1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Icanium

Icanium Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    If my understanding of ep9 is correct,
    Ash Tyler's PTSD was not caused by Klingon torture but by being sexually abused by L'Rell
    I can't wait to see how they get out of the Spore drive mishap without a Medusan onboard. Ref. TOS episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty"

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^She will never let him go, she will quite literally KLINGON. :p

Icanium and lucidus like this.
  3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    To my surprise i like the show very much. I think it is well written with good characters and ok story. They removed much of the silliness of the old trek and replaced it with more a realistic approach, and i like that. (i get my silly from Orville).
    The one thing i still can not get over is the Klingons design. But in my mind they are their distant cousins, the Klongons.

4. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Really? I get your point about over Utopian but a Captain would/should never command that way. I also think the writing is bad but it getting better.
    I agree that it should be more adversarial than STOS but I think it goes too far in that regard. DS9 is a good middle ground IMO as far as ethics etc.
    And the SyFy.... seriously on OP ship compared to others with some bio crap... not good for the ST genre IMO.

But, still watching. : )

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i still havent bothered to even watch the first episodes, i saw bits n pieces, i then saw what looked like new species?? and i didnt realized it was kligons till i saw there tech..

I said hell no and have not bothers since, maybe when it over and done with i will watch it.

I never really liked enterprise, mostly cause i never really like scott bakula as archer mostly cause i just can't see him in anything serious after quantum leap. I actual thought i stoped watching it after 2nd season, just to realize i watch the whole thing, but blocked it out but actual watched it, this new star trek i is first one i dont want to watch.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Lex Luthor likes this.
  6. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I really enjoy Enterprise. Most episodes were very good IMO.
    But I get your point about Scott... thankfully I watched Enterprise before any Quantum leap ; )
    And what's not to LOVE about T'Pol?!?!?!?!?!

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    ...I still reckon Samuel L Jackson would've been excellent as the lead on that show...

Lex Luthor likes this.
  8. insp1re

insp1re Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
    very dissapointed with this show, just couldnt enjoy it. Iv been big on star trek for years, but really wanting a follow up to TNG, dont think anything compares. Enterprise was garbage too. They need to advance it not always go to prequals.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    There was a rumour that a separate new series was in the works which would be a successor to TNG, Voyager etc, but even if true it may or may not go ahead down the track. I guess it depends on how well other space based stuff goes. There's a new Star Wars universe live action tv show (not animated) coming out very end of next year, called Star Wars: Underworld
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458291/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt.
    I'm sure that will probably help a little in terms of Star Trek due to the Star Trek vs Star Wars 'thing'. That's assuming it makes it past pilot.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    So,

The USS Defiant makes it into 3 completely different incarnations and 3 parallel universes:

Original ST: "The Tholian Web". http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tholian_Web_(episode)

ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly". http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/In_a_Mirror,_Darkly_(episode)

STD: "Despite Yourself". http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Despite_Yourself_(episode)

From memory, I think they messed up as the Emperor is actually an Empress, Empress Sato, to be precise:

Anyone want to place some bets on whether they manage to completely screw up the original constitution class when they show the Defiant?

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Could be an empress consort

12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Why are some of the episodes rated TV-MA?

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Mirror universe, who did not see that coming. lol

But if i get to see TOS Defiant in the show Discovery will gain a few points for me.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Icanium

Icanium Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    My guess would be Ash Tylers flashbacks of what he had to do to survive being tortured by L'Rell. Seeing Tyler and L'Rell in bed is something that cannot be unseen. Plus, I would expect it when STD drops one of their allotted F-Booms.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    And if they mess it up and redesign it to look like something which does not resemble anything close to the Constitution class we all know, then; they lose.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Or, they bring the Defiant back to the normal universe and it becomes the template for all TOS ship design. :)

But no, that would be far too interesting, let's get back to what will happen, if they do find it they will destroy it possibly at the same time as they kill off another bland charactor, and then head back to their own universe to bath in all the lens flare. lol

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    surrounded by a fleet of ships, what do you think, federation or klingon?

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Klingon, because it's the opposite and that means it must be good Trek. lol

I think we have just made a interesting Discovery on how they are writting this show, everything you know about Trek, but reversed. lol

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    i didn;t like this show, it doesn t feel like star trek, the only show of star trek that i liked is the one from the 90s, star trek deep space 9, amazing show

lucidus likes this.
  20. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I haven't watched in a while... need to bring myself up to catch up...sigh...