Steam: Nvidia sold 11 GeForce RTX 3000 for every Radeon RX 6000 that AMD sold

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    How many DX12 games were there after 3yrs? and how many were actually any good? Shrug. The reality is that devs are keen to implement RT. Especially now that PS5 and XSX are out. You will see within 2yrs RT will become an accepted feature. I hesitate to say new standard, but, yeah it'll be just that.

GoldenTiger, Krizby and Maddness like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    The loudest advocates for this tech or that are those that upgade every decade, the irony.

nizzen likes this.
  3. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    well,yes,but it's 1yo vs 6yo
    and your vote changed it too much

Airbud likes this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I have first hand experience of DLSS and whilst its a good technology and does what it says on the tin you are still running a game at lower settings, regardless of if it improves or hinders IQ (in some cases it improves and in some cases it hinders). It still shows that the hardware is not powerful enough on its own to perform these new tasks such as RT, ultra high resolutions and high refresh rates. Even with high end GPU's costing insane prices (from both manufacturers) people today still have to make trade offs in resolutions, in game settings, or resolutions.

Also I wasn't talking about the 3060Ti or 3060 I even said they were the best option for bang for buck, I was comparing the 6700XT to the 3070 where there is 1 cent difference for 5fps less on average but you get 12GB VRAM so unless a game supports DLSS that 3070 is going to start choking sooner than the 6700XT with only 8GB of VRAM.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    actually i'd not be surprised if it were the case.

3090 FE's were trickling out all this time in between random/sporadic drops for any of the rx 6000 series, so many of these dies were shipped in consoles that nobody could produce cards with them.

GoldenTiger and HandR like this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    True, throughout all this time 3090s have always been in stock, pretty much.

8. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
    My vote no count?....:p

this very page has
    1-1080ti
    2-1070's
    1-1060

9. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    8GB VRAM is enough for 1440p (3060 Ti also has 8GB you know), now if you are looking at 4K gaming, the 3070 is 14% faster than 6700XT at 4K according to TPU. Sure you can nitpick the 8GB VRAM that is going to hamper performance in a few titles, but that is just nicking, especially when there are a lot more DLSS titles that 3070 will give users an entirely new gaming experience compare to 6700XT, 4K is DLSS's forte after all.

Or you could just lower the Texture Quality from Ultra to High when running into VRAM limitation, same as any RX6000 owner shying away from RT because it murder the performance LMAO.

It doesn't matter how much money you spent on your PC, there are always compromises, just that the higher you pay, the less compromise you will run into. There are just so many compromises with the current RDNA2 at its pricing, so nah.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    GoldenTiger likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and in how many of those games does RT add to gameplay?
    and of those how many REALLY tickle my butt?? jkjk :D, but not rly: 46 games is 46, whether they tickle or not.

honestly... I would burst like a balloon 46 times by now if I couldn't RT - that's the god honest truth :)

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    8GB VRAM is already not enough for a lot of current and new titles, and certianly won't be in the near future. Also neither the 6700XT or the 3070 are 4K cards. They are more 1440p cards, and sure DLSS and better RT are selling points now for the 3070 (in games that use them) but nothing is going to help it when it starts choking for VRAM. To me technologies like DLSS or FSR are actually better suited to the low-mid range markets like laptops, smartphones, or handheld games consoles where it can actually benefit weaker hardware more and move people from say 20-30fps to 50-60fps. Not at the high end where it moves you from say 80fps to 100fps as you are already in more than playable territory. Unless a game uses RT and then DLSS or FSR are basically a must for playable frame rates, once again proving the technology isn't ready and is still beta/early access feature. But we will get there just not yet on either side of the fence.

You say I am nitpicking about VRAM in a few titles, sure you could say that now but I am thinking into the future. Most people keep their cards for at least 3-4 years and I really don't see the 3070 being able to keep up with WITHOUT serious compromises due heavily in part to its VRAM. Just the same as I don't see RX6000 series keeping up with games that use RT but the thing is games that use heavy RT are going to take a lot longer to come to fruition than a game that uses upwards of 10GB+ VRAM. Especially when the consoles have 16GB most of which is dedicated to games. As consoles more or less dictate what happens to triple A games, with them having weak RT performance but large amounts of memory.... which one do you think developers are going to want to use first?

