Steam Deck......the new Steam Link portable??

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by allesclar, Jul 20, 2021.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I actually think this is going to be a huge success, and price is not really that bad, considering that is a full blown miniature PC. And storage is expandable also.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    One thing I picked up on was that the list of games that can be played on the handheld is going to be small. It can be hooked up to a monitor so that's cool. Bascially a mini PC.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hmm I think you can play all the steam games no exception, and you can even install windows, and run Microsoft store games (so also gamepass ) on it. There is no limit to what you can play. Pretty sure that is what they said (around 4:30 min something … bellow video).

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    You can play any game you own on the it. but why would you want to with only 6 buttons?

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    How do you count 6 buttons? There 4 face, 4 shoulder and 4 on the back you can program.

Nevermind two analogues with a button each and the two trackpads

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I was wondering.... the buttons on the back of a controller, I thought rear buttons like that were a patent owned by one of the custom controller makers... or am I mistaken, I think I remember reading something about rear buttons on like, the xbox controller? not being allowed because the patent was owned by someone?

I forget... it was so long ago, I guess I'm wrong.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Why's that?

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    You wouldn't really want to play a strategy or a MMO for example on it. Or perhaps people would...

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Been watching a lot of content about this. I am not a console guy, yet I am intrigued.
    The Linux Gamer and Linus Tech Tips gave more information about it.
    What I like is that the system updates and the BIOS updates are available from the same repository as usual updates.
    This is of importance, because you just don't have to worry about flashing and updating the BIOS separately.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix

Ghosty likes this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    For those curious to see whats inside the Steam Deck, Valve has made this presentation.

13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I don't see it succeeding. PC portable is usually laptops - which are more capable and available in many variants. PC's/desktop for home use. I don't see why anyone would want this - for portability there's stuff like mobile phones and switch has a fantastic amount of software. If I were that interested in pc gaming on the go, I'd want a laptop personally. Better hardware, larger screen, longer lifecycle. I just don't understand who this is for?

14. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    For people that actually want to paly on the go. Laptops cannot be compared to this in any way. You can’t pull out a laptop and play on a bus, plane, car or in the bed or even on the toilet .. well you can, if you are a psycho. Same people that like the Switch basically. I like the form factor of the Switch, but I’m not interested in the games and the hardware is meh. This on the other hand looks just like the toy to get. You get you Steam library, so no need to purchase over prized Switch games, the hardware is much better, and if you like, you can tinker with it and install third party stuff.

I have little to no use for handheld gaming devices, as I do not travel much, or when I do I’m driving, can’t use it at work, and at home I have a big screen to enjoy. Still I find this so cool, I want one..

SerotoNiN likes this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Plus this might turn out to be a great handheld emulator, can't imagine the amount of emulation this thing will offer if they emulation scene take to it.

SerotoNiN likes this.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I can imagine this device running a distro with hacking scripts modified with predetermined choices, to minimise keyboard input.
    One can launch a pentest and hack into systems and celebrate victory playing some games.
    Nerdy and within real possibility.

What I see is the huge amount of games running under Linux, because of Valve's involvement in developing and implementing Proton. By that alone, the argument that some will not switch to Linux because of gaming becomes invalid.
    Offering this layer of compatibility, more and more will switch over. I know, sound optimistic and nerdy, but not all users are ok with an operation system who spies users and sells their data.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    if anyone needs to game while in the bathroom, they have bigger issues lol. I've never had an issue with my laptop in bed, or plane. But I get what you're saying. I just find it too compromising, but I'm getting old. I'm losing touch with what the youth wants I guess.

18. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    The day it emulates switch games will be comical. And ironic to a point.

19. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I was joking about the toilet of course. I don’t use any devices in there, but there are people that will go with their phone or Switch I’m sure. I’m not getting any younger too, but I can clearly see the convenience of something like this – small, handheld, battery powered PC. You can instantly get into a quick game session and put it away. A laptop, especially a gaming one is a whole process or looking for a power outlet (if you want any performance), booting up, logging in, connecting peripherals and so on. Anyways, I hope the Steam Deck is a success, as it will propel PC gaming, Linux gaming and portable gaming – all good things IMO.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah that will be a kick in the teeth for ninty, and moreso since they just increased the price for their 12 month Switch online service costs. ha

SerotoNiN likes this.