StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowMyth, Mar 7, 2010.

1. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    haven't bought it yet, cos i'm on Asia Region, waiting for the region lock to be removed.

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I just liked it better without the league system is all. Feels way to competitive, and in my opinion, StarCraft was always a casual game, and Koreans were the odd ones.

Like I mean, go to Blizzards forums, someone posts a really good idea, thought out, typed well, then

"Lol, Gold leaguer here, move along", then like 20x people agreeing with that.

Then a Diamond player suggests a bad idea, not typed out well at all, and a huge discussion comes out of it, as

"You can only make balance suggestions if you're in Diamond"

Kinda ****s the whole community up with elitist crap.

3. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    You can just play custom melée games

4. DM_777

DM_777 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 9600GT & HD3870
    i was wondering if i were a korean starcraft pro player, i would be sick of the game, can you imagine that you have to practice 12 hour a day? just thinking of it makes me want to puke.

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    DF-1, that doesn't change the problem with the forums, my problem with the leagues is that people take them far to seriously.

You see tons of topics as in

"I'm a Diamond player, so my opinion matters"

People just take these leagues to seriously. Korea has forever hurt the StarCraft community by making it an "E-Sport", that is my issue.

6. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    it's not the game that is at fault, it's the people who seems to separate the diamond vs the rest of the players.

@DM_777

not really. especially if you're paid to practice, and have a shot to be a star in your country. :)

7. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    *sigh* my friend you are absolutely right!

I couldn't put my finger on why I wasn't feeling nearly as comfortable playing with my friends in SC2 VS SC1 (which we played happily since nearly 1998 day in day out).

The competitive nature of the leagues has changed the game from a have fun killing some time game to a "I won't play unless I have bonus pool because my rec will drop" OR "Once I reach diamond I'm gonna quit playing 1v1".

It's all gotten silly, what the heck does it matter what your rec is??? At the end of the day I'm just playing to have fun, I could care less what my rec says.

8. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I recommend you keep having fun. Yes it is competitive but that is what makes it so fun for me. Custom games are like the "classic" starcraft, random casual play.
    I don't think Korea could ever "hurt" the sc2 community. They ARE the community. Maybe you feel they have made casual gamers unwelcome.
    Also as far as leagues go, I absolutely respect the opinion of a diamond league player more than a gold league or any other.
    Diamond league games are on a totally different level.
    Trust me once you hit diamond yourself you will look back and be like "what was I thinking"...
    Anyone wants to play with me sometime hit me up...sn= Fonzie friend code 280
    Love to get everyone up in diamond with me...

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Fonzie, you are a canker on multiplayer gaming with that attitude.

Korea has damaged the StarCraft series, turning from what was once a game, into a E-Sport.

No longer can you simply lose and go "Oh well", you get **** on. You know, there are really ****ty Diamond players who won their first 5 placement matches out of luck / someone left / cheese. These players are often Bronze level, and then there are Bronze / Silver league players who know the ins and out better.

I just prefer if the community could revert to the pre-Korea StarCraft community, which destroyed it and turned it into a competitive game, which it never was intended to be.

As you've just said, you respect someone who is in a made up league that means nothing, that can be gotten to by pure luck! Than someone who types out a rational thought, backed up with hard evidence, over someone who just goes

"nerf x unit, kthxbai" and cause he's Diamond, people go "Sounds fair"

But ohh, if you're below Diamond

"lol, gold nub, doesn't know how to play the game"

Do you see how stupid that is?

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    considering the level of sc2 atm. Isnt diamond the regular level?, i have a friend who never played before an RTS, he could not get higher than 1700 in AOE and mostly bcs i helped him on 2on2, and in fact he sucks at em, he's in gold league.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

11. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I agree, diamond is really not that hard to get into at the moment, which is why I respect players who are in it, and not players how complained and never got past gold league..

12. ThermaltakeX

ThermaltakeX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 295
    Korea

Just because any Korean can beat you 1v1 on SC with his/her hands tied behind their back doesn't mean you have to hate and whine about their #1 sport, which is 1337.

If you can't find anything else besides whine about your owners on SC, perhaps you should /uninstall .

13. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    I really didn't think that someone could complain about this.
    They put you in a league you belong, and then they match you up with opponents of your skill level....
    I mean it sounds almost too good...
    If you don't think there is a difference between leagues, you are sorely mistaken....

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    =/

Are you kidding me Fonzie? You are some type of troll? The most complained about thing on the forums is the league system. Go look. No, seriously. Go a /search, there are so many complaints about it.

Bronze players facing Diamond, Gold VS Silver, ect, the Leagues don't make sense. Oh, and the servers are separate, so I don't need to worry about Koreans, Thermal.

This is a favorite game of mine, as was the original, both for customs and the gameplay, I just feel sad to see it tainted by the Elitist BS games like Counter-Strike have.

15. fonzieguy

fonzieguy Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Lol the good old days, I remember back in the beta as a bronze player going against diamonds. Rough matches..
    But lo and behold, it actually moved me up...
    Its entirely skill based, whats to complain about?

16. ThermaltakeX

ThermaltakeX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 295
    If you aren't worried about the Koreans, then why are you stressing it?

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    atm, playing versus higher skilled players makes you improve rather than destroy you.

Altho idk how sc2 skill is measured, leagues instead of elo rating?. I mean, the worst guy @ diamong league can face the top1?

18. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Skill based, that's rich, that's the main complaint, EVEN IN KOREA THEY ARE COMPLAINING!

Read Team liquid sometime, the whole thing is a joke!

http://www.teamliquid.net/

This site is great for all the latest news. I'm just saying, the Koreans turned StarCraft into something it wasn't, and shouldn't be. Blizzard saw the potential for money, and made StarCraft II more competitive, removing some of the magic the original had where it just "kinda became" how it is today. They forced a natural process, and it's turned out awful.

19. Quicks

Quicks Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    This game is not all that great bought it finished it in a week playing 2-3 hours a day, played a couple of skirmish games. Definitely not worth the price and probably wont play it again in a long time.

20. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    Not team liquids fault imho. Its the fanatics on TL forum that is the problem.