Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well lest there is possibily we can mod/hack the dismenber to the human models. or the cheat code workaround. etc. its coded in the game location damage that is part of the battle.

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    That was really interesting.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    EA learn new tricks to make money then lie cheat and boil children in gambling skinner boxes?

single player is dead people do not like single player games, yea if it sell bananas but how much do micro transaction mp games earn? ask vale and epic. how much would fallen have to sell to really break that?

ubisoft gets you need a balance to keep both sides happy and keep gamers on board their brand. if EA single player outside bioware titles your were skrewd there is nothing. so why bother at all?

EA will spin this though and they shown to dig in when flat out called out. if they smart they going to start bankrolling sp games including titanfall 3 and stop this greed at all costs bs that focusing on the shareholder returns and nothing else for too long, which is leading to problems in other areas the same issue.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well that's your opinion... I still do enjoy single player games on a regular basis. I guess that comes from a time when there simply was no multiplayer because, well... the internet wasn't yet invented. Just my humble opinion, I prefer a good SP game to the lacklaster soup of MP titles we get each year.

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Lol, i wish there were more SP games, sick that every game needs to have MP these days. And a lot of my friends see it the same, so yeah,...

I also have a really hard time to understand you properly @cerebus23

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    @cerebus23

I could care less if "SP is dead". I'd rather play a good singleplayer game without any sort of MP component (coop included), than any of today's throwaway MP titles like Fortnite or CoD. I don't care how EA is going to "spin" this. If they stifle Respawn and prevent it from making another SP game, I will simply go back to not buying EA's crap again, just like I've done for the past several years (over half a decade). This is literally the first EA game that I consider buying ever since Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2 (both 3s I didn't buy).

Archvile82 and ShadowDuke like this.
  8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    SP is dead from the point of view of publisher. They look at PUBG, Fortnite and such and want a part of that pie. Selling something cheap like skins can bring a lot of money and they obviously want that. SP games are just much more difficult. Not only do they need to exert enough effort for people to like it, but apart from some bigger story DLCs that also require a lot of work, they can't really sell skins or just small things for a lot of money.

Naturally most gamers would see it differently.

cerebus23 and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    lol, single player games will never die. In fact I'd say they're getting a lot more attention and production value now since many Hollywood actors are wanting in on the action.

KissSh0t likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    This. And that's exactly the reason why gaming is getting worse and worse by the day. Old folks don't fancy another Fortnite, and the young ones... well, they simply have no alternatives offered. For me it's one of the signs that the theory of the free, self regulating market is bs. The offer decides what we play, not demand. And it's just like that in many other fields as well, not just the gaming industry.

Hence, vote with the wallet... don't feed microtransaction systems and buy singleplayer games if you like them. It can be that easy...

Backstabak and ShadowDuke like this.

11. Funny you said that... the last EA title I added to my Origin was Anthem - it used to be part of an RTX Bundle promo.... I think prior to that the last time I went out and actually paid hard cash for an EA game (not that I actively really look at the label and go "ohhh is it EA ooooohhh" just happened to be this way - was ... Command and Conquer. Mmmm the Bundle for CnC + the MOH bundle (the traditional pack).

EDIT: Crap! I forgot Crysis 3 - I actually did get a copy of that for free years ago too.

I've been considering trying out SW Battlefront 2 + Battlefield V / and Battlefield 1

I agree - performance capture in video games it's a growing sub-industry

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. During the course of 2018 Sony's Spider-Man a PS4 exclusive & single player game, sold 8,757,859 copies in 17 weeks ranking it 2018's 5th top-selling game at retail ranked by unit sales. God of War, another PS4 Sony exclusive came in at the year's 7th top-selling game with 6,153,527 units sold, interestingly enough right underneath God of War - was Red Dead Redemption 2. *ranked at #8* Call of Duty Black Ops llll - sold 4,850,704 during 12 weeks placing it at #10. Single player is alive and well.

Like all forms of the Performing/Liberal/Visual Arts, people buy the content & quality of it - unless everybody ceases to pitch great single player story-lines and game ideas; it's like most other mediums similar to film. If the publishers can't see it at any given point, the problem eventually solves itself. Indie studios etc. Developers that went on to publish their own content.

Look at it this way - Publishers want money period they want the most money from the biggest producer - online content mmorpgs; multiplayer based fps action, online arenas etc fortnite clones. Let's say you have a room full of "special" geese and some hatch quickest - your focus will be shifted towards them more often - that doesn't mean you stop focusing on those that are slower/different etc (fill in the blanks it's a hypothetical to prove a point) 'period'.

The point is they all lay golden eggs. Either way it's a win-win situation. You're still going to be running around squeezing the most of every single situation you can to "milk the most money you can."
    Which includes SP games

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
  13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe I just now watched the video, interesting that this guy says the same as I did.

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    You say so, but the problem with SP games is that they sell based on their quality. As in you need to have a sizable investment to produce them and while they can bring a lot of cash, their return is quite uncertain. On the other hand a lot of "games as a service" or just MP games with sold visuals can be quite cheap to produce and maintain and the additional monetization makes them a literal gold mine. EA especially with their CEO Andrew Wilson, made a lot of creative ways how to get more money from a game besides the initial sale. The issue isn't even that SP games aren't profitable, they just aren't as profitable as other types of games. Since publisher's focus is to please the shareholders, they will simply go for extreme monetization.

