StarCraft II: Heart Of The Swarm Teaser Leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 29, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? SCII runs at a fluid 60 - 89 FPS without vsync on; my machine just fine with 200/200 on 2v2 which is the mode I play most of the time.

I couldn't really stand C&C3 ... it's a half-assed game compared to Tiberian Sun.

As for the spamming, these actions aren't really seen after Gold. If you're in the higher leagues, you'll be looking at much more sophisticated strategies. Personally, I just don't like cheeses. Unit spamming is fine because you can easily change the unit composition of your army to react to it. It's a lot harder to counter cheeses.

As for Zealots and Stalkers, Zealots are relatively easy to kill off by Marauders for instance with the concussion shell upgrade for instance. Same with Stalkers. If you're Void Ray rushed, just get some Marines with stim to get rid of them. If you've got problems with Marines just use banelings to deal with them.

There's a lot of units and upgrade combination in the game. Though one gripe I have is that people apparently measure skills with high actions per minute (APM). Other than that Starcraft II is very enjoyable. I don't play competitively and play for fun, but it isn't a bad game.

Command & Conquer sucked after Tiberian Sun.

deltatux

2. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    SC2 use to lag on my 4770 when there were a lot of units on the screen. Yeah kiting zealots with marines and marauders is pretty effective, however against zerglings and roaches, I lose a lot of marines unless I use bunkers/depots or medivacs.

Do you know a good counter to mass mutalisks (2v2) ? I've tried thors but they can't catch them.

Is bunker rushing classed as cheese ? Cause its a good counter to zerg getting 14 pool and dominating the economy.

I guess I prefer CNC game mechanics - armour/damage types, directional armour and running over infantry.

I quite enjoyed CNC3, well apart from gunwalkers masscaring infantry and corrupters healing tripods. I guess it was harder for EA to balance the game with scrin as GDI and NOD were designed to counter each other.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This thread is amusing. Even if you don't like the game it's done more for PC gaming than anything else in recent time. There is a reason why Intel/Nvidia/Samsung/MSI/Razer/Logitech/SteelSeries/Kingston/**** ton more companies drop tons of advertising money on the game and it's players. There are multiple tournaments running back to back for ~$50K.

And to the person who said they should have balanced the game in beta, you have no idea what it takes to balance a game, period.

As for Muta's in 2v2, just build turret walls in key locations so they need to take certain paths and have marines in those paths. Thors are bad, you can just magic box them.

4. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I'm not a big fan of SC either. I'm really not buying the next SC2 games. Even the UMS community is only doing the same **** all over and over again. Meh.

To each their own tho

6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

That is a bunch of crap. They NEVER promised there wouldn't be any new units in the next two campaigns. What would be the point of having expansions if they didn't EXPAND the game? You are just talking out your ass because you don't like the game and are making up any bull**** excuse you can to put it down. I have no problems with you not liking the game and all but your unsubstantiated comments are getting ridiculous!

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    When there are lots of units on screen, even my PC lags. I believe with high numbers of units, the game gets more and more CPU bottlenecked.

As Terran? Vikings. You don't even need as many, since they are better, but you still don't want to be massively outnumbered. Thors are great against them if the other player doesn't magic box them (When you click a location, they all move there, converge on the one spot, and then spread out. Moving them again keeps them in this formation, unless told to attack, so you need to move them somewhere, cancel the move order by pressing S for Stop, and then they will attack). Thor's AA is only effective when they are bunched up, as they do some sweet AoE damage. And since Thors are much more expensive than Mutas, it is hard to overwhelm a big Mutarush with them.

Since Mutas are so relatively weak, turrets are very effective. A couple on your mineral line and at key points are usually enough to deter a scouting enemy from going for them. Good old bioball of Marines and Maraduers (to protect the marines from armoured ground units) is usually good enough to hold them off, so long as you keep pumping more out as the game continues. Medivacs will make them basically invincible against Mutas, so long as you watch your medivacs don't get focused down.

It is by a lot of people, but a lot of very high level players use it since it is sometimes the only real option, especially, as you mentioned, against a lot of Zerg strategies. Besides, these people know about it, so know how to counter it. I'd say a lot of "cheese" builds are only considered that by the people who don't play so much. I see them as genuine strategies tbh.

SC2 does have an armour/damage system. I don't remember how well it compares to the depth of CnC, but you have heavy and light armour. Some units do more damage against light, some against heavy. And combined with unique features of some of the units (such as the Immortal's Hardened Shields), it makes for very interesting, skill based gameplay. Everything has a counter. I always found there really was/were a unit or two that would always win on CnC, and at that point it became less and less about skill.

As for directional armour, I do enjoy that in games (DoW, CoH etc), but I am glad it is not in SC as I think the emphasis on the micro needs to be about making the most of a units abilities and strengths, rather than worrying about which way it is facing.

