StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowMyth, Mar 7, 2010.

1. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    watch HD's casts, he's also a good zerg player himself.

2. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 TUF OC
    I wouldn't call HD a good Zerg player...i've seen his streams, he tends to have tunnel vision style building..

Some of his games vs Terran..he was going mass muta...terran knew this, and decided double reactor marines...instead of getting banelings..he still kept getting more muta...

A good zerg player to watch is Psystarcraft, he does his own games as VOD's, gives very helpful tips, and his VOD's will be against very high ranked diamond players, he even uploads a few of his losses to show people what to do , where he went wrong/etc.

btw Fruitdealer pwned Boxer today... fantastic games to watch!

3. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
  4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Earlier I said I was going to try and learn Zerg, but it was sort of frustrating the first 10-15 minutes. I played a dozen vs AI, then I tried online and get whooped. After watching and trying different things, it seems like Zerg wasnt for me. I have then switched to start and learn Protoss. I have played vs AI on medium, hard, and have gotten the achievements for those.

I played my first Protoss online game just a while ago. I made this build without looking at strategies and video's of others by just playing around with AI. Please evaluate if you have time. I won this game in 13 minutes with a group of Void Rays and armor+1 Zeolots. Proud of myself, but I'm sure there is room for improvement.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?c84tv0j7rkwahjx

6. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 TUF OC
    Zerg is a very hard race due to it's huge macro requirement vs other races. A single mistake will cost you the game, the other races can bounce back much more easier.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If you'd lost it, I'd have laughed my ass off. Your opponent was beyond horribad, they barely even knew how to play.

He could have ended that game if he sent his zerglings at you. You should have scouted if you were rushing to void rays, any time you're doing a chancy build like that, you need to scout and see if you need to adjust to what they're doing.

Also, you should never have more than 2 workers training at a time. You could have had a gateway up much sooner if you hadn't spammed a constant 5 workers.

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Haha, I keep forgetting not to do that, but I guess its a habit of mine that I need to hold back. Was getting the armor upgrade early for the Zeolots a good idea?

9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i play protos. my build order is: 9 gate, mass zealots, 10 cyber, upgrade to warpgate asap, 11 forge, 12 gas and double gate, mass stalker, 15 quad gates, 20 robo followed by bay, mass colosi, one observer in the army always. then upgrade: shields first, then thermal lance, make twilight council and upgrade zealot speed and blink.
    how i attack: works with about everything, send chargedlots in front, keep stalkers close to colosi, for air support, attack air with stalkers, attack ground with colosi, keep zealots in front of army always! i then upgrade the melle weapons usually and then armor. i keep upgrades last to focus on buildorder.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If you're up against zerg, you wanna get the weapon upgrade first as it means that you can kill zerglings in two hits instead of 3.

11. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    the add'l delay when queuing two units in production isn't present in SC2 isn't it?

12. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    erm, this is going to sound retarded, but how do I get these achievements?
    Is it not free for all? If I'm up against 3 other AI, doesnt that mean 2 are on one team and one is solo?
    [​IMG]
    I just did a FFA and then 3 teams with myself being solo and well, nothing happened. I have already done the FFA vs 7 AI. Guess the achievements didnt stack up.

13. dechan

dechan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 1gb WF OC
    No its not FFA.
    multiplayer -> create a game. then i think you add just 3 A.Is on the other team and you left alone against em. (Havent done the achivements myself but this is how you get em, atleast i think:))

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Also you cant do them on a custom map as far as i know. You have to use Blizzard maps for those achievements.

15. p-nut

p-nut Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 5870
    Just watched your replay. I'm not good at all, just in gold league for 2's and rank 7 bronze in 1's for who knows why.

Some advice:

General:

-Don't be supply blocked. Build pylons at appropriate times, keep an eye on your food/supply count.
    -Don't stop producing probes.
    -Expand as soon as you believe it's safe or if you're in control. (Won first battle, enemy ****ed up, ect...)
    -Get warp gate technology from your cybernetic core ASAP.
    -USE HOTKEYS. I believe when watching that replay neither you or your opponents had one single group or unit hotkeyed. Also memorize the hotkeys for production units, tech, ect..
    -Attack his worker line before the actually Hatchery/Nexus/Command Center when you apply pressure.
    -SPEND YOUR MINERALS/GAS. Anything that builds up is not being put to good use. This is a major part of your macro skill which you should focus on as a beginner. Practice micro (control of individual units, using them to their full extent) later.
    -Scout, scout, and scout more. The more you know about your enemy, the better. Look out for certain buildings like a Spire, which indicates air units. If you don't have anti air units, it'll only take a few Mutas to mess up your entire base.

More in depth advise:

LEARN BUILD ORDERS. This is like your vocabulary.
    As you progress further into SC2 the early game really matters. You need to master openings and builds. You have to keep the flow going, so putting down a pylon at 9 is a must for almost any build. You can't be supply blocked early game, especially because of the amount of cheese play in bronze league.

Watch replays on Youtube from professional players, this will really help and influence your play style.

Learn about map control, out macroing your opponent by being able to secure and saturate (having a full mineral line of workers) expansions, scout their bases, and applying harassment pressure.

Using your hotkey bindings is a must for micro play. Have your zealot as main group that rushes in and tank damage while ranged group like stalker sit back. Move weaker stalkers to the back before they die. Have sentries bind to a number also to utilize it's force fields and guardian shields.

There is sooo much more to learn. It's actually a pretty deep game, not just rush and hope you win. Youtube helped me a lot and so did my friends. Enjoy the learning curb, it's not that hard to get the basics down within a week or two.

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    After not playing for a few weeks I had to get some updates and now my SC2 folder is full of torrent spam files. Is this normal? Why does the installer/downloader not clean up after it self.

And using torrent for the updates sucks anyway since I rarely ever get more than 300 kb/s and avarage about 150 kb/s on that crap.

17. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 TUF OC
    [​IMG]

Also the Emperor himself today said it..."Terran is OP"

18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I find hellions to be hell for zerg

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You build marines against banelings and you lose.

If he has enough marines to stop every single baneling from getting to his ball, then you allowed that to happen, and you should lose.

But even just a few roaches in front of a bunch of banelings would allow them to hit the marines easily.

And if he's microed enough that your banelings do very little against his marine ball, then he deserves to win, cause he micros like a champ.

20. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    Obviously you haven't seen the Foxer vs Kyrix match in the ro8 gsl.

http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens2/vod/1262

Marines with good control can own banelings