Starting 2020 Apple Will No Longer Use Intel processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's usually THE argument that some programs work on mac better than on PC and that's why someone buys it. What would be the reason now ? I mean, I guess they can do that on phones and tablets, but all of the apps would have to be remade by their developers and still maintain some compatibility of both versions for years to come.

I mean, Apple can't possibly make processor based on the existing designs as it would require licensing.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    If Apple makes a processor it will be based on ARM's instruction set, they already have an ARM custom license. Also you can emulate x86 applications on ARM, Microsoft is doing it with Windows on ARM. There are limitations with Microsoft's implementation though, specifically applications that use device drivers - it's left to be seen whether Apple's situation will be the same or if this news is even true (it probably is).

3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Clearly a typo...lets fix that for ya...

"But they will continue selling $30 phones for $1000."

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    This will Hurt Intel big-time,not a good thing at all.

5. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    It won't hurt them that bad, Mac only makes up about 5% of the install base. ARM cpu's are not suited for CAD like program's so they will have to keep offering either Intel or AMD on the high end models.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 8GB
    Cant blame them when nothing be morons buy them in droves.
    But alot of people are after the S9 and ditiching Iphones alot. Im suprised how many of my rabid Apple fanboy friends have gone to a LG V30 or Galaxy S9(+)

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Lol I love how we can't have an Apple thread without people randomly shitting on Apple customers for the dumbest, non-thread related reasons. Every Samsung phone I ever owned turned into a laggy, shitty, hitchy mess after 6 months and a few updates, I've had two LG phones that bootloop permanently after a year and my Huawei Nexus 6P battery dies at 40%.. Also nearly every flagship phone has a BOM of $300-400 with the exception of like chinese oneplus one things.. obviously they are marked up, how do expect these companies to pay the 800+ people working on a camera alone? Magic? It's not like Tim Cook is taking this astronomical amount of money home that's unreasonable - the rest of the money goes towards hiring more engineers/testers/software developers/sales people/support people/logistical people/etc.

It may come as a surprise for some of you, but people often buy things for various reasons not related to the company that makes it. Whether it's familiarity with the interface/design, the 10,000 previously purchased apple/google apps locking them in, specific features, previous experiences with perhaps some of the issues I listed above, or vice-versa with Apple related phone issues or whatever. But yeah, clearly they are just morons because they buy phones with essentially same markup as every other company.

For the record I own a Pixel XL2.

k3vst3r and airbud7 like this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    This. Plus I will just say, there are things that I love about my iPhone 8 for work, there are things that I love about my Moto Z. There are things the iPhone does better, there are things the Moto Z does better. High end race, they're about the same about now aside from the ecosystem that is iCloud.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If Apple does this they need to make a CPU that is alot more powerful than what they are currently offering and what is out on the market as well because when Apple made the switch from PowerPC to Intel with the Core duos and Core 2 Duos those CPUs cooked any of the Power PC offerings that Apple had at the time (2006). Plus I don't believe the reason that Apple is ditching Intel is just based on the Vulnerabilities alone because Apple does not care about Security which was proven in the past. Apple does believe that they can make a CPU that could rival what Intel is offering or outperform it.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    that would be a neat trick I would love to see.

big doubt here.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im with you there. It would be a damn miracle if they could. But there is no way they could repeat what they did in 2006.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's likely that they would prefer a custom chip that's suited to their OS and software. Apple saw the benefits of doing this with their ARM chips, and it may have also contributed to their decision to design their own GPU. Apple has always boasted about their tight software-hardware integration so they will undoubtedly go this way with a desktop CPU as well (assuming that it's real, of course). It doesn't have to win every benchmark, just the important ones.

13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080Ti FE
    Think for a moment, what do Apple do best? Yes, that's right you got it - they steal ideas. Of course their own new CPU's will work with their software. All they're gonna do is scrub off the Intel logo and pretend they made the processors themselves :p.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    Or they can rid of x32/x64 architecture :)

Passing from Intel to AMD would be a side step... macOS just fit ultra low power mobile CPU (and perform great with it).
    Side step is not in Apple vision of Marketing...

On other hand recent rumor and recent TV advertising are about the replacement of computer with a evolued iOS device that merge iPad and iMac fonction.

We will see what happen in future. But for me passing AMD seem not planed.

15. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 SLI
    [​IMG]

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Agree with this. Using ARM for their lower power hardware makes sense because people donĀ“t need a ton of CPU power to use such devices. But for professional use, they have to continue to use Intel or AMD to provide the necessary performance.

So i can see Apple using their custom CPU for their entry level devices but continuing to use Intel CPUs for their high end professional machines.

Hey, if they can sell them, more power to them! Not to mention everyone is doing or trying to do the same thing...

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Yeah they cannot do that, except if they pay a lot of money to Intel to license the instruction set, which might cost them more then using Intel CPUs in the first place. If they use anything, its going to be ARM based, which is likely slower then Intels offerings (I don't see ARM producing a high-performance desktop/mobile CPU in the next 2 years) and wouldn't run old programs - or would need binary translation to run them, which is yet again even slower.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Hey man, don't you know that the A10X is as fast as a Core i7 3770? Geekbench says so! :p
    http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3036382?baseline=231758

19. blazngun

blazngun Member

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Why has no one considered they are designing their own chip in collaboration with Global Foundries on their 7nm fab process? This would be a win/win for both companies. GloFo gets a reliable customer to keep the foundry profitable and share development costs. Apple gets the best possible chips based on the latest process.The roadmap seems to jive. I say Apple realized Intel had been milking the cow with quad core for years too long, and have only decided to ramp up development as competition grew. Why would Apple want to be strapped down to 10nm Intel chips that are only coming because AMD is on the upswing, and looks to overtake Intel in the near future.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Whether or not Apple could buy AMD and be able to produce x86 CPUs that way depends on the terms of the licensing agreement AMD has with Intel and whether or not the license is transferable. It's my understanding, which could very well be wrong, that AMD's x86 license is non-transferable through sale of the company.

NVidia is a US based company. Founded and Incorporated in the US. The present corporate headquarters is in Santa Clara, California. It was incorporated in the state of Delaware. Anti-Trust laws are the only thing stopping NVidia from buying or merging with AMD. Jen-Hsun Huang was a chip designer for AMD before co-founding NVidia. Would be a bit ironic for NVidia to buy out or merge with AMD....

Quite honestly, nobody that values PC gaming should have any desire to see NVidia buy out or merge with AMD. Even if AMD were to sell the graphics division before hand, it would be the death of affordable computing. The same goes for Apple buying or merging with AMD. Consumer choice would be limited to buying Apple and their overpriced, walled garden or buying overpriced Intel based systems with Windows. Whether it be NVidia or Apple buying out or merging with AMD, consumers lose.

Btw....
    Certificate of Incorporation for NVidia: http://s22.q4cdn.com/364334381/file...orporation_-_Certificate_of_Incorporation.pdf

There are workloads where RISC instruction sets supposedly perform better than CISC (x86)... However, nothing Intel or AMD produce today are actually CISC processors in the conventional sense...

They would need a license from Intel for x86 and another license from AMD for 86x64 if they wanted to produce a 64bit processor. Both of which would fall under FRAND since they would both be necessary to compete in the x86 CPU market at this point.

ARM doesn't produce chips. They simply create chip designs that can either be produced or modified by CPU companies depending on their license. I think it was Qualcomm that was actually working on a RISC based server CPU.... Qualcomm, Apple and Samsung are the most likely companies to be capable of producing a RISC based processor with the necessary level of performance to compete with an i3 or i5 processor in desktop workloads.

sammarbella likes this.