Steam exploded in 2009!!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by thecake90, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Games are going to get bigger but internet connections are going to get faster also

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    They may be going faster but bandwidth caps aren't going to go up >.>"

deltatux

3. Rizzla

Rizzla Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB
    Ye, if I had a 20Mb uncapped connection, then I would use steam. I won't be using steam (for game purchases) for at least the next 10 years.

4. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    A lot of good point in the thread but in all honesty it's a "To each his own" Situation...

Me personally, I use steam, have over 30+ games that I've bought over it and it all started with Half-Life 2 like i'm sure it did with most of us.

Yes, it has it's downsides, once you buy a game it is locked to your account. Be it a downloaded game or a physical copy as there are some retail games that use Steam as a gateway (F.E.A.R. 2, Modern Warfare 2) At the same time though, can any of us really name any games that's come out in the last 5 years that has had a registration system that didn't in some form of fashion "lock" a game to you after you register the key?

Even back in the golden age, (Quake 2-3, Half-Life) if you tried to get online with a key that had already been registered you got a message stating that you could not play online due to the key being actively used already. And outside of the few companies that allow you to transfer keys or release them, it's more hassle than it's worth as you have to provide the original purchase location, fax or email them a photocopy of the receipt, etc... I know, I tried with a game or two, it's not worth it in the end cause I don't know about you guys, I don't keep my receipts too long after purchase.

Regardless, I think it's great news. Considering my hard drive has more room than my apartment, I save my physical purchases for the special games (or impulse buys)

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    you speak for every isp? i have a 24 down and no limits at all i have had a dead hdd and redownloaded each steam totalling a nice 300GB

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    no, i meant Canadian ISPs, sorry. Most services (only know of a very small few and it's not available unless you're literally living in the city core or in the metropolitan) have very limited caps.

If I didn't have my stringent bandwidth usage regime, my bro and I can easily overrun our 60GB cap without an issue. Issue is that our plan already costs a lot of money imo so I don't have a choice since I don't have a DSLAM near me to go for a better ISP. This is a major issue for people like me who live in the suburbs.

deltatux

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Well, here in Poland most of ISPs had pretty nasty limits, but now (except for rare cases) Cable and ADSL providers don't limit bandwidth at all. Perhaps it'll be the same in Canad in some time.

Too bad for Steam that:
    1. Steam often has $1 = 1€ conversion, which sucks.
    2. Steam games are often overpriced compared to boxed EU versions.
    3. Games in Europe are expensive in general. Fortunately, in Poland boxed games are usually cheaper. I created my Steam account for holiday offers and L4D2. In other cases, I just get boxed version for 1.5-2.5x less.
    4. Games also get cheaper after release. I can't believe that for example (I chose this one on purpose) CoD4: Modern Warfare costs 50€ on Steam, when I can buy it (new) for 1/5 of that price.

8. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    But you can mod them. In fact, I have modded Hearts of Iron 3 with my own little division symbols. But texture/model changing ala Counter-Strike is very rare in the multiplayer scene. Most just prohibit it because it would allow people to swap player models to bright purple textures, making them easier to see. And the folder structure is like I just showed with every game.

In short: You can mod texture files with Steam just fine.

9. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    I never sell my games so for me personally Steam - not least their weekend deals - is a great way to get games. I'm also housebound so getting to a physical shop is somewhere between "impossible" and "not a ****ing chance" :infinity:

10. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    but isp's are capping the amount you can download are they not cause of this ? , they are in the uk look at virgin . they half your speed at least if you use a lot of bandwidth ?

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    capped net bandwidth, does that still exist lolz..

12. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    does in the uk :( , i used to get reduced speed every night when gaming online . one of the reasons i got rid of virgin broadband

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    wow that sucks :3eyes:

But hey, still better than pos unstable net with packet loss.. I know i had crappy 1mbit before and it was on some **** emx structure, so i had to share my line (copper fuse, if that's the right word for it :O) with up to 3 users and each could have 1mbit, but i had nothing but problems with it for over a year:bang:,..

tnx god i got cable now 20mibt:nerd:, and they upgraded to docsis 3.0 two months ago and yea its fast and stable now ^^, before i had drops to low as 5mbit from 15mbit in rush hours.

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    I still prefer physical media with no internet activation because this way I can always count on being able to play even if the internet doesn't work well.
    But I did purchase one game through steam even though I already had it, Beyond Good and Evil because the price was low and looking for 3 disks can be time consuming.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    depends. My options are 6 meg or 8 meg. has been for years. IF it ever rises I suspect prices for higher options would also rise.

If a game is 30 gigs. How long does it take on a 20 meg connection? I also would have to ask how fast does Steam servers allow?
    If its more than 2 hrs, i say thats rediculous. I can pick up a copy and image a backup within the hour if i wanted. But i'll be lucky to see a 20 meg connection within the next 5-10 years considering Comcast does'nt do much infrastructure wise around my area.

Considering the economy, there may come a time when i'll have to cancel my braudband and get dialup or nothing at all.

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    actually, that's a on coming trend, more and more residential ISP providers are capping their users because "to provide better traffic for all our customers" ... which we all know is "to suck more money and make you our bitches"

deltatux

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Comcast = 250Gigs so yes.... and with today's videos, games and other stuff in a month I could hit that with no problem. But since for example Netflix only has "older" not too interesting movies for download each day, its unlikely I'll test that barrier again. I have gotten close a few times but only when doing alot and I mean ALOT of uploading and downloading within a months time for whatever reasons.

exactly