Stay with 980 Ti or upgrade to 1080 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BB Gun, May 24, 2016.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well the reviews are up for the 1080 and it shows quite a leap from the 980 Ti which is impressive but really sad for me since I bought my 980 Ti in November last year seeing it beaten so fast where my 980 Ti had little usage (not reaching it's limits in games) and I'm in the same dilemma I was when I was wanting to buy 980 Ti out of fear that the Pascal will easily beat it so I'm generally curious what do you folk think.

While I don't regret buying my 980 Ti that late in the year even when Pascal was announced with it's die shrink I bought my 980 Ti because I was impatient and wanted a GPU to last me for couple of years playing games on 1440p but seeing how much increase the 1080 is I'm wondering is it a smart move to upgrade to 1080 or stay with my 980 Ti ?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in forward.

EDIT: I have MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming Edition (OC-ed), if anyone is wondering.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    While the 1080 looks like a grat card, if i was you i would upgrade the rest of the system.

No doubt the 2500k have been a GREAT cpu, doing a wonderful job for more years than any other, it is maybe time to move on?

When i moved on from my trusty 2500k a couple of years ago, (@4500 since i installed it) the whole system got snappier and more responsive.

But if you do wan't a 1080, wait for the custom coolers and cards and look how they compare against your 980ti.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well I planned to upgrade to Skylake actually, but the reviews pointed out that in gaming there was less than 10% of OC-ed 2500K difference with 980 Ti so I skipped it this time.

By the way my specs aren't really updated in this forum, I'm going to fix that now.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Keep the 980ti and overhaul the rest of the system. I know Sandy is still very much capable but thinking of getting GPU like 1080/1080ti you'll need more processing power.

When it comes to gaming, Skylake CPU's are on the top of the charts. Vastly improved IPC over last gen definitely gives an edge in many games.

6700k and some decent MB/Ram would probably cost yout 500$+ but it may be a worth while upgrade this time.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Keep the 980ti and upgrade to 6700k , i upgraded from 2500k @ 4.8ghz and even though i haven't overclocked it yet, there definately is a difference. Especially in mmos, night and day.

6. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Are you planning to get the 1080 because you actually need the extra performance over your oc'ed 980Ti, or is it because it's a new shiny card? :)
    Personally i don't think the performance gap is big enough between those two cards to justify an upgrade in that area.

That's just my opinion ofcourse. We got similar systems, and i'm gonna upgrade my cpu, mobo and so on before i even go for a new card.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I say don't do anything at the moment, with one exception. Upgrade to 16gb ram.

OP, you have a similar rig to mine and I also game at 1440p. An overclocked 980ti is give or take as fast as a stock 1080. Going skylake would be one of the options, but do you really feel that you need to do it now? Your games are running well, right? And if there's games out there that run terribly on your rig (doubt it), skylake won't magically fix that.

I'd stick to what you have now. Games are running nicely, no rush to upgrade. Wait for Zen to come and 1080ti. With Zen we might see something interesting from AMD and if it's snapping at the heels of Skylake, intel might even drop the prices. Then buy a 1080ti whenever it comes out. That would be a real update.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I've seen many people on this forum using a heavily oc'd 2500k with 980ti's or even Fury X's without problems.

I saw eclap score with 2500k+980ti and he was getting 20k+ graphics score in firestrike without any serious indication of any bottlenecking.

But yeah, some games like mmo's does seen an improvement and only becouse of higher IPC.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I'll second those upgrade notions. Grab a 6700K and hold off until the 1080Ti releases. Or, wait on Zen (could be a game changer) and build a whole new rig around XMAS.

We're staring to see games where hyperthreading (or simply more cores) actually matters. You may even go X99.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You should probably watch this video how past gen i7's and Dual e5-2670 Xeon 8c16t lost to Skylake i5 6600k in every single game.

Faster IPC and higher core clock is what matters, not HT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xt7hceIAPk

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    the 1080 is not in the 980ti upgrade path upgrade the 980/970 and below for the 1080/1070

the 980ti will upgrade to 1080ti or what ever they will call it.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I usually upgrade my graphics card every 12-18 months, which is typically when NVIDIA releases its new high-end card (that is not a Titan!).

However, while the GTX 1080 looks like a really nice card and is faster than the GTX 980 Ti in every benchmark I have seen, sometimes by as much as 25-30%, there are two main things putting me off right now.

