Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Well, you are certainly missing out in bf5 with that cpu / gpu / monitor combo - but bf5 is also very hard on the cpu compared to the gpu.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Lurk

Lurk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    playing at epic settings on a i5-8600k paired with a 1080GTX and I have to say the game runs smooth as butter except for the few areas designated for level change (i.e. when sliding down to the ice caves on Zeffo, with a couple of area changes accompanied by a weird and sudden loud boom).
    other than that I find performance pretty good (definitely improvable though, wish we could tweak engine settings like in the good old days through .ini file).

What helped greatly for me is vsync off ingame, on in nvcp, and MOST OF ALL limiting fps to refresh rate through RTSS.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Btw apparently this game doesn't like hyperthreading a whole lot - has any of the people who suffer from stuttering tried turning hyperthreading off ?

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yup i play without HT for ages now, still got stuttering with this game. Other games run fine. No crashes in GTA V or RDR2 at this point, can hardly believe it.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Rdr2 benefits from hyperthreading though :)

DocStrangelove likes this.
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    After todays big update for RDR2 it crashed on loading every time, even in safe mode.
    It turns out 441.20 video driver isnt compatible.
    After updating to 441.66 it still crashed.
    Starting the game in safe mode got it going, settings changed back, now its working.

Bummer if you need an older drive for anything else.

oops I thought this was the NVidia driver thread, my bad.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    It's very likely going to be used in Cyberpunk, because Cyberpunk will be DX12 and Microsoft's compilers target SSE/SSE2/AVX/AVX2. You'll still be able to play the game to be sure, but it will likely run quite a bit slower for you than if you had say a Haswell or newer CPU.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    What's your 5930K clocked to? I used to have that CPU. One of the things I hated about it was the memory controller, as it was Intel's first DDR4 memory controller and it had some bugs. Broadwell-E CPU has a much better memory controller than Haswell-E, with better performance and stability with higher frequency memory.

But yeah I see your point. You are definitely being CPU limited, but big games like Jedi Knight Fallen Order that use DX11 will be a rarity in the coming years I reckon.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Well... as long as i will be able to pull a steady 60 fps, then i will be happy. Do you know of any current game that actually uses avx2 ? I know several games use avx, but i haven't been able to find any that use avx2, nor any benchmark that would suggest that 3770k or 2600k was hammered to a much higher degree than newer gen 4 core / 8 thread cpu's in any current games... only the gradual differences in performance you'd expect between generations.

10. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Neither DX12 API or any compiler require AVX2. Compilers use instruction sets that you set. Performance increase of AVX2 depends on specific use case.

(sic)Klown12 likes this.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Off the top of my head, no. Currently AVX is used much more frequently like you said. But, as I said before, Microsoft's compilers can generate those instructions and with the next gen consoles having full support for AVX2, the usage is only going to increase. This will be for cross gen games next year as well, like Cyberpunk etc.

From doing a bit of reading, I haven't been able to find any either. It would seem that floating point seems to be preferred in game development over integers. Perhaps with the PS5 and XSX having full speed AVX2 that may change though.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Has the stuttering been addressed yet?

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Gotta love the switch and bait. I never said the DX12 API or any compilers "requires" AVX2. I simply said that Microsoft's compilers can target or generate those instructions. Just like how AVX is now more frequently used these days, AVX2 will eventually increase in prevalence because the compilers will target their usage in games.

Although as I said above, it seems developers prefer to use floating point for most cases.

14. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    You said that: "It's very likely going to be used in Cyberpunk, because Cyberpunk will be DX12". That sentence implies that DX12 games are more likely to use AVX2, which is simply not true. There is absolutely no correlation between DX12 and AVX2. AVX2 is supported by compilers for almost 6 years, that was even before DX12.

Also sorry, but: "it seems developers prefer to use floating point for most cases", this sentence makes no sense in correlation to AVX. AVX/AVX2 add a few vector instructions. Faster copying, logical ops and some math ops for vector registers.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Dude, you're reading into this too much. The reason why I said that is because DX12 games are more likely to use a later version of Visual C++ redistributable that supports AVX2, because it's the newest API. Have you ever seen a DX12 game that used Visual C++ redistributable from 2008?

And secondly, because Cyberpunk will be a cross gen title. It will also be released on XSX and PS5, which means it could very well target AVX2 on those platforms.

AVX 256 bit wide vectors was restricted to floating point only as I recall. With AVX2, Intel expanded most integer instructions to 256 bit:

Source

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Nope, it's still there. It will probably take them a while to address it fully, if they plan on doing so.

17. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Oh boy. That is just one change in AVX2 to make data types unified. AVX instructions are meant for vector operations. The best use case is matrix multiplication using FMA (Floating Point Multiply Add) and floating point data types. The most important change in AVX2 is doubling the bandwidth over AVX2 registers, which would theoretically increase FMA by up to 2x over AVX1.

To make it simple: AVX2 instruction set does improve floating point ops over AVX1 up to 2x in specific cases.

So in games, this can speed up transforms, which is usually a very little part of a frame time.

Carfax likes this.
  18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Okay.
    Been holding off on playing more of the game because of the stuttering, but... also haven't really been following it that closely. So wasn't sure if any news had come about fixes/updates.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    My grain of salt on AVX2, it added support for 256bit registers with a bunch of new helpful instructions (shuffle, add, substract,...) , which made 4*64bits possible, aka Vec4 double precision.

Big deal for games involving double precision rendering, space sim and such.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  20. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ I believe that using 4x64bit doubles in one 256bit register was also possible in AVX1 albeit slower.