Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Was Star Trek meant to inspire people to be kinder, smarter, wiser, responsible, ... simply better?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I'm glas the series is back. The first 2 episodes of season 3 are more entertaining then season 2 in total. I'm glad they are going places now.

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080ti GamX
    Saru traveled thru time for Burham. Kyle Reese traveled thru time for Sara Conners. Reese never turned against Conners for biting the hand that saved her. It annoys me how easy it is for StarFleet to turn against the one they traveled thru time for.
    It also bother me that with all their future tech they are stuck without warp drive, no Dilithium substitute to be found.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I summed up my final opinion on STD in The Expanse thread

Hypernaut and Size_Mick like this.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Called it.

6. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    It seems our beloved shows being deliberately dismantled.

7. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah I do not care about all the crits on STD,I think it is the best STAR TREK SERIES ever.Although it is the internet so I do not like all the sappy stuff.

8. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Yeah I had to look it up to find it but I thought I'd recalled that ...

“Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. […] If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.”
    ― Gene Roddenberry

Since we are talking Star Trek & in no attempt to ravage this show (STD) - which unfortunately has the worst (utter worst) abbreviation - that aside I feel like CBS wanted the show to attempt at something "lighter-hearted" it instead may have come across as awkward or childish to some viewers. Personally, I feel that's where Star Trek Picard came in. I believe that the show took itself less seriously than fans may have expected (you had some such as Next Generations that came before for example) Bearing that in mind, CBS invested heavily in Picard which is of a darker, rich, deep tone with a dramatic flair'. To be fair it is Patrick Stewart so ... well yeah, say no more. I feel like between both shows running at the network right now each on one end they probably help balance each other out for Trekkies.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    WRONG, but you are allowed to feel in any way you want, but objectively, there is nothing that resembles Star Trek in these shows...and as I've asked in the past, if they wanted to make teevee shows with these plotlines, why not just create a new sci-fi teevee show and call it it 'weekly sci show in spaaaaace' ?

This did not have to have the words 'Star Trek' slapped onto it! SO WHY DID THEY?

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  10. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Well - removing the matter of the show storylines aside and speaking objectively, brand-recognition for one I'd imagine?

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Precisely!

What they wrote was not good enough to survive critical appraisal, so, they had to slap 'star trek' on the side of it for people to consider it of any worth.

Without the name of Star Trek, it has nothing going for it...so...why not give it the value of story telling and tv show construction (time-limited weekly show) that its fore-bearers deserve?

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  12. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Stylistically they are different, less of the "slow-burn" approach I think than earlier shows had been & more of an attempt to integrate action elements that some have criticized as being too inspired by Star Wars and other brands from what I have read in some reviews. Personally, I think the variety of perspectives in art isn't a bad thing, the reception of the audience helps drive it; your point is good. That the audience (reception) basically helps drive the different takes on a subject matter but in this context (the new Star Treks) it seems they are either heavily embraced or rejected. I suppose that was my goal by balancing things out?

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    How about I paint over the Mona Lisa and say that IMHO it is better?

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rowan Atkinson did that for comedy factor. It was funny, but nobody wanted it to really happen, as that would be perversion of art.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    One could argue that TNG is totally different from the original Star Trek, but people loved it. people define their own definition of what star trek is and what it should be, so if it is slightly different it is bad.
    I personally love how they expand. I could easily enjoy a show about the first andorian to join star trek for instance.

I hope the alternative dimension (the evil empire) makes a return, i totally love them. kinda like the Nazi episodes in the original show.

Kevin Mauro likes this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    And...this isn't?

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    Has the third series been release yet?

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    STD is exactly that.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 GTX
    Clarify please, not sure what you mean.

20. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    There's a man in some kind of wheelchair but it doesn't have wheels. It floats along the floors. That's very interesting.