Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Might have been the best season, a good fresh original take on Starfleet and the universe, less focus on Michael Burnham which is great.
    I love the cast and the characters they're creating.

Icanium likes this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    In my opinion, the episode that demonstrates your point best is "The Immunity Syndrome S2E18". It has the best mix of showing emotionally charged scenes, full of hidden feelings being expressed in subtle yet, powerful ways.

As a side note, it has one of the best Spock reaction moments (00:30), that AFAICT, has never been used as a meme by anyone, much to my own shock :)

jbscotchman, Icanium and eGGroLLiO like this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    TNG and DS9 did that the best imo. The last 60 seconds of each episode always landed with a very emotional high note.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, you can't say that without listing an episode or two!

DSP didn't have the right qualities to be subtle, but hey, let's get some episodes listed and we can rate accordantly.

jbscotchman likes this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Good choices, but I always thought the relationship with Nella was weak and kinda forced by the writers. I always felt that the fling Picard had with that archaeologist was more believable/understandable...even though that episode was ruined by the episode "Q-Pid", especially the ending.

Captive pursuit, I vaguely remember something about that episode, suppose I should re-watch it, but, I am going back 25+ years on my memory for that one.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well I'm not a hardcore Trek fan. I've watched random episodes over the last 25 years from all the series, but I'm not an expert. What do you recommend?

8. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Does anyone like TOS? I really like the polite and moral approach in the show. Although I did enjoy all other later shows, but there is something very positive about TOS, its lack of superficial elements is really pleasing.

eGGroLLiO and Loobyluggs like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    From DS9? I really did not watch it more than once, and stopped after/during I think the 3rd season, I was very sociable and gregarious at that time in my life, and, TNG kinda ended, too - which I felt was the end of Trek for me...until Voyager rekindled my love with Janeway.

The TNG Episode that I think is well worth seeing is "Up the Long Ladder" S2E18, another thoroughly dense episode, with great structure. There are many things I like, but the premise is certainly the best and it isa call-back to the original series in the following way:

Everybody gets what they want, just, not in the way they want it.

Melinda M. Snodgrass (Another female writer! Yay!) who also wrote "The Measure of a Man" "Pen Pals" "The Ensigns of Command" "The High Ground" is another great writer of sci-fi and just 'weird $hit' (Her episode of The Outer Limits "The Sandkings", was a story by George R. R. Martin, yeah, that guy) and in general her episodes of TNG are structurally 'classical' in TNG and Star Trek. By that I mean the crew face a problem, and have to work together amicably to solve it, sometimes if not always, with a concession being made somewhere.

So, in this particular episode, everybody gets what they want, just not in the way they wanted it.

I personally like it for being super weird and creepy, in that it starts off as a rescue mission, shifts gear to a detective story, then it changes into comedy, then tragedy, then flat-out-balls-to-the-walls body-horror, then moral turpitude of an entire planet contra to the resident government and the idealogical axioms of government damaging society.

It also has quite possibly one of the most attractive females to ever walk the earth, with amazing red hair and a foot fetish :) She is also one of the most memorable characters as her morals are put to the test (as everyone's are) at the Episodes end.

Oh, it also has a very real and genuine belly laugh from Picard, just wonderful.

So yeah, well worth it, great episode that has very simple, basic, human needs in peril, and the crew of the Enterprise have to solve it all in 45 mins.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I will check it out. I put up a new antenna a few weeks ago and I get this station call H&I (Heroes and Icons) and they play Star Trek from the beginning season to Enterprise, 6 nights a week. I've been kind of binge watching. Voyager has some really good stories, and so does Enterprise. I had to take a break tonight, I can't do that much Star Trek every night.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    apparntly CBS been air season 1 last 2 months, I wonder if they will air the other seasons too. as mush as i hate what they did to kligons it not bad and I like the Empire spin

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    TOS is the solid foundations that the franchise has been built on which has given the franchise what seem like unlimited legs, and even today it is still for me the No1 of the Trek franchise, i will never grow tried of it ever, and i await the 4k HDR release of it.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I would like to see 4k release too, but I want the one withOUT the CGI ship and planets

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    They could do what they did with the BR release, have both versions on the discs, it works perfectly.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that would be great, all channels that play the original on TV seem to be using the CGI verisons, which imo ruin the originals

16. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    I agree, however I enjoy it in original SD.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    An update for any one that is still interested in modern Trek.

Despite Kurtzman and Bad Robot's dire attempts the shows have done very poorly in the ratings and the CBS stock has been hit pretty badily as a result of their big name franchise not drawing in the viewers or the subs to their all access service. So very strange that this guy has been rehired for another five year contract, (bad news for anyone that was hoping new Trek would get better.)

Overlord DVD is a tad OTT sometimes but he seems to give a good insight in to how this utter madness has come to be

Let me clairfy my position on modern Trek

I stuck with STD till mid way through season 3 and yes I defended the first season, more on the ground of let's see where it goes, after all most ST shows were ropey in their first seasons.
    I am going to watch Picard S2, purely because Q looks like the big antagonist, part of me hoped for some lazy deus ex machina, snap the fingers reset to more familiar Trek story line but hearing that ongoing Trek will have to stick to the 20% look-a-like clause has pretty much blown that hope
    Couldn't care about section 31, primarily because Emperor Georgiou was one of the biggest reasons I quit Disco, she was the focal point, the tip of the spear of negative tedium that was STD.
    Strange New Worlds I'll give it a go, Pike was easily the best thing about STD and a Trek show with The Enterprise has to be given the benefit of the doubt.... well until they ruin that as well.
    Lower Decks I like it, if you cut out the crass stupidty and humour it is easily the closest thing to old Trek. It doesn't have ANY of the negativity or darkness of the other Trek shows and what started as poking fun at Trek tropes has now become a per episode easter egg hunt instead. I am looking forward to season 2.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If the tumor of Chibnall that infected the Dr Who franchise can be gotten rid of, then hopefully one day the same will happen to Kurzman infected Star Trek.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Or Kennedy and Star Wars. It seems that Kurtzman is being promoted out of control.

KissSh0t likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Is the show runner be replaced? cause DR who has bee horrid for past few season.

I also dont have issue with female who I have problem with way they act talk which nothing like all the other incarnations. I was not fan about Story "change" to get around the 12 regenerations