Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ghosty, Jun 15, 2020.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    So guys, is this really X-Wing slash TIE Fighter properly brought to year 2020?
    Solid SP campaign, fun combat, good flight model, micro-managing your ship and that stuff?

I will buy (later) if true, X-Wing and TIE Fighter are some of my all time favorite games.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Well from what i can tell from the trailers it looks like a expanded version of the Rogue Squad PSVR mission that came out on the PSVR 3 years ago, and nothing wrong with that as that was and still is quite impressive, and was free, and you did have some power settings but not as complex as the old T/X fighters games from back in the day, very much arcade than simulator, and i suspect this will be the same, press d pad for max power to sheilds, or max to engines or weapons was all you could do in that version, and i would think a flightstick setup would be overkill because again those game controls will no doubt be more arcade than simulator, and again nothing wrong with that, but the only worry is how long is the single player and will the game be too focused on online to sell garbage cosmetics up the wazzo.......only time will tell.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Review from one of those guys who does reviews on that tube

Looks ok and the fact that it's not a full priced title changed my initial vibes about the game more towards more positive. Apparently game has a bug on PC atm where it might run at 150fps or whatever but it looks like 60fps which was mentioned by some above. Devs are apparently looking into it.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    £35 on Steam. I expected it to cost less than that.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Mixed reviews on Steam, many are complaining about performance but also controls.

Some said there's forced auto-aim? Really hope not.

Though I'd imagine vast majority are playing MP which I really don't care about, at least initially. All I want is proper X-W / T F game.

However, doesn't seem to require Origin client running? Yes please?? Can anyone confirm???

6. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Remapping your HOTAS x and y axis to any other axis will remove the dead zones.

The game has a default dead zone for x and y axis.

Locking the game to 60FPS brings the frame rate in-line with the game's engine and results in smooth game play.

Steam version uses Origin's new thin client, so you don't need original Origin client running as well.

As for the game, its like SWBF2 and BFV space/air combat.

I'm having fun because I like the above games arcade flight model/mechanics.

Can I recommend it? cautiously.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

ACG Backpedal?

How could he not notice on his first video?

And now notice after release?

His original performance review helped sales no doubt.

"Performance is stellar, no hitches or glitches or problems" -ACG

"This titles performance is pretty spectacular" - ACG

AsiJu, DocStr4ngelove and Repo Man like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ said he now used a different display.

@Darren Hodgson said above for him even if fps is high motion seems bad, guess this is the same issue.

But as I have a 144 Hz display I will definitely wait this out.
    Looks like Winter or Xmas sale purchase for me.

9. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Uh ooooh ACG as EA mouthpiece confirmed! Tough times dude. :rolleyes:

10. Forceflow

Forceflow Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Played it for a few minutes, but the 144 fps - but choppy framerate made me vomit. I'll wait until this is patched up a bit more. Damn it, stupid urge to pre-order everything even remotely Star Wars-related.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Well, not that it has anything to do with EA but I unsubbed ACG a while back.

Having a Patreon link and politely mentioning it every so often is fine.

Rambling on about YT demonetization in the end of nearly every video and hinting people should donate because his reviews help them save money, is not.

(Also the "reviews that aren't two minutes long or filled with sponsored bullcrap" got annoying.
    There perhaps are a FEW other YouTubers who do the same?)

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I miss demo's.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    WELL!!!

I'm amazed tbh. When i play this with the Index and a 360 controller i feel like the kid again that i was back when i saw Return of the Jedi in the 80ies for the 1st time. And now 30+ years later i finally can play this at home and in 3D! This is simply amazing and i cannot recommend enough to get a VR helmet for this!

Story so far is nothing spectacular to write home about but it's decent enough to bring back that good ol' Xwing Alliance atmosphere. Finally a game that makes waiting for November 19th easier. ;)

jbscotchman and AsiJu like this.
  14. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Ah he's fine.

He's just more of a vanilla youtuber now, Watch his content but don't go to him for reviews or opinions.

I don't really blame him tbh, Jack was doing small scale hardware vids when his battlefield content got popular. EA got in early and I don't hold it against him for being nice to a company that helped pay for his house both here and in Florida.

EA changed his life, He says so himself. No one goes to work and tells their boss how crap the work and office is.

Jack is just playing the game.

15. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    I plugged computer into my c7 oled and ran it at 4k way better smoothness than my 165hz 1440 monitor so it is a refresh bug that was present in alpha.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I watched him back when Battlefield 3 was big, I lost interest in him when he showed himself for what he really is, a paid EA mouth piece..... that's what he is, that's what he is paid to do, I no longer watch him, I'm sick of being told crap does not stink.

17. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Again, that's where a large part of his job comes from. He knows he is pigeonholed as an EA shill.

He doesn't like it either, he he doesn't like how big the channel has gotten and that he can't just do what he wants now.

He was as negative about BFV as anyone without just shouting it's crap and keeping his business going.

I know people don't like it, but it's a job at the end of it. And you gotta keep the cash cow happy.

Archvile82 likes this.
  18. JBCool

JBCool Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I'm playing the EA Play demo version and have the refresh rate bug. Oddly enough, I can mostly make it go away by increasing resolution scale to 175% and setting the refresh rate ingame to 120hz. Still not totally smooth, though.

19. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Anyone else find this unbelievably disorientating?

It's a bit too flight simmy for me to be able to get my head around. Normally do fine in rogue squadron/Starfighter games.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Looks cool if you have 4 mates who also play it.

As a solo player i feel this will suck.