecessarily)

GoldenTiger and DannyD like this.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How does that even show anything in relation to dedicated VRAM load?
    You got more factors that play in, GPU speed, VRAM speed, bandwidth and so on.
    If you look closely in the linked video you can see that games can use more, performance can still be held back by other factors though.
    What could be interesting is seeing the difference between a full 3090 and a 3090 that is restricted to 8GB.

As for the Radeon VI, why should I give a F**k about that card?
    You still forget that it is a complete design that is in question, not only the amount of VRAM.
    Think we can agree on that the design failed?

6. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    3070 is beating 6800 there, happy?

[​IMG]

VRAM usage doesn't mean much, kinda pointless really.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    because of dx11 overhead i think
    16g is an advantage,but it's not like it's the only aspect we should be looking at.it's one of many.
    the example of 3070 vs 6700xt is the best reflection of this.for every single game where 12g gives you advantage over 8g,e.g. enable a setting that 8g doesn't allow for,there will be ten RT games where 3070 crushes 6700xt.

[​IMG]

Krizby likes this.
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If so, just give me your 3090 already then even while it outperforms the other two cards up there :p

Krizby likes this.
  9. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Not when I'm flying as a captain of the 320Neo I won't :D

GoldenTiger, DannyD and Mineria like this.
  10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    That made me laugh.:D

Krizby likes this.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Shame.... :D

We would still need to see the same GPU's with different amounts onboard though to get the clear picture, quite sure that the 3080 and 3090 also get some advantage by having more than 8GB even at 1440p.
    As I already said, it also comes down to the rest of the boards design, can't really compare green vs red there.

Also, in my opinion AMD has only two cards worth considering if the price was right, but with tradeoffs like no DLSS.
    And I don't buy into the whole fine wine crap either when it is performance here and now that we want and not in 5 years when newer and better cards are available anyway.

GoldenTiger and Krizby like this.
  12. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Open world game always use Texture Streaming, the game engine will load low-res textures into the VRAM buffer and only stream in high-res texture when necessary, this is to keep the VRAM requirements in check while making the game look as good as possible. Cyberpunk 2077 use this extensively, just look at how the previous gen consoles take a long time for high-res texture to load in LOL.

2 new techs that are going to boost texture streaming efficiency are Sampler Feedback Streaming and DirectStorage, soon you will see that there are really no noticeable benefit to having bigger VRAM.

"Work smarter, not harder"

GoldenTiger and Mineria like this.
  13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    True, but the option to add insane high res textures to make games look even better still exists.
    MSFS as example does load in around 10GB on your card at 2.5K, probably not a big impact on fps but my guess is that it smoothens out some popins of distance textures, even with DirectStorage more VRAM will have it's advantages.
    Nvidia added more for this generation, doubt they are going with less for the next, more developers will surely take advantage of that over time.

Previous gen consoles have other limitations that make them load slower, like a freaking HDD (doesn't even help to upgrade with an SSD).

14. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Well if you have an efficient way to utilize the excess VRAM to boost visual, I don't see why not.
    However you could also utilize DLSS/FSR to boost visual and gain performance, for example if you have a 1440p screen, you could use DSR to 4K then use DLSS Balanced (or Performance) for a visual boost that no amount of High-Res texture pack can even compare
    Cyberpunk 2077 example
    https://imgsli.com/NjQzOTQ
    4K DLSS Performance use less VRAM and improve visual quite a lot there.
    Even if you have 4K screen, DSR to 6K then use DLSS would also boost visual considerably too.

So yeah, there are fewer games with Hi-Res Texture pack than there are DLSS game, unless you are into modding games.
    DLSS is an amazing new tech that Nvidia give out for free with Ampere, but somehow AMD fans find it boring :D

GoldenTiger and Mineria like this.
  15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    High res textures will look better than DSR+DLSS though, but again, that is with insane textures like 8K and beyond, no way that a 2K texture looks the same by using artificial treatment.
    If you check out Steves analysis of DLSS you see that it has it's up and downs, main thing though is that it helps with fps when pushing some limits besides that it does more than FSR to make it look good.

They wouldn't if FSR could work the same way.

Reminds me, I wonder when Nvidia finally gives us some ATAA....

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    AMD's silicon went to the consoles this year, that's reasonable.

HandR likes this.
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No difference from last gen, with exception that I couldn't find any Series X nor PS5 in stock for the last couple of months.

18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    At that price am not surprised I actually paid less for my 3090 when they first launched

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Personally I think the whole "fine wine" came from AMD's lack of funding in R&D for their GPU division which led to them being on GCN based architectures for multiple generations (HD7970 >>> RX500 series) even RDNA1 (RX5000 series) still had reminiscence of GCN. Now RDNA2 totally gets rid of GCN. Being forced to use basically the same base architecture for 5 generations kind of helps when it comes to optimisations within the hardware and driver level. Not to forget but GCN was built with low level API's in mind and came with a hardware scheduler to better help with compute tasks during idle times. This is also why AMD's DX11 performance was never really upto par with Nvidia as they spent a lot of time on a software scheduler within their driver, AMD did not. We also forget about Mantle and its effects on DX12 and Vulkun, AMD literally have API's out there based off of their own code. Which makes things much easier for them when it comes to support and performance for their older hardware with newer titles.

Fine wine sure does exist, but it will also soon go away. But it sure was fun whilst it lasted. Nvidia has sort of a similar story with Pascal, with it basically being maxwell on steroids. It still kicks ass today and its over 5 years old now (GTX1080 released May 2016!).

DannyD likes this.
  20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    You have to be joking, right?