1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
  2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL @cebebus23 I am fucking with ya,my computer is fine.

cerebus23 likes this.
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    right..

Looks shitty imo:p, too blurry and I set sharpen to 50, this is at max v.high

also some poor optimization in FFA, look up 72fps , down a little 48..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was multi multi at that deck. Didn't play more got a crash later (wmea 0.124) when I went outside and then back in some outside hall xD, need more cpuv.. still, this 416.xx driver is weird.
    [​IMG]

Also it seems to be capped at 72fps, even though I disabled vsync.. that said it ran ok, dunno how it's actually when I'm in flight here in actual multi, but so far I expected much much worse..

will try more tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i always use a user.cfg to disable dof and blur hate those effects.

Not sure why the overall game would be blurry but i not been on there this build till i bother to setup my stick again. Can find guides on how to make a user.cfg and the different commands.

lest the fps is solid vs the 3.0 release where at best you were averaging like 20 some fps on any populated server and maybe 30s with a monster rig.

Those network systems are paying off and they need to do the culling yet.

Ohh looks like you are in the arena stuff you tried the online sandbox yet? to see what frames you get there?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I did have camera motion blur on, will try that off too.. but it seems to be some post AA blurring, I have max settings - v.high.

last screen before i got bsod I was in that hangar and where you have your ship etc.. I saw few other players running around there and it was still stable, even outside..

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well it still runs ok'ish 72fps (guess it's tripebuffer issue), but there were few stutters today, yesterday was smoother in that main hangar. Got the ship and took it for a ride, but it looks so empty.. dunno, or I went to a wrong place.. Also landed on some moon xD

meh, would never want to spend 100 or even 1000$+ for this lol
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    short edit of last night gameplay with Anvil Arrow !

Humanoid_1 and cerebus23 like this.
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea all the bodies around crusader the gas giant are moons hurston is the first full planet added with biomes and a full sized city, weather systems and critters to come later. think daymar has some cacti scattered around or something on it thought.

moons have points of interests on them though, mining stations the big ones since buying minerals to sell at crusader or the other outpost that i dont have enough coffee in me to remember yet, is or was a good way to make money. And moons can be scanned along with asteroid belts to mine if you got a mining ship.

go see hurston. your going to have to zoom your navigation map out, think double click will do that. because it is way the hell out and most ships will take 15 minutes or so to reach.

-Tj- likes this.
  9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Nice little video & ship, been wanting to buy something more fighter like for a while now.

I was Kinda hoping it might fit in my Carrack when it finally arrives, but suspect the folded wings will stand far too high for it's baby hangar. The Carrack has apparently grown in size by about 10 meters though.
    Oh and btw, they now have a 5 man team working full time on the Carrack again ^^

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    carrack will have its own snub ship.

If it fit it sits though tho they are not gonna allow the carrack to become a mini carrier. ;p.

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yea, sometimes I think I should have gone with a Polaris when I had the chance, though I still think the Carrack is overall better suited to long distance exploration + will be helped by smaller crew size to play with a group of like minded friends.

Then again that will be part of what makes this game great, it's quality size and variety of possibilities to explore and enjoy.

Exploration was by a very long way the role most of the community voted interest in, doubling the next most popular career if I remember correctly as a result of which CIG are modifying the content to make this option more rewarding and interesting.

I spent far too long exploring interesting spaces and looking for hidden places in Freelancer years back, had a lot of fun with that game :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea i got an aquilia that i intend to use for exploration.

but i MIGHT be tempted to CCU it to a carrack depending on how that ends up looking and some guesstimates on operating costs and range.

i really like the connie hull though, just wish they tweaked the cockpits on all those ships.

i like the ploaris hull quite a bit also but the fact it is a torpedo boat on top it has a higher crew requirement puts me off.

Humanoid_1 likes this.
  13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Exactly that.

I miss my Connie, I used to have one of the originals that came with a signed box, but after Chris had mentioned we could melt packages and reclaim them later I melted it to get a Retaliator in it's limited sale as I Really like the idea of a gunship at the time and this felt like the closest match. Then later found reclaimed Signed box copy ships was not an option, still a bit sore about that one...

