Star Wars: Battlefront Ultra HD Screenshots

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Check out these  4K screenshots from Star Wars: Battlefront Tatooine Survival Mission. These images were captured at Ultra settings, showing what the game actually looks like in its current full glo...

Star Wars: Battlefront Ultra HD Screenshots

2. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    there is a tiny bit of jpeg comression, but its still pretty good in representing the overall quality.

I want to see open world destruction. thats still a decade away

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Never knew that rocks reflected so much light :D It looks great though!

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    I know what you mean. I want to see world destruction as well, along with proper global illumination. What we're getting instead is 4k.
    It's not bad it's just.. Not what I expected. I'm probably biased because I haven't seen a 4k monitor in action yet.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I guess programming working environmental destruction would require a complete overhaul of game engines... scaling the engine to 4K requires less work (and money) on the dev's side, so that's why we get eye candy instead of true gameplay depth. Still there has been games like Red Faction back in the day....

Those screens actually look nice, but don't really make me want to buy a 4K monitor (and matching PC hardware) either.

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, Frostbite does have some destructive terrain capability (buildings, cover, and ground), except the problem with it is that it ultimately changes how the map is played. Sometimes, some things (buildings, mountains, etc) shouldn't be able to be destroyed for the sake of balance. This was shown a long time ago in BF3's Alpha (or Beta?) with ground deformation, but later disabled. It returned in BF4 in a very limited form. While mountains being able to be reshaped might seem fun, yeah, I agree that the engines will still need a massive amount of work (in addition to figuring out how to balance it).

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Haha EA are going mad because of the NDA being ignored.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Probably also because of balance purposes, you really can't have this in multiplayer games. It could break some singleplayer ones as well.
    Red faction was amazingly fun in that regard. I'd just throw some cheats in and spend hours digging through the terrain with explosives :D.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Very much true for multiplayer. But to be honest, I'd love to see it happen in co-op games, or sp campaigns, but we haven't gotten truely deformable terrain. Those little holes in the ground you can tear with BF4 aren't really that much of terrain destruction, since you can't for instance voluntarily tear down any of the electical lines and the electrical pole on Golmud Railway with BF4 either...

10. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    No one else has a problem with damage per second still being a thing going into 2016? When are games going to stop being point and click arithmetic grinders and bullets start doing real locational damage to real bodies and not stupid hitboxes. I'm so sick of this ****. :bang:

Gonna make le thread

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You are probably looking for military simulators that do have location based damage. The key point you need to think of is the tradeoff between realism and entertainment. Once you get "realistic" some of the fun is lost.

I would love it too, but it seems to be pretty much a decade or so away (think about how much technology has improved since original UE2-era engines to today's). We've gotten better physics simulators, animations, and pretty amazing static scenery. Give it some more time and that'll finally morph into something dynamic. :)

In the meantime, the only true dynamic-terrain game I can think of that has multiplayer is something like Minecraft. :p

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, you're probably right. I'm only afraid that consoles have become the lead platform, we won't see anything like that in more than a decade, since it's not on the dev's focus to put into games, let alone those that have to run on platforms such as consoles. They've become better performing, but still, a top notch gaming pc can do more (for a higher price of course).

13. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    The only games with meaningful environment destruction today are voxel based (Minecraft, Roblox, Space Engineers, etc).

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Where did these come from?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The closed alpha. The campaign/AI mission is on Tatooine, multi on Hoth. Played it over the weekend -- was pretty fun.

16. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    I meant the pics, They are mine, I put them on PC Master Race.com.ar and a Gaming group i run on FB 4 or 5 days ago. Just wondered where they got taken from.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ah, no idea then

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Is someone here even playing in closed beta?

19. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Its no big deal, They just got around the net so fast :)

20. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    A mid-range PC with an i3 and GTX 960 can outperform any console. I added a GTX 960 to my HTPC and was impressed at how it can blow my ps4 away from a graphics standpoint.

But you're right. Even this type of low-end mid-range setup costs a little less than twice that of a console.