Steam Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3050 RTX
    It could work well for Valve in the end. 5 million people on Steam at any one time. It would only need a million or so people to buy the console for it to a success. There are a fair few games on Steam that require a pad to play too.

2. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    As far as I know VALVE is not planning on selling the consoles/pc's. At least that is what it said in their article. They are working with hardware manufactures, and the manufactures are going to be selling the boxes.

SteamOS is going to be free.

I am really curious to see how this whole thing turns out, and I really hope Valve can nail it and pull this off.

3. Jouka

Jouka New Member

GPU:
    ASUS AMD 6970 2gb
  4. Jouka

Jouka New Member

GPU:
    ASUS AMD 6970 2gb
    Y'all have to think about families, people that have to justify with the household big tv + steam machine, this makes it more accessible(Hopefully).

5. VagynaFinda

VagynaFinda Member

GPU:
    evgaSC980Ti 1.5ghz 7.8ghz
    How will the right trackpad allow one to do 360's in a saturated fps like....

call of duty? I am interested!

6. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    It's not a regular laptop trackpad we're talking about here.

7. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    How you put faith to a company which doesn't have any experience on these things and does these things only because it has to?

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I actually like the design on this controller, it remains to be seen how functional it is while gaming though.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    from steams website:

"The Steam Controller was designed from the ground up to be hackable. "

Interesting...

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Interesting yeah but for what purpose? Use it to control your RC Helicopter? For Xbox? I'd be curious to know why someone would want to.

11. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    I have been gaming from my couch on PC for the last 3 years or so I am looking forward to getting my hands on one.

The design looks a little bit iffy but once you realize the buttons in the middle just being "start" "select" etc. the versatility of it sounds quite promising.

Just need to play streetfighter on it before I can give final verdict.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The problem with it is that like everything else from Valve this week they seem to be catering to a tiny market.

Mouse/Kb diehards won't use it and controller users won't want to learn and adapt to something new, no matter how good or bad this is.

I would like to know if the game needs very specific support for it to work well?
    Is it going to emulate mouse/kb meaning you will lose analog control for moving, or will it just adapt to existing controller support?

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sure most console players when they hear PC games can be modded (..though not many lately) say the same thing.... :p

14. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Yes the buttons' position looks weird because we are accustomed to the generic gamepad layouts that we know: movement/directions on the left, action buttons on the right. But because a new thing is different from what we have get used to, it doesn't mean it won't work. And may I ask, how can you be 100% sure it just won't work, only by looking at its picture?

May be we should wait until it has been tested like the atari controller, then we all can be sure if it doesn't work? And for the mean time, just keep an open mind.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont see anything wrong with this controller, look forward too it.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Saw this in the VoF thread. :D

[​IMG]

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    The greatest issues with touch devices are lag and lack of tacticle feedback. Anyway I'd like to see how it'll work.