Steam exploded in 2009!!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by thecake90, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i hate xfire aswell, if steam wasn't here then i wouldn't, but since steam is here i do, because, though xfire does do some things steam does not, it's also extremely buggy, doesn't like most, if not all, DX10 games, as well as many, many other things

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    i dont use ingame chat in both because both apps are buggy in allot of games.

For me xfire is more user chat friendly than steam as overall..

3. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    or you could just use the steam backup option for free ;) and put them on cd's dvd's or hdds

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I can't stand Digital Downloads of games... and WE as in gamers shouldn't accept this as a lazy way out. I'll explain: You go buy a game (physical copy in hand) and you play it for a while and then your done. You can then sell the physical copy for at least something to go towards a new game. You can't sell a digital copy and that is why I will never use Steam or any other digital download company.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Well that logic can turn around and f*** you in the *** cause what if you lost your physical copy

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Steam used to that extra annoying, not very good program that I installed along with Half-Life 2, now its has become permanently installed due that amount of other developers games I've bought on the cheap, and since my games are always there its really nice.

Most if not all digital copies can be extracted and created into an image you can burn, in fact there are some when extracted are just that, a DVD or CD image of the game.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    But...

Not everybody sells their games. You aren't required to.

To each their own though. I don't feel it's lazy to have downloadable games. Having the game downloadable or not doesn't make you, or not make you a gamer either.

8. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Hardly surprising. I bet the end of year sales really bumped up things too. Steam is great because it's not just a distribution platform, but an entire networking platform. When games fully integrate with it, it makes multiplayer a breeze. Others, like Borderlands for instance, are an absolute pain to setup which is one of the major faults of PC gaming. I wish more games would use Steam's, or Steam-like, server management systems because it is so much faster to set things up.

9. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    steam rocks.
    tbh i dont see point buying games anywhere else but steam now unless its for ps3.
    or not on steam well could just boycot it if it aint on steam :p

10. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    ya steam got good in my book, i was one of those who said id never buy games online cause i like to have the case and disc. but ive changed that thought and now get stuff on steam. I hope this goes good for pc game sales and pc games get more attention

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    LOL

Absolutely seconded, WhiteLightning. :wanker:

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Same thing here.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I still hate it. It's like a prison. Locks your games down to a single account to make sure you can never sell them. That and a ton of connection issues... and the files arrange in their own weird format rather than standard game making them annoying to mod. Even if you do mod them can you do that without being banned online?

In fact, I can't connect online in TF2 right now (the only steam game I installed since formatting) and I have no idea why.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why on earth would you mod a multiplayer game? To get an advantage over other people? Regular mods (total conversions and smaller mods) still work as inteded. And what's this "own weird format"? The file and folder structures are the same with all steam and their non-steam brothers.

You need to back up your complain a little bit :p

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I mod things in games mostly to improve the appearance. Maybe the file structure is the same for Valve games but other games do not use that weird form in their non-steam versions.

16. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I think people who are legitamite pc gamers.. this news is music to our ears. This really could save the industry for us.. I would however like someone to challenge valve with another service thats comparable to steam. If valve gains to much power that could adversly effect us in some way. Hopefully the guys over at valve want to help and not hurt the industry.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Because MW2 and a few other games don't work without it. It's like me saying you can only buy water if you buy spoons, then been suprised that spoon sales increased.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    then I'd bet people will say the same for GFWL in the future when it's fully established. Both are literally the same type of service programs and integrate with its corresponding games.

Thus, I see two major players in the distribution game:
    STEAM
    GFWL

I'd say STEAM would be more popular due to the fact that it's been around longer thus a larger install base.

deltatux

19. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I refuse to buy from GFWL, their carnival style system of money changing is insulting to me.

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    huh? You use US Dollars to pay for the games (if in North America). I don't get how it's "carnival style system of money changing"

deltatux