Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I mean the customizations, like cosmetics, not abilities.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    It would not. So every game would need to have NG+ then - so yeah, i can understand why they didnt add a NG+ mode! Start a new game if you want NG+, sorta.

NG+ with unlocked abilities woldnt work anyway and only for cosmetics? Come on, seriously?

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah it's the memory controller for sure. Not just for your particular CPU, but all the Haswell-E CPUs had weak memory controllers. As I said before, it was Intel's first stab at a DDR4 memory controller, so it is nowhere near as robust as the DDR4 memory controllers found in Broadwell-E and the Skylake derivatives.

By all accounts, Zen 3 looks like it's going to be an excellent CPU. It will fix a lot of problems with Zen 2, namely the inter core latency by having a unified L3 cache. IPC should also see a healthy increase as well. Personally though, I'm waiting to see what Intel has to offer as I'm partial to Intel CPUs. Willow Cove and Golden Cove should have higher, or similar IPC to Zen 3 whilst having the benefit of an integrated memory controller and a more unified design with DDR5 support.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah I'd like to see actual benchmarks as well. Intel is using their SPMD compiler for the Chaos physics engine, and from what I have read, it seems like it generally gives a 3x or more speed up for SSEx instructions, and a 5 or 6x speed up for AVX capable CPUs, likely depending on how much instruction level parallelism there is in the code.

Regardless, it's an impressive achievement for something like that to be running on CPU and not GPU.

5. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I agree, it is impressive and not just the Chaos engine(which I haven't seen yet), but the SW PhysX is also very good as you can see in Remedy's Control for example.

Also, 6x speed up might look very impressive for AVX, but you need to realize that SSE is used by every game engine these days. At least as a fallback from AVX1. So comparing AVX to non-SIMD codepath makes no sense. AVX is up to 2x faster than SSE in specific cases, which fits their numbers(3x, 6x -> 1x, 2x).

But as I said earlier, these up to 2x speed ups are for small, best case scenarios. To put this into perspective, in our engine, when profiling highly optimized parts of code, which include intrinsic functions and some inline asm functions, we are getting 1.72x speedup in AVX vs SSE4.2 and 2.54x speedup in AVX2 vs SSE4.2. That, in our case, makes the code 48% faster with AVX2 over AVX. With that in mind, this code takes usually less than 1ms even in very heavy scenes. So let's say we get the absolute reduction in CPU frametimes of up to 0.5ms with AVX2. That is nice, but not deal breaking for us even if aiming for 60FPS(16.6ms).

AVX also brings some other issues like increased power consumption, heat and even down-clocking from turbo clocks etc...

Damn I'm too long again. Time to stop :)

Xtreme512 and Carfax like this.
  6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah, Contol has fantastic destruction and particle effects. Are the physics based particle effects for the smoke being also being done on the CPU? If so, that is particularly remarkable. Physical reactive volumetric smoke was one of GPU PhysX's signature effects, so if it's now running in software mode with such great performance, that means that GPU physics in general is not worth doing. You can see what I'm talking about in this video at the 5:58 mark:

It's cool that you're a developer :) Would you mind taking a look at this thread. I don't know how familiar you are with the UE4, but I had a big problem with Gears 5 that I recently fixed and I'm trying to understand why it occurred. It has to do with the game's reliance on the shader cache.[/QUOTE]

Undying likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Did you find the same as me ?

8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    denuvo hurting consumers since day zero.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The lack of QA is terrible.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And... that is bullshit.

Game starts fine. Loads fine... still stutters while playing, but is fine.
    Plus, I launched the game through Steam and then through Origin to check. Launches fine both ways.

EDIT: I mean, there might be something there causing the game to crash for some. But it's not because the PC says it's 2020 now.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Angantyr likes this.
  12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well denuvo phones home, that is something it does do, ALL THE TIME. eventually those servers holding your permission to run the game you bought. hence all denuvo games, wo patching will STOP working.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    So I've been told.

Yet, I live in an area that looses service all the time. And, I've never not been able to play a title with Denuvo. Even without internet service.

And, as I said above, the issue that site is trying to claim... that just because of the year change, Fallen Order doesn't work. Is false. My PC says 2020, and the game starts and plays fine.
    Some people may have an issue, but it's not a 100% cut and dry "Year changed, Denuvo bad" reason.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    me ive run into "one time" activated denuvo games fail to launch wo an internet connection. and once i had net suddenly they launched wo bitching about licenses.

most the game i care about they already nuked denuvo ALL devs should nuke it.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You fail to consider the issue happened and is now fixed.
    Generally how it works.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You guys did see... that it was cracked copies of Jedi: Fallen Order that weren't working after the year change, right?
    Legit, untampered copies have no issues.

Pirated or cracked copies ran into the issue.
    It's why I was playing Fallen Order last night when New Years rolled around and had no issue. And why I had no issue today, and the game had not updated on any platform.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Where did you see this?

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, read it in the comment section on the article linked above, then went searching. And found several people on Reddit talking about it.
    I don't have any pirated/cracked games... so I have no direct sources to go to.

But, did find this on Reddit,
    [​IMG]
    And several others talking about it. Seems everyone I've seen saying they've ran into it... either have a pirated copy, or are using CODEX's crack.

I just know I've had no issues playing it, a few friends on Steam had no issues playing it.

Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    change the clock fix your outdated crack.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol ok :)
    Mine has been fine too so you are probably correct.

cerebus23 likes this.