Yes you are correct no matter how much you spend on your PC there is going to be compromises, I agree. But it still makes me laugh that Nvidia and AMD have been able to sell upscaling that in principle lowers the rendering on said game. Go back 10-15 years and that would of been a laughing stock in the pc community. Obviously attitudes change and technology progresses, all I was stating was an observation/opinion.

12. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    So you mean the XSS, which got 10GB RAM (and only 8GB usable for games). Gotcha.

8GB VRAM will be fine in the future, unless you insist of cranking everying up to Ultra.

13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    xsx,the most powerful and advanced console,does indeed have 8-10g vram.
    it means that 8g is fine,but it's not like it's enough in every scenario.
    imo it's not a deal breaker,but there is no headroom either.

CPC_RedDawn and DannyD like this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    The 3060ti sounds about right to me, perhaps if a deal in Nov pops up, not looked at their price and don't want to know right now anyways.
    I'd say the average gamer, who plays on the lower end cards (like rx470 and the nvidia equivalent like some of our beloved members here) up to the high end 3090 /6900xt,
    in average i'd say most would have 1080 or thereabouts and whichever amd card was out then or perhaps slightly newer for the amd users not sure.
    So at least for nvidia id say 1070 /1080 /1080ti would be the most cards used between these gamers.
    Many folks didn't like 20 series but got supers, many folks have 30 series now.

15. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Show me 1 example that having 8GB VRAM negatively affect performance at 1440p, can you? probably not.

16GB RAM on the consoles is not dedicated to to the GPU, it's everything from OS to Softwares, you have at least 16GB of system RAM on your PC don't you?

Consoles mean nada on the PC really, you think Cyberpunk 2077 is optimized for Consoles :rolleyes:? when a true console game being ported to PC, the developers will have to optimize it for the most popular PC config out there and that is 8GB VRAM, there are some shitty PC ports that use more VRAM than that but it's far and few between, so yeah you are just being nitpicky.

Overall any 3060 Ti and 3070 owner can enjoy the hell out of every games at 1440p at the max settings including RT for the next 3-4 years then sell them, or just keep them around to play MMO, rather than overspending on a GPU with excess VRAM and lower performance, only for it to excel when it has become irrelevant, as AMD fans like to call it FineWine :p. I'm pretty sure you will change your 6800XT to something new in the next 3-4 years too, as it will not be able to handle AAA games with or without RT.

GoldenTiger likes this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Love how people complain about nit picking and then proceed to nit pick someones opinion to suit their own opinion by missing out stuff that the original person said :rolleyes:o_O

Airbud, nizzen and carnivore like this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    performance and features are still a lot more important for a gpu these days, 8 vs 16 is gonna make some impact, but really, just from purely quantitative perspective, faster rt performance on nvidia 30-series cards are gonna make a lot more difference in performance numbers and the number of games,by far.
    imo none is ideal,but a more powerful and versatile 8g card like 3070 is still a lot better tradeoff than 6700xt that barely does rt.3070 does rt very comfortably at 1440p.there will be cases of 8g causing issues,but how often - not very often I would imagine.so both 3070 and 6700xt have drawbacks,but they're not equally impactful on the cards performance.

DannyD likes this.
  18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Performance and features for me too, i'd like that re-size-bar going on in my next build.
    gonna be gen4 pcie with maybe 30 series?

19. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    Unless you are doing something meaningful with the excess VRAM right now then it's justified buying the 6700XT over the 3070, buying inferior product at the same price just for the sake of future proofing is rather idiotic. Yes the whole FineWine is pretty stupid to me too, like I care that the Radeon VII is faster than my old 1080Ti when already gave it always LMAO

Edit: oh wait the Radeon VII is still shitty in 2021

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Fine wine is real and many users appreciate it.