Steam can be forced to use less Memory, GPU, CPU

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Watcher, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Steam can be forced to use less Memory, GPU and CPU usage by making a new shortcut with the following switches applied: -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist

Example: The path to the Steam executable is usually installed in this folder in Windows: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe"

The shortcut with the switches applied reads like this:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist
    Steam will open with a much smaller foot print and will look like this:

[​IMG]

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1644304412650928789/?ctp=8

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/less_memory_with_steam.html

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Actually, its worse and doesnt recude memory or cpu usage...in idle...and i dont see its changing at (game) load.
    i also read the linked page - theres still all the steam processes like default.

Default: 295mb, cpu idle 0% ~floating
    Tweak: 315mb, cpu idle 0% ~floating

gpu-usage...? Uhm, of course,..if you have nothing to render...same with "saved" cpu usage if you cant use the browser and basic steam settings. ^^

3. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Hello ShadowDuke
    Not sure how you are able to claim this statement?

Process Explorer shows a different story: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

With the Normal Steam layout running, I have the following Steam processes running:

[​IMG]

With the Steam Mini List layout running, I have the following process running:

[​IMG]

You can clearly see More Ram. More processes and More CPU usage. GPU would also be affected by the added process to view the browser of the game tiles and store layout.

Both images were captured with Steam open on the desktop, idle and running in the background as I wrote this post.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Isn't that just the minimal mode?

View -> Small Mode in the client.

I generally just use -console -no-browser and then skip the Chromium component but if you want the actual UI to be anything at all you need this component but I launch the games manually and the updater works and the rest I can do through the command console and web arguments but it's a bit extreme for a small benefit over a bunch of browser processes that don't consume that much memory overall.

Earlier version of the client retained most of the functionality without the browser process but the new one does not, some extra settings can also reduce caching of image files when you have a lot of games tied to your account but it's not too important.

EDIT: Ah I missed that throwing out the browser was part of the initial shortcut there already, yeah that'll reduce those processes though again it also somewhat breaks the client but for now the minimal / small mode view retains the general functionality.
    Easier installation of games, uninstalling last I tested worked either via manual mode or the console and updates and client updates work even without the web processes for now at least.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Making Steam act like Google Chrome is the worst update Valve have ever done....

cerebus23 and Astyanax like this.
  6. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Thank god.. My 32GB of RAM system was really struggling.. Then I tried this one simple trick to save a micro fraction of my total RAM and now my system can run Crysis while underclocked to Pentium 3 speeds.. Thank you internet!

ShadowDuke and cerebus23 like this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    128 gb of ram the new norm so shitty coding can rule.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I guess that's one way to think about it, I currently only have 8GB so it's something I do think about when playing video games, just having stuff running in the background taking up lots of memory for no apparent reason, lazy coding won't matter as much hopefully soon once moving to a new system.

Steam prior to it's Chromium update did not use lots of memory for no apparent reason when idle, now it does..... Thanks Google.