1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I have nothing to compare it against, but it did seem like a good deal. At one point we were getting paid based on profits from console sales.

I think alot of gamers see it as blackmail, support us financially or risk the game not being made or being picked up by a big publisher and watered down.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eh it is a way to end around publishers, but we currently in the hey lets shill for corporations generation, so any attempt to do that is going to draw the extreme haters.

And every and any implosion gives them more ammo, but oddly the bigger implosions are not really cited more. Because there have been funding disasters.

Star citizen is hands down the biggest project i think though in this field, a single player series of games plus the live universe mmo lite. There is ton that can go wrong wo the peanut gallery wishing for it weekly. If they pull it off wo issue though? well that just proves it can be done and gives the hey lets chuck the publishers out the window side more ammo.

But we see with the bioware/ea dynamic it is debatable how much of biowares woes are down to EA meddling that were not DLC and pricing related. it was bioware seeming being 100% dysfunctional as a company that could not make a game to save its life. Ea pricing models do not help but they were not the reason that Andromeda and anthem failed that was all bioware.

Yea there are no hard and fast rules in this stuff about where to put your trust or your money. Its very much a case by case basis.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    You didn't read the associated Forbes article, did you?

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    so now forbes is a gossip rag?

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I am yet to read anything that is incorrect in that article, and, I am yet to read anything by other forums members here that disavows it/them/him in any way.

There have not been any rebuttals anywhere - and if there are, please let me know and I will read them with both eyes open.

Nothing is above criticism.

6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Now? Heh.

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Forbes has been a trash rag for a while,

and pay no attention to Loobyluggs, he drops links like that and a comment appearing to be neutral to the situation but its pure virtue signalling

theres some sort of narcissism involved when a person needs to make something that they have no personal investment in as some sort of problem for them.

The forbes article is just the annual yearly (s)hitpiece that CIG gets.

HandR, SerotoNiN and cerebus23 like this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Really girlfriend?

Telling other people how they should treat another forum member?

I would like to think that, forum members are able to debate without needing a 'safe space' where they do not see or hear of people to oppose their perspectives, but w/e, just block me so I don't melt your snow-flaked POV.

good grief...

Even the website owner linked it...and I doubt you would ever tell people to 'ignore' HH, but if you are, please let me know in advance so I can buy some popcorn.

To think, I even stated 'nothing is above criticism' but no, you cannot hear that can you?

btw, I have never blocked anyone on any forum ever, I would rather confront their points one by one - perhaps that is just rose-tinted thinking?

Stay on topic, and turn off your adblocking software, like I do.

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Apparently they've pushed back the S42 Open Beta by a full quarter to Q3 2020...

Alrighty then...

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Honestly not surprising - the entire development shift isn't surprising to me either.. 3 month feature window is extremely small when you figure they need spend atleast a month on integration and polish.

I'm just glad they are finally adding mission sharing give me and friends something to do in the game again.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I fully expected a delay on SQ42, there has been some necessary ship and lighting engine polish going on recently.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    I just wish they added some form of basic raytraced shadows, even some basic raytracing can run on 5-7 years old GPU.
    Shadows have been broken for a long time in SC, with a lot of cascade shadow artefact all over the place.

Have you guys checked the latest ship? 890j?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They have already ruled that out as not happening.

not until such gpu's make up the majority anyway.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Odd given that the guys where jumping any bandwagon they could for the last few years and have always claimed that the games graphics are at the cutting edge. Now you have something that is new and 'cutting edge' and CIG aren't telling every man, his dog and his best mates hamster how they are going to have that impemented in the game in fifteen years time but only if the community agrees to buy at least fourty thousand versions of their latests limited edition for a limited time offer $600 ship...

Yeah I wish I was joking about that last ship and it's price but it seems I am not

[​IMG]

God I wish I could get some of whatever the folks at CIG are smoking where they think a single ship in game is worth the equivelant of not one, not two, not three but 22 new games.

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    not odd being that "stretch goals" were settled at the time they cut off stretch goals funding and stopped addng featured and nothing rtx was even out there when that went down.

and that ship is the size of a sub capitol ship multi crew mine layer, not even a ship a noob or solo player could even find a use for.

nm the hammerhead in the same range is roughly the same price and the polaris same price range, you should research more.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    From what I understand these things are to help fund the game, purchasing these things are not required to be able to use them in the game, although a player would need to make whatever in game currency by doing missions to acquire said items, or space ships in this case, in the game.

I just put it down to there being a lot of people who really want this type of game, it's easy to see by the amount of people that are more than happy to spend this type of money on what is essentially a digital item of little worth other than the different things said item allows a player to do in the game.

Heck even I'm a little disappointed by SQ42 being pushed back, still... what has been shown of it looks super cool.

I wonder if derek smart is still having a brain aneurysm over this... or if he has even made any progress at all on his own game.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Fortnite is using raytraced shadows :eek:

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't summon satan here.

cerebus23 likes this.