stay RED or switch to GREEN

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by elpsychodiablo, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Befor Guildwars 2 Release i want to buy a new GPU. :banana:
    I have a 5770 and i need to upgrade this old Lady to play on 1080p.
    The drivers this year really sucks is there any hope to fix them this year?

What i dont like on ATI

- firefox / Flash problems
    - Mediaplayer Problems (XBMC, MPCHC, Cyberlink)
    - flickering on Dualscreen after Overclock
    - Multirendering
    - Bad Video Quality if install Vision Center
    - xsplit

Why should not switch to green, whats their problems?

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Flash is the buggiest program in the known universe and the cause of 99% of computer problems. It doesn't matter what hardware you have, you will still get crashes because of Adobe related software. You will just get Flash problems more often with AMD cards.

nVidia's biggest screwup was releasing a driver that messed up fan control on some cards, disabling the fans, and causing them to either crash or even get damaged. However I'd take that rather than a 14+ month period of deplorable drivers.

The 3rd party support for nVidia is much stronger, thanks in part to nVidia Inspector, and to me that's a big factor.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont have any problems now, it was definitely the better move going to NVidia.
    It also saves having to put up with childish behaviour in help threads, its much more civilised on this side of the fence :)
    What made my time with ATI close to bearable was TwLs driver mods, ATI were a mess internally then and the attitude of ATIs driver team on the forum here stunk, I hope they have improved.

4. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    As a long time AMD user... go green. I recently switched to Intel for my CPU and next time I'll be going Nvidia for my GPU(s). Not worth the driver difficulties.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Flash problems are not the card, it is the program as flash player is the worst coded program ever since Adobe bought Macromedia. Flash Player 11 finally works (for me at least) without crashing, or not displaying video or content with the latest release.

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    there's a driver team here? no there isnt... spyre is insider beta, but not part of the 'driver team'

any other actual employees that i know of only appear once every few months, across all forums (rage3d, beyond3d, etc)

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There were members contributing that appeared to be a liaison between the public and ATIs driver team (they were ATI then).

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Amds problem is all the different partly functional beta`s which gives the perseption of bad drivers,as for certified drivers i rarely have issues with them,ive never had problems with adode fp,my 7970 has been great but i may switch when arma3 is released but it depends if i have issues with anistrophic filtering like arma2,if i have to turn it off in arma3 then i`ll switch,ive had great cards from both teams but they both have problems too

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    IN the time ive been with this website ive seen childishness on both sides

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I've had both Nvidia and AMD in the past, and had much more problems on Nvidia than AMD. I've never used Crossfire though, but I don't think Crossfire or SLI are really worth it unless it is a necessity, since both have issues.

It seems many of the problems with AMD is the over-enthusiastic overclocks some people put on their cards. Different cards react differently to overclock. I don't subscribe to the principle of finding where it starts to corrupt and back off a few Mhz, it is much better to back off a bit more!

Also compare the cards based on price. You can't compare a HD7870 to a GTX670 fairly simply because the GTX670 is significantly (as a percentage) more expensive than the AMD's. You would have to compare them to a high end HD7970.

I personally will be upgrading to the HD8xxx series once it comes out, as I am more than happy with the way the HD7xxx series is going. The drivers from now on should be better, AMD have changed the way they do their drivers, and the drivers for the new GCN architecture is maturing. For Nvidia, you have to go back a couple of generations for such a major architecture change, and the drivers then for Nvidia also suffered for a while.

Flash is what causes Firefox to crash. As HTML5 matures the need for flash will probably come less important, and will probably be more like a HTML5 extension. That said, no doubt it will be a long long time before websites retire the use of existing Flash.

So which one to go for? Honestly either are fine, but don't knock the HD7970. The main thing to think of is upgrading when the new gen comes out, it makes it more cost effective and the HD8xxx series looks to be really quite excellent.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  12. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan X
    This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the Green pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

13. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    You win the internetz

10/10

14. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    Between Nvidia and ATI, I would say I have had about the same amount of problems. However Nvidia always seem to be ahead with regards to drivers for games, eg a new game comes out Nvidia have drivers ready. AMD you could be waiting a while.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They know about xsplit, a fix is coming. :)

16. Kharenis

Kharenis Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 @ 1100/1400
    Last time I took the Green pill I woke up naked in a bramble bush (metaphorically speaking of course). :puke2:
    Although, I'm more than willing to take a look at what's on offer next time I upgrade :nerd:

17. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Cool, 1/6 of my problems solved in near future :)

18. locust76

locust76 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6990M CF 2GB
    Here's the deal: If you want the latest and greatest games to run at launch as problem free as possible, go Nvidia.

If you want the latest and greatest games to run 2 months after launch relatively problem free, but it doesn't matter because you've already lost interest in the game, go AMD.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most of the crap in the AMD/ATI section comes from nVidia users and those too arrogant to figure out that they're causing most of their own issues.

20. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    With Games i havent significant problems because i dont have or want to build a sli / crossfire system. More Problem i have with DXVA/ DXVA2 on Movies and
    Firefox with Flash, all this problems i havent at my 2nd PC with a GF 8800 GTS 512.

The GF660TI looks sweet, i m not sure if it is suitable for my System, maybe i wait for a GF660 without TI, because i still have a old Phenom II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.