Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by XenthorX, Dec 12, 2019.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Is that the movies that are going to be overseen by those pair of GOT clowns, it's shocking really because the ROS had all the feeling of being a rushed and poorly thought out conclusion to something that has gone on for years and deserved better... it's almost like they had already taken control.

They shuttered the stand alones pretty damn quick when Solo bombed. Anyone think Disney can sell enough Baby Yodas to shutter the entire SW movie franchise?

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Disney love plastic so, no.

I think there is a part of me that states something like the following: of ALL of the IP they own, this was the one they never:

(a) expected to purchase, and so was a 'rushed' sale.
    (b) knew what to do with it once they got it.

I mean, really...the staff must've turned up to work in the morning with a 'yay!...wait...we actually got it????...oh noes!...what do we do???'. Not even Kathleen Kennedy could quite realise the extent of the undertaking. She must have been 'like, '...wait...so, I am now the President of Lucasfilm?...and I have to make back $4billion in the shortest amount of time as possible?...rly?...srsly?'

That was it, and, Disney at that time (2013) had just made upteen quillions from Frozen ($1.274 billion, gross) and the pressure they put on her to make the money back had to have been very very serious.

I do pity her, because, although she made the money back for Disney, the backlash with her decisions and online social commentary has been extreme to say the least.

Overall, the lasting impression Disney has of her is that she, simply speaking, is superfluous as - they will no doubt argue that anyone in that position of authority, at that time, would have made the money back because, in the simplest terms, this is Star Wars.

My analogy would be a teenager asking out the girl of their dreams, and, them saying 'yes' = PANIC!

3. Georgy Malkeov

Georgy Malkeov Member

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4
    I pity her, but we're not her, and I don't know if she's really stressed.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Well, I think one of the most damming things people can say about you is after you are dead. "How will I be remembered?" is a very serious thing for most normal people, and; the way she will be remembered will be something akin to some of the worst things you can say about anyone.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    What I find baffling is when Solo: A Star Wars Story came out, everyone panned it for being too close to the original Star Wars, but THAT WAS THE ONLY GOOD TRILOGY IN THE FIRST PLACE. Yet that and the Rogue One deal both were panned, while f*cking The Force Awakens AND The Last Jedi got a highly suspicious amount of praise. While I could nitpick it (Solo), I thought it turned out alright. I just wished they'd gone for lesser known actors in some of the roles (Woody Harrelson and what's her face from game of thrones stuck out like sore thumbs).

6. Tiny_Clanger

Tiny_Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    oh crap, i just worked out what that is :(

[​IMG]

:D

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I was always thought the best person to be the 'father figure' to Han Solo would have been this man:

[​IMG]

I have yet to find anyone to argue with me on this, and, it might be the only time in my life when I am completely and totally right...but this is guru3d forums, and anything can happen here :)

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I liked Solo and Rogue One a lot more than the main series. I was disappointed by the new trilogy from day one, as The Force Awakens was just a carbon copy of New Hope (it was obvious that they were leaning heavily on the nostalgia factor). The final movie wasn't as bad as I was expecting but I hate that they resurrected the Emperor (nostalgia again). I'm certainly not looking forward to Episode X - New New New Hope.

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    My Disney Star Wars movie preference order: Rogue One>Force Awaken>Rise of Skywalker || Solo > Last Jedi