Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sneakers, May 29, 2010.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I wouldnt say the graphics are amazing. There isnt any AA for a start and I think the characters are a bit cartoony and not that great...

Storylines are ok and it's fairly easy game to get into and the combat is fun. Classes seem like there's enough playstyles to make it interesting..

Whether I'll pay the money for this and a subscription I dunno. With fifa online bf3 and skyrim this isnt mind blowing enough for me...

If you are looking for a new mmo I def think it'll keep you going for quite a bit..

2. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    So I finally played this more than ten minutes (LOL at the first beta weekend I was in...). I have mixed feelings.

Basically, I'm busy with BF3, Civilization V, and God knows how many other games I've bought and not yet played. Plus, I need to get Batman: Arkham City when they fix it up and when it's on sale. And I will definitely put everything on the back-burner for Mass Effect 3. Bit interested in Saints Row 3 as well.

I also have a BIG problem in paying for the same game more than once - especially at such a stupidly-high price every month. I could buy so many other games for than money instead. I'm not trying to devote my life to just one game - I think that's boring and stupid, but that's just me.

However, the story IS interesting. BUT, as it's an MMO, I think I'm safe in assuming that the story never "ends," am I right? I don't want to deal with something like that. I need a story to finish (and move on to the other classes and do the same for each of them). I need to beat games.

I was not interested in the online aspect of it. At all. Not one bit. I wish those other people would just go away. They're cluttering the environment, and I just want the story and the Star Wars universe, all to myself (and the AI). I think it's weird that all these people have the same story that I do. It takes away from the believability and the immersion for me.

So in short - I'm not buying this. Not yet anyways. Perhaps when it's on sale and I can get a few months of subscription either for free or for cheap. And also once I see reviews and hear other people's input on it.

I just don't think the obsessing-over-inventory-items and the maxing-out-character-abilities thing appeals too me very much. MMORPGs continue to be something very contrary to my gaming tastes. Seems too endless. And life-consuming.

**** LucasArts and BioWare (yes, you too, even though you still rock) for not making KotOR 3. And **** LucasArts especially for not releasing a single good SW game since 2005.

Oh, BTW, the lack of AA is painful. And the cartoony graphics and awful clipping problems are...not ignorable.

- PR-0927

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. Johnny316

Johnny316 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DCII
    Cheers mate.

I had a feeling that you would be able to somehow, but still trying to work with the interface atm

4. soltitade

soltitade Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Lightning 580
    Cba for some long review,all i can say i hyped this game so much over the years i was sure there was no way in hell it would deliver,well it sure did even more then i expected i cannot wait for more !

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Not sure what i was expecting, but i can't see myself buying this.

6. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    That's true there is so many games released recently that make swtor look like **** lol... it's going to fun without any doubt but it's going to need some time investment and some cash to spill. I might escape on this game as a whole and just get gw2 which is free and has more innovation than any other mmo to date.

7. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I'm really surprised that some are saying they don't like the game's graphics. I guess maybe since you've only seen the starter planet you're on. The later planets(except Hoth) look fantastic IMO. I'm on one of the later planets called Voss and it looks amazing but once on Balmorra I think you guys will like the graphics more.

8. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

No I've seen several locations now. But in a world full of BF3, SS3, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, etc., this really can't hold a candle. At all. Several people's beards and tusks go right through their bodies when they talk. No AA (yet), and overall a cartoony feel.

Low-poly models as well.

- PR-0927

9. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I personally am fine with their choice for graphics and art design because it's an mmo. Making it look like Rift, Aion or AoC will be nice at first, but later on as you get in to raids and big stuff, it's going to kill your fps. They don't just want people with badass systems to play this game, but a wide variety.

Off topic: Wish there was a possibility of co-op in skyrim lol

10. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    That is not entirely true. Large scale battles and raid are done in other MMOs that look better and don't drop FPS. The large set piece battles in Guild Wars 2 make me feel really disappointed in any Old Republic footage I see.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Graphics are ok for an mmo, I like the cartoon style as I did WoW's when it came out. The strong point of this game remains the story/dialogues/voice acting.

As for so many games coming out now, it's frustrating but in a good way. Thing is in the long run, it will be cheaper to buy swtor now, play it for say 6 months and then get all these games at discounts, at least that's what I'll do.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    weekend ended. so i missed the chance of playing ? damn man :/

13. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Big shinny raids you no like? Comon! On Akylios even the room/chamber looks breathtaking. I say give us more of that

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  14. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    played it a bit last night..don't know what to say, i need more time to decide if this is worth my monthly money..

15. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
    I like the art style, sometimes its almost like playing in a painting :)

16. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    What are the system specs that the guys were playing it at? Probably high.

You don't get it. Rift would have 10x times more players if it graphics weren't too heavy. I get around 40-50fps on my rig on Ember Isle and that's without AA. It's not just the game's graphics but somewhat game's engine fault as well - it sucks.

It's not like they thought the game would look cool with that kind of graphics so they picked that style. A lot of thought has gone into deciding what to go with.

17. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    This game won't beat or even challenge WoW - not that I like WoW (far from it) but The Old Republic feels really flat and uninspired.

18. gbooster

gbooster Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac 1080gtx
    I really like SWTOR, but the game is SO linear. It's a great classic Bioware game, but for an MMO, I just don't know. I think they did it so no one would pirate their game more than anything.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    No u can still play. I think it will end in about an hour.

I got to lvl18, uploading pics of my character now and the awesome planet i'm on :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Yes it's tatooine, the other pics where all black god damnit :(
    So i made a new one when i was on Tatooine.

[​IMG]

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    So far i think it surpasses WoW easly... it's REALLY fun. I never had this fun in a MMO.
    I've always and only played WoW, every other mmo i disliked.

I'm glad i finally found an other mmo wich is even more fun then WoW.

You have to play more and then judge the game, i found it not too great either at start.

But i kept playing, and when i went to other planet the fun began. :D

Omg what a view!
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us