As @fantaskarsef have said, just vote with your valet.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Nothing you wrote is wrong, I concurr. With Epic's exclusive deals though, these days you don't need to make a good SP game to have your money return... it's sad to say but that's exactly why many companies like those EGS deals: it frees their need to be good or successful from their income. Which I do see as a main problem behind those deals actually, another facette of why gaming gets more and more of a money making thing rather than presenting gamers with decent ways to sink their time (not money).

Singleplayer games get shorter in terms of playtime and yet charge full price... I still can't believe people are okay with 10h singleplayer titles costing 60€/$. So they add a meaningless multiplayer part with skins to it to justify on one hand the initial starting price ("You can play this game longer than just SP campaign!") and on the other hand additional microtransactions if the game runs. And I do have a few particular games in mind that would fit this description, not just a single one.

And here EA could do it "old school", like described in that video posted above by @jbscotchman :
    Give people a good, working game from the start, charge full price. If the game is good and gives enough things to do for at least some time that's not over within a single day's playing, you can still be successful. Especially with a big franchise and setting behind it...

That said, I hope that this game indeed is good and makes an impact, both in ratings and commercially. Maybe we shall see more good, polished games in the future without any hooks and strings attached. And the move away from full price titles that charge you twice as much afterwards again. And if they postpone a game to give it more polish, that's also usually a good sign, unless of course the game still is presented in a broken matter at release.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I very much agree about EGS, but I don't see it as a really long term problem. Those deals are funded from Fortnite money and sooner or later they will run out. Epic thinks they'll make long term partners this way, while companies probably see mostly guarantee to the return on their investment so they naturally go for it.

On PC especially, all games face kinda stiff competition. We have game catalogue that is enormous and goes decades into past. Many people still play years old games and aren't spending on new releases, while majority of actual sales is often split between a few big titles. Publishers noticed that monetizing MP games provides higher return on their investment and it's probably a lower risk (investment) than SP. The price of games hasn't changed that much over years, but we have much higher quality assets today, that cost far more money to produce. That's why SP games are now 10 hours long and are quite shallow. As developing new ideas and gameplay would stretch the development time and make it even more costly. That's also why many games are rather generic and have aspects from many genres, as to attract people from various crowds. I mean having an amazing FPS is going to attract FPS crowd, but you will not have many sales to e.g. RPG crowd or RTS crowd. However, I still think that SP games are quite profitable even if they aren't the top seller that year. I am very much interested in SP games and if publisher wants to push more MP DLC ridden content, they are free to do so, I just won't buy it at all.

17. You've got to spend money to make money

EDIT:
    I'd be surprised if any "share-holder" didn't understand that

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    if you got enough people with income and dont ask questions you dont have to spend much, also you can cut costs by using that. see blizzards actions they can crap out mobile games or crap on the western market because there is a large middle class in china consuming and china inflates those numbers to make them even more juicy. so profits have been going up because of that. also cheap labor, no regulations lots of bribes and corruption however.

this is on the heels of the mmo boom for blizzard that got shareholders hooked on those profits and that train lasted so long they were desperate when that began to unwind, and threw things at the wall, then china like manna from heaven and diablo mobile was born $$$$$$$.

now 2k is there via fleecing their sports titles and making mad bank nm the success of gta5 shark cards $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

the only threats there is regulation or customer revolts. until then do they really have to spend money? i doubt rdr need any ad budget that the net and fans would handle that.

and there are structural problems at companies like bioware. they got lazy and complacent, their problems were not lack of budget or lack of talent at the company lack of direction seems the major thing lack of oversight.

good times breed soft men and hard times breed hard men? ;p gaming had very good times in the 90s and 00s despite any bumps. they got too accustomed to that. and now they have easy outs with open large markets that are largely untapped. and they trying to coast.

its a double or triple whammy thing to me.

19. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    ^

I think that the "good times" were because games were done by enthusiasts, nerds who liked to play those games and so they made good games that they themselves liked. In turn, those games became highly profitable and the gaming market became big enough to interest big investors. This is when the model changed, when games became more streamlined to appeal to larger audience and when first DLCs emerged (infamous TES4 horse armor DLC).

As far as China goes, I'm under the impression that for Blizzard they make about 14% of their revenue. Sure China has a lot of potential due to massive population, but that population is quite poor, so USA is still the world's number 1 market for everything with Europe being second. Blizzard just banked on no one noticing or not making big deal out of it and in the end they probably think that gamers will just forget and move on. It's a strong move from company that doesn't really offer anything new. OW, HS and HOTS are basically dead, so is retail WoW, their strongest division is from mobile gaming and the annual CoD, so I guess we'll see how they'll fare in the upcoming years.

Anyway so as this wouldn't be a total OT, I'll just add that this SW looks really as a breath of fresh air coming from EA, so I hope it will be good. There are a few titles that I will definitely buy till the end of this year and I think this one will be one of them. I can't remember this happening with games from EA for a few years now, it's usually just a deep sale buy, if any at all.

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ^ yea but china also fluffs their markets to look better. they lie. fraud it would be in a western nation.

and they bribe. so are people really going to question when they promise roads paved with riches? especially with the CEOs with a board that expects profits to infinity. like someone pointed out that is steeped in this stuff people take the money and by the time the wheels really fall off they are gone does not matter if those lies panned out or not.

and chinas middle class is growing and getting more powerful within china that is a problem for china itself. and the youth by all accounts gives zero fs about them either. china is not going well :p.