Star Citizen To Support AMD's TressFX Tech

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD reconfirmed today that Star Citizen will support its TressFX tech. In addition, a new commercial video has been released that can be viewed below. And no I won't make any jokes about spaceships w...

Star Citizen To Support AMD's TressFX Tech

2. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Wow! That was both beautiful technology and a beautiful use of it. Now THAT is the sort of thing that would entice me to spend a lot of money on a graphics card.

3. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    That was a weird looking reflection off the mask at the start of the video, the explosions were a bit cheesy too....I wonder when will this game come out....if it will come out.
    I also wonder what kind of tressfx implementation will this game have.

4. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    brace yourselves, more fanboy bashing is coming

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What? it was a purely cgi trailer, not ingame. Looked like something out of the Starship troopers cgi cartoon. Id even argue that the actual game looks far better than that trailer thing.

6. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    He was being obviously sarcastic.

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I wasn't. It was a beautiful trailer with beautiful CGI. We're getting closer and closer to having something like this be the actual graphics in a real-time game. Both the graphics in this trailer and the subtle humour of it made me very interested in this game.

8. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    :3eyes::fuse::O

9. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    The trailers are all made with game assets entirely in engine.

They may be stylised, in lore, but they're not "purely cgi"

CDJay

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    an amazing trailer

11. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Looks good, glad to see a game taking advantage of all available tech.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    TressFX 2.0, at least 5-10x faster vs that in TombRaider..

I was gonna say but where is this tressFx now, then @ 2:20 mark they finally showed it - but kinda meh she should have had longer hair :p

Overall game looks very nice.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually it's all in engine. They obviously create the scene and spice it up with non-real time effects and stuff but it's done entirely in CryEngine.

14. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    The humour in all of the ship trailers is spot on, and getting better each time. They still won't make me buy more than my little 300i as my ticket into the game. I'll rather earn the bigger ships in the game. Hey, at least I'm not starting with an Aurora :)

15. expo

expo Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 / 3.5GB + 0.5GB
    Not the best music choice. Or isn't that what this is about :)

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just don't watch any actually game play stuff then because I have never been so bored in all my life. I watched Scott Manley testing their latest racing ship, the one that got the Top Gear style trailer and my god was it dull, almost as dull as the Arena combat he then tried it in after the racing.

(on a side note I've known of one other game that is guilty of having stone cold levels of boring gameplay but releases CGI trailers that make the game look far more exciting than it actually is, EVE. This game seems to be following suit.)

I mean yes the game LOOKS amazing but the game play looks fantastically dull certainly not something I would be shelling out the amount of cash they are asking for just one of their ships.

Of course it's work in progress so who knows maybe when ALL the elements are in place and they are willing to sell the ENTIRE game at a price that doesn't border on crazy then yeah who knows.

17. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    When I saw the title, I thought that they've put some hairy carpets inside the spaceships :D

18. flightrisk

flightrisk Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 560ti
    I've wanted to sign up to comment @ guru3d for a while and a few uninformed comments on this story pushed me over the edge.

Considering this is a hardware site primarily I would think members would be really excited for a game that takes such advantage of hardware and be a bit informed about the game because of the fact that is doing that.

As said the trailer is done entirely in-engine w/ added time effects as well as scripted animations etc. What's crazy is (minus the dramatization in the scripting) the maneuvers displayed in the commercial are completely possible to pull off in the game in it's current form. You'd have to be almost super-humanly talented to do it though. I would agree Arena Commander is currently difficult to be good at in comparison to many games but far from boring. What's in Star Citizen currently is only a fraction of what is planned, yet at the same time whats in it is already more fleshed out and polished than I would have ever expected for a game this scale.

Also the prices to secure ships are really for the purpose of funding the game because it is entirely CROWD FUNDED without a publisher to screw things up for RSI and thus the players. Once the game is in full swing you'll be able to purchase them with in game credits. All I own is a 300i and I feel I've made the contribution I am capable of making but I'm totally down with RSI accumulating as much money as possible so they can really blow every other game out of the water and give us an experience that is totally uncharted. This game wouldn't be nearly what it is now if the pledges didn't reflect what this kind of the thing costs to get going and judging by the amount of money raised thus far it's pretty obvious that people are excited.

I would think people would be psyched about how successful this all is @ this point. Especially among gamers that can appreciate a type of development that avoids cutting corners and a developer who engages their customers the way they do.

19. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Yeah well I was disappointed too, the implementation looked literally too flat...Oh and tomb raider, the definitive edition had tressFX 2.0 and there were only minor visual improvements, but at least it ran better :)

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually, TressFX 2.0 was released on January 2014 ( SDK ), they are at the v2.2 now.

Well, they are in work in progress, what i see who have clearly change is the physic / interaction with her hand, when she pass her fingers through the hairs... its too short, so not easy to see. ( Anyway, i enjoin you to watch it on 4K )

Anyway, the video was for show their new ship, not show the use of TressFX.

Now we need a grass covered planet lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014