Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Sep 9, 2021.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Spent... an insane amount of hours on this game. SWTOR and Star Wars Galaxies are the only two mmo i played.

Read too fast lol, it's a KOTOR remake ! Incredible, i'm in, hopefulyl powered by Unreal Engine..5? :]

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Undying, Horus-Anhur and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Yep, looks like.

Horus-Anhur, Undying and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Although there's some worrying signs in the air I'm willing to give this the benefit of doubt and see how it turns out. I think this chick is just one of a larger writing team and whatever she ends up bringing to the project be it good or bad, will need to be approved by someone higher up in the end.

My concern is that they'll dumb it down too much to a point that it can hardly be recognized as an RPG anymore, I personally quite enjoyed the combat in Kotor but I can see them taking some simplified hack & slash route which would be disappointing.

Backstabak likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes and no; a SciFi saga in a galaxy, far far away could be free of that. Opportunity missed there...

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    And you probably wanna read a bit more - aka dont get too excited.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Damn what a bummer. KOTOR already has a nice story, beloved by many fans. Why the hell would anyone want to rewrite that? Like what's the rational behind it? On top of it, they hire an overt sexist and racist who can't help themselves and insert contemporary politics into their work. If someone thought that rewriting the story is a good idea, let alone hiring this bigot to do so, I have serious doubts about the entire project.

Also, how can someone who honestly believes TLJ was great, be allowed to work on anything related to SW? Literally, with each new movie Disney made less and less money. They even lost money on Solo. Clearly it means that the more they showed, the less people were interested in it. I can't imagine anyone in Disney is happy about the new trilogy either, especially considering their movie related merchandise didn't sell well. I saw full shelves every time with ever increasing discounts.

Oh and this reminds me that Bioware had similar problem with an overt racist working in a high position on ME Andromeda. He also stayed there for years and Bioware did nothing, until Andromeda flopped and they started looking for who to blame, so he got fired. I guess this is just showing why Bioware hasn't been able to put out anything good in years.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would say shut frack up and take my money, but i read the "remake" part they gona change the story and i willing to bet they gona change the combat too and changing either or to this classic is no no, as much as i like FF7R i despised the combat changes and was in no way fan of changes to story

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, this got my interest at first, and then I got to know who is leading the project. I guess I'll stick to the originals, which I have on discs, Steam and GOG. XD

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I'll wait and see. If it crash and burn, let it be a lesson.

edit: To be fair i'm not against KOTOR being more opened to girl/woman narratives. 90s/early 2000s games were made by man, for man. Maybe this franchise can deal with a woman touch. Would be original at least.

Look at bioware who brought back the narrative team of Mass Effect for Anthem, and how it turned out :confused:.
    I'll judge on the result !

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Anthem was a poor attempt at making a recurrent monetization money funnel, it failed not because of the story or gender of characters within the video game, it failed because the gameplay loop was badly designed, and to be completely honest, Lazily Design.

Does anyone even care what gender a fictional character is? most of my favorite video game characters are female.. to say all 90's and 2000's video games were made for men by men would also be incorrect, I was just a boy lol... my sister was also not a boy, my friend Kelly was also not a boy xD

Video games didn't used to be so widely accepted as a thing a lot of people did for fun, I personally was bullied for playing video games at school because it was not what the "cool kids" did, as time has passed video games have became more popular, more accepted it as a form of entertainment.. and now it's a multi billion dollar industry enjoyed by anyone regardless of gender, not that gender was ever a deciding factor.

AsiJu likes this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    As has been mentioned. Anthem's failure had little to do with the story being trash (which it was, but it was in no way the focus of the game). The poor, repetitive grind and poor rewards made people lose interest. As for this remake, I don't think I care for the touch of an open misandrist, especially when the original story was inoffensive, simple, and fun oriented.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Quoted for truth... Not gonna buy/play this sadly despite loving the original.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Woman's touch is fine.

SJW propaganda bs touch is not.
    I wonder if that person (note: politically correct asexual noun) realizes she's just at the other end of the spectrum of the "problem" she aims to "solve".

Also "I write about videogames at Natonal Post"

That's great, how about learn to actually write first. Or take the time in your manhate to spell check your witty Tweets.

Okay I'll go before thread derail and / or aneurysm.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Dev Shakeup Seemingly Confirmed, Game not Delayed

Last month we heard rumors that the anticipated Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake wasn’t in a good place as the project had been “indefinitely delayed” and developer Aspyr had likely been removed.
    At the time, Aspyr parent company Embracer Group made no comment on the rumors.

Well, the Embracer Group has released their latest financial results (and a long list of new acquisitions) and, reading between the lines a bit, it seems there’s some good news and bad news regarding the Knights of the Old Republic remake.
    While Embracer doesn’t specifically name the project, they admit that a major AAA project has transitioned to a new developer under the Embracer umbrella. This is almost certainly the KOTOR remake.
    That said, Embracer isn’t expecting any “material delays” due to the dev switch, which is good news, as previous reports have indicated it may have been pushed back all the way to 2025.

"One of the Group's AAA projects has transitioned to another studio within the Group. This was done to ensure the quality bar is where we need it to be for the title. We are not expecting any material delays for the title based on this transition."

-> https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-dev-change-confirmed-not-delayed/

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seems like it was crap so they decided to change the studio. Maybe all the SJW that was discussed before didn't work out for them in the end. Politics changed quite a lot since last year too and now all that progressive BS is far more obvious and less acceptable in broader public.

Anyway, if it sucks, I can still just play the original and never bother with this.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  18. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti