Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks for the tip.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I tried it the last time they had a free weekend. It runs abysmally bad. It's pretty much unplayable.

chispy likes this.
  3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    If performance is bad, relogging to a different server can help, poor performance can relate to a server with too many objects generated by lots of players. It is a known problem that is getting fixed in a coming release.
    On a fresh server near 60fps is possible.

Everyone is looking forward to this being fixed. Changes in the next 3.3.0 update address this.

EDIT: also worth checking this for other tweaks:

http://www.boredgamer.co.uk/2018/04/02/star-citizen-performance-guide-3-1/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  4. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I have this game.
    Yes its a mess.
    Yes it is overhyped by its players.
    Yes they have done a huge amount of work with little to show the average gamer.
    Yes its a long way from being done.
    Yes we know how much money has been spent.
    Yes we know about the lawsuit.
    Yes we know the goalposts have been moved many times.
    Yes we know about the FPS.
    Yes we know you need a $4k set to run it.
    Yes we know....
    I like an ongoing project, don't mind waiting and checking in every so often to see whats new.
    I really don't care if it ever leads to anything.
    I have spent less on it than nearly every other game in the last 5 years, at 70 bucks each.
    So bash away at it, its entertaining to read.
    But, before that, can you all tell us, why?
    Why the hate? How do the facts I've stated above affect your life?
    Why does it matter so much?
    Have a Great Day!

HandR likes this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Not trying to argue but first thing I did when I saw ridiculous low FPS on GTX 1080Ti ,was to search google.

I seen people talking about logging into a different server and it was the same way back in 2016 on which was going to be fixed in 2.xxx,3.xxxx ETC
    • Module Star Citizen Alpha 2
    • Version 2.5.0 on PTU
    • Category Frame-rate/Performance is super crap
    Also checked out boredgamer tweaks
    • Set M.2 500GB as page file
    • Installed Star Citizen alone on said m.2 500GB
    • Made user CFG with all low setting thru very high
    • All placebo BS
    Checked a lot of sites thru google and it is just all the same crap

• Installed game on a different computer
    • Tried SLI GTX 1080Ti
    • Frame-rate/Performance is still crap

@Coolerking
    I am one of those guys that want to love this game,I want to play this game but when I try to play a game with SLI GTX 1080ti's and can not get 30 FPS on a 165HZ Gsync monitor to play smooth even at the ridiculous low FPS it is just a sad state that Star Citizen game is in,a terrible unplayable game.

For those people who play at 10-40 FPS all the time have fun ,that is not an enjoyable gaming experience for me.

chispy likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Uh, because this is a computer technology forum where people have discussions and exchange opinions, and video games are part of that?

May I ask why people discussing the game affects your life? Why does it matter to you so much?

Octopuss and chispy like this.
  7. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Might have been some useful tidbits at Bored's site, but I expected your system to not likely be in need of such band aids.

With this free fly weekend I imagine all the servers are bogged down, CIG are really shooting themselves in the foot a bit with this move and should have warned people at the Least about such performance issues... ...Best would have been to do the FreeFly weekend once 3.3.0 launch with performance fixes !!!

CIG have been talking a lot about the work to bring this update live, it has taken a long time as it is a rather big and involved task. Still, it is finally due out in Q3.
    I can only recommend playing at a time when the servers have a lighter load or once 3.3.0 is released for you. 15fps is not fun in most games, especially one like this..

gerardfraser likes this.
  8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thank you for the help,I want to play and I will retry again when 3.3.0 drops,I am not bitter I would like to play this game and it is a shame that it is not playable when they have a free fly weekend.

Is the game playable if your a backer other than the free fly weekends.

chispy likes this.
  9. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Other than having to sift through 73 pages, most of which are full of the same negative statements, while looking for meaningful help and support regarding the game and it's progress, it matters not kind Sir!
    Again, Have A Nice Day!

10. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Backers can play anytime they like, though extra ships to test fly come and go.
    I've not personally played for Some time, but watch quite a lot videos of others enjoying decent fps often in the 35-45 range, though they may have restarted a few times to get that or be playing on say Euro servers late at night ? (uk perspective here for off peak play)

I've recently upgraded my PC so will be jumping in there soon - am away from home for a few more days though.

I'm looking forward to 3.3.0 (3.3.0 details here) as it brings some good changes:

- Performance Improvements in various forms.

- New planet with landing location and 4 moons + rest stop locations

- Improved AI

- Integrated VoIP & FoIP

- Improved Turret play

- Interesting new ships (OK I'm biased -> Hammerhead)

- new missions & play options

gerardfraser likes this.

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    Just downloaded,game is unplayable, can t even load into the universe, such a horrible performancd, never seen anything like this before, ofc game will not finish if its in this current state

chispy likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    I did downloaded and try it , game runs like a very early pre-alpha state game :/ , game keeps crashing and when it did painfully slow load my fps were 25fps :rolleyes: on a heavily moded overclocked 1080Ti under full cover water block at 2126Mhz and Ryzen 2700x at 4300Mhz , memory 16GB at 3600Mhz my system is 100% stable.

Will retry again in the year 2050 when it might be in Beta :confused:

gerardfraser likes this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    look for bored gamers tweak guide for 3.0.

Also make sure you have a page file (on SSD preferably) even if you got 100 gig of ram because lack of a page file will cause the game to crash.

Also delete your user folder if you have crash issues old user folders can cause crashes.

Also disable windows game mode, i know for 100% that that caused the 3.0 release to crash, nm that windows game mode is garbage to begin with and you should have it disabled already. MSI afterburner would also cause 3.0 to crash.

end you can try helpdesk (on RSI website) on spectrum for more help in tracking down crash issues that is what those people are there for.

From all i heard the latest builds of star citizen is pretty stable, not had time or the inclination to play much of late, kinda waiting on object container streaming and the netcode stuff coming in the next update (fingers crossed) which should up the overall fps a good bit, but a 1080 should get more fps then 20 even on busy servers.

and shocking an alpha game plays like an alpha :p, still the crashing is probably something on your end.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    please seems as if you are trying to defend the game with any way you can, for this game is just not a stable game, i ve never seen a game load, crash, or play that slow and not even enter the game that slowly... sorry but i will wait maybe 10 years and maybe this game will be in a playable state

chispy likes this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    bored says the game is stable for him, so yea shocking an alpha takes some work to play it is never going to be install and play less your are lucky as hell with your system cfg.

guess game testing is not your thing.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Well, it was a "play for free" weekend, not a "test our game for free" weekend.

ramthegamer and chispy like this.
  17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    If I am testing THEIR game for THEM then I am doing a job which means THEY should be paying ME not the other way round.

I mean come on messing about with page files to get a game to work... is this the early 2000s???

18. lol this game & its kool-aid... my grandchildren will talk of it, patch v70.0

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    how many betas/alphas have you all been in?

they are a test bed not a free game to play. every beta and etc i been in i was bug finding and reporting.

not for everyone obviously.

but too many people take these things as a free thing to play, and do not give a toss about reporting bugs.

20. Fair enough - mind me asking in contrast to your statement how many of them this can be compared to in format and time-frame far as road-map to production was concerned?