Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Played an hour or so of the open event/beta/whateveritwas.

It seems they have barely made any progress? Is it just me or is this purposely overly complicated to navigate by default? There are like 6 different UI's, there doesn't seem to be a solid starting point. Wake up in a random bunker, spawn into a match with random people, waypoints point in the wrong direction, too many UI's too look at leads to overwhelming you, door prompts to open don't appear unless you press your face against them, crashes to desktop all over the place (crashed like 5 times), performance is an abomination (which I expected but not this bad). Defaults to very high @ 1440p getting between 35-46fps average highest ive seen is around 75fps. I scaled the settings all the way down to the lowest possible.... frame rate does not improve at all (maybe 3-5fps at best) even after restarting the game. Consistent random stutters even with the game on a PCIE4 NVME, how is this even possible?

I gave up, clearly the game simply isn't ready yet not even in the slightest. Sure this game is going to be huge when completed but will there ever be a completion date? If I was them I would get that single player mode out ASAP. Give people something to play with a narrative, with a goal, a story, let people see what the game is all about. Then focus on the open universe aspect of the game and release that as like an addon/DLC later.

I also expect a console version now with the next generation being quite a bit more powerful than before.

They need to finish this game, its been what nearly 10 years? With over $250 million dollars raised, not to mention potential private investors.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the servers have never been right in 3.9 then they booted this event out and the flash and limited sales have been killing even the login servers AND cig seems to cheap it 2 amazon when they run these things it some long time players called a mile out and i been having account issues since 3.8.

391 is flat out the best of the lot but the event i think is still causing instability and 30ks. i have gotten good sessions here and there but as many times i get 30ks trying to get out of port or figuring out what i want to do. fps is lower 3.9 but its been the 30ks been breaking accounts and missions. and a bunch of players cant get thru the character creator even, the game force me thru it every time i launch but my character is the preset head for some reason i can select and go.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Cool... yes, but it does spend a little too much time in the uncanny valley. I am thinking ganky Gamebyro / Creation Engine NPCs when I see this.

Is anyone thinking that by the time SC releases it may have been over shadowed? By that I mean a few years ago SC was being held up as the way games would be funded, marvel at the amazing graphics, the incredible tech going on behind the scenes to bring the game 'world' to life.

Now I am more impressed by the visuals and underlying tech being touted for FS2020.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    This...

CPC_RedDawn likes this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    its been 7 and it was with no staff studios or engine so yea a AAA game takes time sometimes buckloads of it, but do tell your armchair opinion how they could do it better or faster.

atm if they not blowing smoke the single player game they want in beta by the end of the year, most likely next year but they been pushing and then this covid nonsense slowed stuff down for 39 and 310 gee an alpha build of a game that gets 30 to 40 fps i played in late betas that ran worse STO and vangaurd saga of heros ran like ASS in ALPHA and WELL INTO BETA.

when they get s42 out then nvidia will have a game to driver support and that will benefit the pu that is adding more vulkan pipelines all the time to eek out that 30 to 40 you get. more like mid 20s for me 39s was 30s in 38 but hey iT IS ALPHA, i wish they stop breaking my procreating account though.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Development began in 2011, so its been 9 years. Also they did have an engine, they were using Cryengine 3 for a long time until the debacle that ensued over them taking the Cryengine logo off their advertisements but still were using a large portion of the cryengine code which Crytek tried to sue them over.

None of us are going to be able to give an accurate assessment of how they could of done things better. But things do seem very mismanaged thus far, only going by what we have heard and read. They keep setting dates and they keep missing them, time and time again. The "alphas" and "betas" they have released show a game in a total mess of a state which don't show the game in a good light to people who try them out. Also they are burning through cash extremely quickly last time I checked estimated they had only $50 mill left over. This will go very quickly, unless they have or get more investment.

Kickstarter round 3 it might be for them, unless they have a private investor..... Microsoft, Sony...anyone?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Yes they have Private Investors.

When will the game be moved to Vulkan?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    When S42 see the lights of day, then. ;)

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it didn't, the demo crytek wrangled up has nothing to do with the playable code as it is now, real development didn't start till 2013.

HandR likes this.
  10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    And when i say that this game will never come to fruition they tell me dont troll.....lol.....no comment

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    they been adding vulkan stuff since 3.8 particles were one on the first vulkan things they did for weather and etc.

vulkan support being done in s42 and ported over to the pu far as i know to get the vulkan updates it mostly in the s42 studio updates. that stuff is branched into the pu builds.

Undying and KissSh0t like this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Star Citizen 3.10 on test server

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They need to fix the serious memory leaks in the planet spawn locations

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You cannot run this game with a 16gb even though recommended system req. sais so. You wound encounter serious stuttering after very short period of time.

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    you can run it with 16 but it will complain.

24 is the recommended however.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Problem is, game might say its using 14GB, but nearly 24GB's are committed

I think the issue is that OCS is not enabled on those planets.

Undying and cerebus23 like this.
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea try upping your virtual memory also on SSD if you got one free.

and try shutting down stuff my browser is usually using 2 3 gig :p, then i got winamp and a bunch of folders and stuff and yea it can complain sometimes still runs.