Steam account hacked, no reply from support, really worried what's going to happen!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by prof72, Mar 4, 2013.

1. prof72

prof72 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Was wondering if any other Guru's have gone through this and could offer some reassurance it should get sorted.
    I got an email Friday saying my steam email had changed, which of course I hadn't done. So quickly tried logging into steam to find I couldn't as the password had been changed. Seriously though how dumb to have a system that lets you change email and then password so quickly and easily.
    Anyway, I have created a ticket with support where I had to give them a serial key of a game I had (luckily I have a few retail boxes).
    It is Monday however and still no reply, I am so worried now what these guys could be doing to my account and I have over 500 games on it!

Anyone know a more direct route I could go to get this sorted or some other advice, cheers?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There is no direct route. You sent in a ticket, now starts the waiting game. When you get your account back, enable steam guard and don't ever use the same password for twice. For anything.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah you will just have to wait now, but when you do get it back enable steam guard and you wont have to worry again.

Just dont submit another ticket, all that wil do is move you to the bottom of the list again, just give them time.

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
    Noticed on my email alerts someone tried accessing my account early hours of the morning I changed my steam email to a new one right away and probably report it to steam

email I found this morning happened just after midnight GMT

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: XXXXXXXXX

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
    http://www.steampowered.com

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    All i can say is, good luck with recovering the account and as soon as you do recover it, activate Steam Guard.

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yup - what others have said. For all the things Valve do right, their customer support sucks, by most accounts. One of the podcasters I listen to had this happen last year; submitted a support ticket, and did not hear back for a week. It was a full two weeks before he could access his account. The good news is that things were eventually made right. Good luck.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Why was Steamguard not enabled on your PC? If you have Steamguard enabled, you are all but immune to losing your Steam account due to a hack. If you DID have this enabled, I would wipe windows right away as it means the same person also got access to your email and who knows what else.

8. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    This happened to me quite a long time ago now and they eventually reset everything. There is an option in Steam options (not sure what it's called) but if someone/you try to change something you get an email first to confirm it's legitimate.

Not had any problems since.

9. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That's Steamguard. It's enabled by default now, I'm pretty sure.

10. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I wasn't aware of Steam Guard but on checking, it's enabled on my account so must be default.

11. prof72

prof72 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Never looked into the whole steam guard sadly. I guessed it was like those authenticators used by blizzard, so couldn't be bothered.
    I'm more worried about what they are going to do to my cloud saves and them doing bad things to the account.
    I'm pretty sure it has come about because Evernote was hacked and those two shared the same email/password :-/

Will look into the steam guard if/when I get this sorted, thanks :)

12. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Hackers will do one of three things when they steal a Steam account. Option 1: They try to sell it. This isn't really a big deal for you per se, but whoever buys it (if someone does) will be out however much they paid when Valve returns it to you.

Option 2: They steal everything in your inventory. Items from TF2, Dota 2, and game gifts in your inventory are an easy target and almost everything will almost certainly be gone if you had any of those items.

Option 3: Some really dickish hackers will actually play certain multiplayer games on your account with all the cheats they want without worry of the VAC ban the account will most likely get. They usually aimbot it up in one of the CS games, almost always resulting in a source engine multiplayer ban. This one is thankfully less common these days but it's still possible.

So overall, nothing that bad to be honest.