Steam In-Home Streaming beta first impressions (PCGAMER)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ibitato, Jan 28, 2014.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm .. that sucks. I had hoped to be able to use my PC normally while it is streaming to another.

2. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    Thanks Mate,

I cant wait, I got a old desktop with amd dual core 4400+ 1.5gb ram on win 7 basic with an amd hd5450 gpu with HDMI output to a TV, does anybody know how that would fare over a fast 300Mbps wireless network? and a 130Mbps network?

or should I look at getting a cheap slightly better machine with a more capable cpu/ram setup?

Any help appreciated I would like to get this ready for as soon as a public beta comes out :)

3. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I'm using a dualcore laptop, 4GB ram with intel graphics over Wi-Fi - Bandwidth usage over wifi with DayZ or Civ5 is around 75-80Mbps @ 720p - On my livingroom HTPC with Gbit it is usually around 400-500Mbps @ 1080p

Edit: Quality of stream is regualted for what connection you have.. you also have the ability to limit bandwidth

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    cool so should work well i can only game @720p on both my upstairs and downstairs tv's so i think it will be ok hopefully really really cant wait now xD

5. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Not that there would be much point to streaming less intensive softwares but can't you in theory stream just about any software application since you can put any application on steam's library already anyways?

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Not everything - I've manager to stream things like explorer.exe and such, but alot of other software does not work.

you just prompted that steam is unable to connect to the host when you try to stream something like chrome etc.. Not sure how the steaming service works but i as i remember i think someone mentioned that the streaming does not work if it does not detect it as a 3D application or something, but exploreer.exe is not 3D application (maybe aero tricks it or something)...

I managed also to stream Battlefield 4.. but streaming service refuses aknowledge it as a 3D app and just streams it at 12FPS or something.

This also might just be that the service is still in its earlie stage and full of bugs :D

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I'm not sure about the windows part for the client PC. Is it only windows only for the client PC too?

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

linux will be used, as in the steam box

9. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Linux and MAC is also supported. I've tested with steamOS - Works just as good as streaming to a windows computer :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    there are video artifacts i suppose?

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I got an invite today. Pretty much everyone in the in home streaming group has one now. You guys in too?

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

On this ne, id rather wait until is released
    I dont want to circumvent my opnion of the service

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It works pretty good though. I read that 5Ghz network would be ideal for wifi connections but my laptop doesn't have that so I have to put up with random latency spikes on 2.4 Ghz :( OpenGL streams crash and burn lol.

14. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Lucidus, how much Mbps does your computer, router and laptop put out? Do you think 150Mbps would be enough or at least 300Mbps?

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My router is a dual band wireless n router so it should be close to 300mbps however the laptop has only a half duplex 2.4ghz card so it is limited to 72mbps. What you really need is a 5ghz network so that there is no interference. I think the streaming is limited to 30mbps iirc what Linus said on his show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL71Q6eJ2Y

16. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I got into the beta last night, but my poor wittle waptop can't handle the decode. Guess it is time to talk my wife into a new one...

17. deets75

deets75 Guest

I have been trying it out and im hugely impressed. At first I thought it was awful but thats due to my intel laptop and having the stats running permanently.

If I then limit the res to 720p and 30fps I can play all my games pretty much perfectly.

18. logicPwn

logicPwn Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Great, can replace SplashTop for me. Can this work over the Internet with the right latency and bandwidth?

19. deets75

deets75 Guest

nope

20. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I got an invite, tried it out on a antenna less wifi usb dongle (300mbps). It actually ran games quite fine at 720p,60fps. I had my laptop just close to my pc. The range on this usb thing sucks, but next room it seemed to work just as well with a few latency spikes. However signal dies off till the living room.