1. The $100 premium for the reference card which raises the card's price from £560 to £620 here in the UK. As someone who prefers the reference design that just stinks of sheer greed by NVIDIA. They have always released reference cards in the past so what makes this Founder's Edition so special? IMO, absolutely nothing except for the fact that it costs more.

2. Knowing that the GTX 1080 Ti could be just 6-7 months away at a similar or only slightly higher price. I do not really need the extra performance right now; summer is traditionally a period when few new games are released anyway so I might as well wait and see what the autumn brings. Even if the GTX 1080 Ti is not released this year then it will almost certainly be released in early 2017.

Also, the 256-bit bus, ROPs and shader core count are all lower than my GTX 980 Ti and the reason why the GTX 1080 is faster is because of the smaller fabrication and much higher clock/VRAM speeds (NVIDIA have even admitted that the GTX 1080 offers the same level of performance per clock speed as the GTX 980 Ti). I would imagine the GTX 1080 Ti will be 384-bit and have more shader cores than the GTX 980 Ti which should mean a much larger performance increase (possibly as high as 50%) and, therefore, better value for money.

After two weeks of reading tons of stuff on the GTX 1080, the card no longer seems as exciting or as much as a must-have as it was. In a way I am extremely glad that the card got a paper launch because typically I get carried away with all the hype and order one as soon as I've read the reviews on launch day. NVIDIA have actually done me a big favour this time and allowed me to come to my senses! :D

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Ah well yes, don't get me wrong, the 2500k is still very capable, the only.major difference was in mmos that i play, and by major i mean at least double the fps in cpu intensive scenes, for other games yes, 2500k still good.

If i had a 2600k i wouldn't have upgraded in the first place though.

14. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Grab a 6700K , this is sound advice , i've seen a improvement all round with my 6700k @4.5,plus you get thunderbolt 3 and dual m2 slots ,usb 3.1 & ddr4 plus a few other things with skylake like pretty LEDs on your motherboard :), your 980ti will serve u well a while longer just yet and there's the possibility of sli with your ti , there been some forums members here that have just got the 980ti for silly money .
    I game at 1400p and sli 980 ti is absolutely great as long as the game has good support for it .

15. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    If you don't upgrade to at least the same tier of the new generation of cards, you'll always end up disappointed.

980 -> 1080
    980 Ti -> 1080 Ti

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I previously had a 3570K and got myself a 6700K, a brand new mobo, PSU and DDR4 memory. Had my stuff for over 3 years and felt it was time to make a change. Can say that open world games like GTAV, AC:Unity and others have gained FPS with the same GPUs (at that time), in some cases a lot.

So I both got the benefit of getting better performance across the board and also the joy of upgrading my baby. Regarding your 980Ti it's a good card 1080 AIB will undoubtedly be better but...1080Ti is the real kicker here.

So if you upgrade the rest of your system you got until next year to save up to 1080Ti and will by then have a nice, high-end system.

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I like an i5, but I only recommend one if the budget is tight. An i7 is the clear choice and many other reputable websites (who don't use flawed methodology) have already shown that hyper-threading is useful in numerous titles (at exact same clock speeds). People use their PCs for more than gaming and the i7 really shines there.

Also, Intel raised the i5 prices so the 6600K isn't the huge deal over the i7 variant it once was (3570K). The i7 6700K still costs the same (3770K). An i5 is still a better deal but less so.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    :nerd:I'm with everyone else to upgrade the rest of your system and wait til the 1080ti because you know they'll do it. The 980ti will be a good card for 1440p for alil while til the DX12 mainstream games hit and I bet it'll still get very respectable fps in those games as well.

I have been pondering on the 1080 but with that new 1070 firestrike bench I think If the 1070 is what I think it'll be which is a 980ti I'll be very happy not spending a butt load on the 1080 and then see If AMD and 1080ti have later. Also with the extra DX12 support on the 1070 I'm hoping on 1080p it won't struggle with the new games coming out.

Currently trying out my 1080p 50 inch sony TV for my PC and actually pretty impressed with the gameplay. But It is hurting my eyes more then playing the PS4 on it for some reason.

I'm still on the fence for 1440p Monitor and want to see how the 1070 performs on DSR for new games at the end of the year.

19. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    stick with yr 980Ti as u know 16nm still new yield & not mature than 28nm

20. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well I didn't check the thread yesterday after creating it and I just wanted to say thank you everyone for replying.

I think I will be keeping my 980 Ti until I see maybe a performance problems even with lowered settings.

Once again thanks folk.