Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    This game is basically under the radar right now, but if all goes to plan, it could be THE sleeper hit of the year and a return to engrossing single player Star Wars themed titles, a la Jedi Knight Outcast and Knights of the Old Republic.

The first game footage is scheduled to be shown THIS upcoming Saturday 4/13/2019 at 6:30 GMT. This is the only information we have about the game so far:

1) It is completely single player with no multiplayer or microtransactions
    2) Will be using Unreal Engine 4
    3) Developed by Respawn, the developer behind the Titanfall series and Apex Legends
    4) Published by EA, so it will likely be exclusive to Origin or on other selected digital platforms friendly to EA....which means not Steam.
    5) Will be set in the post Revenge of the Sith timeline and will apparently be dark in plot and theme.
    6) Likely be released during the holiday season.

Personally, I'm very excited for this game. As a single player only type of guy, I have hated the fact that practically all the modern Star Wars themed games have been primarily multiplayer. Give me a game like Jedi Knight Outcast and KOTOR over the Battlefront series any day!

Also, the fact that this game is being developed by Respawn bodes well, as they are a very capable developer. I also find it interesting that the game isn't being developed on Frostbite 3 despite being published by EA, but I suppose Respawn doesn't feel comfortable developing on that engine. It's likely for the best as UE4 is a much more flexible engine than FB3.

[​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I wonder why they are using Unreal?

3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Who wants to bet the protagonist is going to be another Mary-Sue female lead with no character development, no flaws and is completely unrelateable? I'm calling it now.

TR2N, Shataan and cerebus23 like this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    then they can point to the fail of the SP game and say see gamers DO NOT LIKE SINGLE PLAYER GAMES :p.

But eh we see ideally they give you a choice of characters and a few name and pronoun swaps depending who you play.

And how many game characters have proper character development? I guess every character starts somewhat mary sue ish, ubisoft far cry games scream marty stu. there zero setup for most of them why your so gifted with every weapon under the sun, can rope climb, hang glide, ride atvs, motorcycles and sircraft, and everyone likes you and wants you on their side.

LOL just saying there tons of mary and marty sue/stu chracters in the gaming realm but they do not take nearly as much heat as the story based passive media ones that annoy people so.

INSTG8R likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Respawn isn't owned by EA as far as I know, and EA only mandates FB3 for first party titles. That said, UE4 is the best game development engine by a considerable margin IMO, so this is a good thing from my perspective.

Bioware has often complained that working with FB3 is difficult, as that engine was never designed to be used for RPGs.

signex and cerebus23 like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Respawn Entertainment is owned by EA as of 2017, which is why I was like.... why are they using Unreal?

Although.. I guess after Apex Legends which is Source Engine, they wanted to use a newer engine that would let them iterate quickly without a lot of the issues plaguing other EA owned developers that use Frostbite.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, they used Source for Titanfall 1 and 2 and Apex Legends.

Most likely it's a similar setup to how Bethesda does things. Any studio owned by ZeniMax can use idTech for free, zero licensing fees. And direct access to id for technical support.
    But, they are still free to license another engine if they wish.

Could be similar here, any studio under EA has direct access to Frostbite, but the studio can decide on their own if they wish to go a different direction.
    Which, I'm glad they did. I'm not... a big fan of Frostbite. Yes, it can look amazing... but... it's also proven itself to be a problematic engine when studios try to do stuff with it outside of it's original FPS design.

signex likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah, DICE has been practically the only developer that can wield Frostbite 3 effectively, and that's because they developed it. Anyway, I am excited to see what Respawn does with UE4.:cool:

I hope they don't go for the cartoonish look! :eek:

9. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    I read a story, can't remember the site, they said something about EA just being a publisher and they weren't fully under the EA umbrella at the time and didn't have to use frostbite or something like that.

10. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    Being EA, I won't get too excited about it until it releases.

cerebus23 likes this.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hope it's a good SP game, tho i don't care at all about star wars.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    "Will not have Multiplayer or Microtransactions"

I'm like... you had my curiosity, but now you have my full attention.

fantaskarsef, AsiJu and Undying like this.
  13. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Ubisoft Singleplayer Story Game as a Service = AWESOME
    EA Singleplayer Story Game as a Service = lacks content, grindy unless you pay for lootboxes, full of bugs which don't get fixed even 6 months later

But then....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ... so if this is really a great SP game and not as a service - why did they stop the project already underway and made Uncharted's Amy Hennig leave EA altogether???

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.
  14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Disney raging at them over them wasting the IP and pissing customers off. Because while the movies tanked than follow up films, gamers were ready and willing to give BF the nod but for the loot box fiasco.

That is my gut as to why respawns star wars game got resurrected. And if bioware limps on maybe their kotr2 will see daylight again.

I think this was the house of mouses last go for EA and dice and the lot if they could not make star wars games people wanted to buy, because it not been sunshine and lolly pops for star wars a trillion dollar IP that every aspect associated with it tried to kill it with fire. (lest thats the way it seems for star wars of late).

Do we really think after battlefront and governments getting involved that disney was all keen to let EA keep the license, when EVERYONE in the gaming press just about called for EA to lose the license.

Well that did not happen and you got a reswawn star wars game out of it, finger crossed it is a great star wars game, they seemed excited to talk about it until EA told them to STFU and they were not doing any star wars game silly gits.

15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Theres rumors that this is actually like Dark Souls or Sekiro, well we'll see soon. :D

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I really want this cause chance it like Jedi Knight game or even Force unleashed, But EA every game I have bought that from EA despites me tell my self dont do it has been utter let down to me

17. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Hopefully some ray tracing too

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Star Wars Soulslike? *starts drooling*

Now that would be something!

ShadowDuke likes this.
  19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Sounds like and reveal trailer just like Force Unleashed? Hmm.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor