Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/LevelStreaming/index.html

Within this link, somewhere is the answer on how they could have prevented those stutter given extra time to work on this.

Obviously this wasn't so bad they had to make it a priority, and tbh i didn't notice any stutter aside from some very specific places (beginning of the game, end of the first sliding ): where they obviously unload/loda large part of the level in memory.

edit: game is on SSD*

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Do you have the game on an ssd or hdd ?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Doesn't matter, my game's on a SSD as well (I don't use HDDs since 2014), still it stutters. And it's also not dependant on level load progress... walking through a door usually doesn't cause level load that big.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    What fps are you running the game at ?

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've got it on an HDD, and averaging around 70fps...

But, as said above, the issue happens regardless of hard drive type.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Usually 80-85 and upwards, except in stuttering moments. Although I might be CPU crippled as well tbh

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That was my thought - i reckon you'd see a near elimination of the stuttering if you capped fps at 60 (assuming that you are using g-sync).
    The 5930k (your cpu) and 4930k (my cpu) is very similar in performance, and i see alot of stuttering, if i let the game run uncapped.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah exactly my thought, will try this, capping fps is a good advice. Although I have to admit I've seen dips below e.g. 50 as well, but yeah CPU is a big issue, driving my upgrade early next year too. Sadly not in time for Ryzen 4K...

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Depends on res and hz ofc - im at 4k60, so cpu isn't really a limiting factor for me :)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, running 1440p ("2K") here, shows more CPU limits indeed, and I start to see it these days...

Dragam1337 likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i was considering doing a 4k144 upgrade, meaning an entirely new system, as my cpu is only good for 60 fps in alot of games these days... but i decided against it for the time being, and just get a 3080 ti instead when it launches - should run rdr2 and cyberpunk nicely at 4k60.
    But i decided against a completely new build, as all current 4k 144 hz monitors are bandwidth limited on the displayport, and need to use compression to run at 4k144... and using compression kinda defeats the purpose of using 4k in the first place.
    So holding off on the high hz experience till i can get uncompressed 4k at 144 (or preferably higher :p)

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If I may ask, what CPU would you get? Intel? Since I don't plan to do the jump onto 4K soon, but down the road it will happen... or how, if going straight to high fps 4K with Freesync / Gsync or "only" 4K60... I really like my high fps looks and feels in games tbh.
    I wanted to wait for Ryzen 4000 if it would come out in 1H/2020, but "late in 2020" doesn't sound very tempting, waiting another year... just a bad situation somewhat. And I'm not happy not feeling like it's a good time to upgrade, very subjectively.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i would most likely get the upcoming intel 10900k, if doing an entirely new build - latency is after all the most important thing for gaming, especially high hz gaming, and the intel cpu's still have quite a bit less latency than the amd cpu's.

I agree that now is not a very good time to upgrade... last time you did an upgrade with the 5930k was a good time, with the new ddr4 (which was the primary source of the 5930k's performance uplift vs the 4930k) - as was it for me, as the 4930k was the first cpu with 40 pcie 3.0 lanes, which i needed for sli.
    Right now the amd cpu's does have pcie 4.0, but is still lacking a little behind intel in gaming. Intel still only has 16 pcie 3.0 lane on their top gaming cpu. Neither has ddr5 yet.

But if i were to do an upgrade right now for high hz, i'd get the 9900ks. It's the top performer in gaming.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes I figured you'd go Intel. Not really fond of that tbh... subjective decision though. And AMD and it's (for me) useless PCIe 4... like I said, I don't feel I'm offered compelling stuff that I want to buy. Maybe I'll hold out a bit longer.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i totally get you. Have you oc'ed that 5930k to the max? Because stock clocks is really what makes the 4930k and 5930k fairly weak by todays standards... i get a nearly 30% ingame performance increase with the cpu OC i'm running :)

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah doing well so far, 4.5GHz it's running stable. Only the weak IMC always made me upset with my particular CPU...

But so far the games run well, I had a Gsync screen for years now, so that's helping alot, too. But the stutter's so real that Gsync doesn't help at all in the particular case of Fallen Order.

17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, gsync sadly only really helps with increases in gpu frametimes, not cpu frametimes. But please do report back if limiting the fps solves the stuttering :)

18. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Big update coming this week, possibly today with added photo mode and some quality of like tweaks.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Even on a NVME the game is a stuttering mess.Also tried on HDD Raid 0 ,M.2 SSD and old SSD drive.
    AMD 3800X with RTX 2080 on 4K Freesync Monitor

OK game where I did like the platform part and puzzles ,not be able to get to areas or do things in the game and having to go back after getting pull/push for nothing was pointless.
    Even with all the upgrades to the character ,still could not do a couple things after 20 tries lol,maybe because I suck,especially on a controller.
    The combat got boring and tedious after awhile with mini bosses,I went to story mode after the ninth sister boss or whatever that thing was called and tried to enjoy the game after that.

20. The new photo mode works fine, but I'd appreciate more settings like contrast, gamma, saturation, bloom intensity etc..

Screenshots are stored in folder: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SwGame\Saved\Screenshots\WindowsNoEditor\

Also, if anyone wonders, the stuttering is the same, as expected.

Edit: I couldn't resist... a few screenshots from my favorite areas...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
    fantaskarsef, XenthorX and cerebus23 like this.