My Retaliator is now a Hammerhead, but still very tempted to get a Constellation again as I also just love it's hull design + the interiors have been so much improved after the re-design leaving it really a rather nice ship :)

It was a toss up between the Hammerhead and the Polaris for me, but I was also put off by the huge torpedo part of the ship, in hindsight I should not have let it bother me I think.
    Little annoyed the Hammerhead ended up being a fairly slow ship as much as it did would have probably gone Polaris now.
    Still really like the Hammerhead though and overall it ended up being better than I expected :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I must say that the FPS problems are almost gone and very playable now.Still massive stuttering at times but does not matter.Games has some nice visuals,love cryengine stuff but from what I played and seen so far it is not a buy for me yet.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Thanks, but I already deleted it.

Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about now that it was free to try

cerebus23 likes this.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    All good but you missed the main attraction in this update lol. The scale of the city is pretty damn impressive.

17. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Problem put off.... can think about it in my own time now.

I bought a Hammerhead upgrade to Polaris for £24 :)

I remember what also put me off it now having looked over it's specs, only has 2 Medium Fuel (+ L Quantum Fuel) tanks whereas the Hammerhead has 2 Large (+ M Quantum Fuel).
    vs
    Polaris has 3 Large Fuel Intakes against the Hammerhead's 2 Medium Fuel Intakes (can these also replenish Q Fuel?)

How do you think this effects long range play, any idea how useful the fuel intakes are when you find a suitable planet? They do need a gas giant to work right?
    (not had my finger on the pulse for a while now so have a few gaps in my knowledge...)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Far as i know all ships that have intakes when they travel through space will replenish their quantum fuel over time, sucking in hydrogen atoms or something. Also think i have heard that some ships will be able to enter gas giants and nebulas and refill faster. Starfairer are made to enter gas giants to "mine" fuel. Some cap ships i imagine will be able to do something similar but less efficiently. though might be best to look for more solid info on that i going by memory here and a bit of guesswork.

thing is with the hammerhead to polaris i imagine the polaris is much larger mass wise. Just looking at the two polaris takes up a ton more space. So even though they have different quantum fuel tanks it could take the polaris more fuel to jump vs the hammer and hence the size difference. But this is sheer theorycrafting. Maybe the polaris has 3 intakes to refill its tank faster since it s burning more fuel.

Until they build the polaris we wont have accurate mass data for that ship and well things are subject to change.

For my money the hammerhead plus polaris is a near perfect patrol duo, the hammer has the guns and gun coverage and the polaris has the capitol sized torps that can kill big ships. they would pack an incredible one two punch at lest on paper, if they can actually patrol together.

Humanoid_1 likes this.
  19. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Yup, certainly going to have some fun with either ship !
    Especially once in a good org.

Going to have to see how this fuel thing plays out it seems, no idea about how much various ships use yet myself. It would be nice if they added some range stats for both fuels types in the Ship Matrix. (+ need to know a bit more about the Scoops, like range extenders or how long they take to refuel the tanks while drifting through space)

The Polaris could make a fun ship to explore with too. Still keeping my Carrack though. Hard to give up the pool table ;)

I like a lot about the Hammerheads looks, but must admit I am taken with some of the Polaris' looks too, the rear engine cluster just gives a feeling of a proper starship. Probably something from latent memories of various Sci-Fi shows ^^

EDIT : added a few lines

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    apparently swimming is still off the books...

I was exploring the wilderness and came across a large lake, fairly rough waters but decided to wade in and see what was what.
    All was going well, until the water touched my helmet... yeah don't touch your helmet to the dirty waters, I woke up back in my bed lol

I have heard that swimming will be a thing in a later patch.

Nice to see the variety of detail in the landscapes up close, things are really coming together now. Will do some more exploring when I find time :)

Might sound silly, but I kinda hope you can fish at some point. Can imagine finding a beautiful spot someplace landing my Carrack, breaking out a few toys and just hanging out by a fire..

EDIT: I used to really dislike the idea of fishing in games, but having ended up doing it as part of others, it kinda grew on me.

I wonder if we can kill & BBQ some of the fauna they are going to introduce later on, wouldn't surprise me. Star Citizen already has procedurally generated meal tech developed so they do not all look the same lol

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    cerebus23 likes this.