And lastly, again, I do enjoy infantry being able to be run over by tanks in CnC, but in SC the infantry are actually in massive mechanical suits, so being run over is unlikely. I can see an argument for being able to run over Zerglings with (say) Siege Tanks, since they are so small, but the idea behind the Zerglings is that they outnumber, surround and overwhelm enemies, so to have a tank just be able to drive through any number of Zerglings would be unbalanced. They would need to implement some sort of resistance with each Zergling run over, and, again, we are starting to get too in depth in to something that really doesn't matter imo.

I actually really enjoyed CnC3 as well. I thought the campaign was a bit pants, but I enjoyed a new game in the Tiberium universe. It wasn't as good as the first Tiberium Wars game, but it wasn't bad. I never really thought about the balance issues, what with NOD and GDI balancing each other out. Must have been difficult for EA, I agree. I finished it, which is more than I can say for most games. Shame CnC4 was absolute garbage.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  9. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I loved Kerrigan when she became Zerg, so i just hope the prize aint idiotic high, since i just have to buy this.

Now she looks even more fascinating in my mind.

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Learn to read. I said; "FOR COMPETETIVE PLAY"

AKA

'Muliplayer'

Of course there will be new units in the campaigns, but what they said is that there would be no new MULIPLAYER units in the expansions so you wouldn't HAVE to buy all 3 to keep up in MP. But they later said there would be new MP units.

So what they are doing is coercing people into buying all 3 for MP sustainability.

11. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I can read just fine but it seems that you lack any common sense. Again, you are misinformed as they have NEVER stated that. Do you think that when Brood Wars came out for SC1 that all competitive play switched to Brood Wars? Nope, it sure didn't as many tournaments still used vanilla SC. In fact, many people still play vanilla. Argue all you want but you are incorrect, uniformed and I honestly don't give a damn about your opinions on this subject anymore.

12. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    @Denial

Turret wall sounds like a good idea, thanks.

@Skiddywinks

Aren't mutas good vs vikings ? Vikings are a good counter to broodlords and carriers. I tried marines vs mutas before but got owned by their aoe damage. How many marines and medivacs would you suggest vs like 150 mutas ?

13. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The problem is not the new units, the problem is that they oinly had *1* campaign in the first game ( which despite all they claim was a money making decision ) and now they go back on their word. So you're paying for 3 games to get what we got in 2. 1 expansion pack is different to 3 3rds of a game.

So in summary as to why SC2 sucks:

1: they lied to us about the no new MP units B.S
    2. They jacked the game price up at launch
    3. They split it in 3 essentially making the game 3x as expensive.
    4. They removed LAN
    5. The graphics and optimisation sucks, it looks worse than every RTS.

I can keep going if you want, but buy all means but all 3, I'm sure they'll add more useless units liie the Thor in the expansion for E-peen.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    No, unless magic boxed, a relative number of Thors will destroy them. They have zero armour, and it is light. Fully upgraded ones are worse, but so long as you are keeping up with your upgrades, which you should be, then your Thors will still have the advantage.

As for 150 mutas, you are talking some bull**** since the unit cap is 200 and a mutalisk takes up 2 control.

16. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    i am a high masters player and i stopped playing sc2 because it just isnt going anywhere. the amount of time you need to invest to get into the low pro tiers is just so massive that it is not worth the effort. the gain is less then a 20hours/month job and for that you spend at least 200h playing/training.

but even while it is the way it is. some of you guys are just raging because you cant get out of the low level leagues like bronze - gold. if you are stuck there of course the gameplay is incredibly limited.

17. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Stopped playing Online on SC2 like 3 months ago maybe more. I only play now vs Friends just for fun and some custom maps but thats about it. To be honest i had more fun with the 1st one online than SC2. Either way i do hope they dont charge $60 for this one because i at least want to finish the story line.

And lets be honest guys who believed Blizzard that they will NOT add any extra units after the 1st part of the game?

18. LeinadBRA

LeinadBRA Member

GPU:
    9800gt SLI
    Personally, i didnt like the way Blizzard put the game on the stores, here i wanted the permanent version since the beggining, but the only option available was the 6-months-to-play pack, and i could only update to the permanent version after the time of the temporary version was expired,well, it expired, but now i have to pay an absurd amount of money if i want to get the permant one, and since i have Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II game and its two expansions (Retribution is a badass a game btw :)), witch imo trew SC2 in the trash, i think im just going to forget it and the other two. Im not saying that SC2 is a bad game, its pretty fun and balanced i think, and the history really got me in, but the way it was available and the prices... add to that the competitors that i played and had more fun, im going to skip it till maybe there comes a collectors PERMANENT pack, with a good price.
    Also, if Diablo 3 comes with the same selling system, well, sorry Blizzard but im not falling for the same trick again, im skipping it too, thou i know im going to be skipping a most problably godly (or would it be Devilish) game.