Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    hey hey, why the heck would you call urself a baby dressed up as a man???? game is just in development limbo for years in case ur wise brain didn t realize

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    TF2, WoW, SC2, Overwatch (if you count Titan), Too Human, Spore, Diablo 3, L.A. Noire, Alan Wake and Darkfall were all in development as long or longer than Star Citizen has been. They all started with established studios and in some cases established lore/assets. They all were able to develop their games completely unhinged by community interests or ever-shifting budgets. 6 years is long but it's not development limbo, especially when you consider the scope of the project, the fact they had to build out an entire production pipeline and multiple studios along with what essentially looks like a full movie production, ship modular updates to the game which slows the critical path and contend with inconsistent funding.

It's easy to sit here and say "they should have done this, or that" in hindsight but managing a project of this size isn't a particularly easy thing and there is no guidebook to doing it, let alone through community fundraising which makes it astronomically more difficult. As it stands right now it seems like they have most of their major "backend" systems online with the exception of the huge netcode update coming in the next several patches (probably over the next year). That's typically the longest part of any game project - now you start ramping up content production and filling the game with actual things to do. Realistically, I don't expect a 1.0 verison of Star Citizen until 2020 at the earliest if they can even fund themselves that far - but I do expect SQ42 by the end of 2019, which I think will boost sales and keep them going (again if they can fund themselves for the rest of this year and next).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    cerebus23, XenthorX, Anarion and 3 others like this.
  3. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    They went past the 2 million backer mark, collected over $180M, and they've released 3.1...worth a *bump*

4. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    *yawn*
    Wake me up when the game is actually released...

5. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    You've got a long long sleep ahead my friend :)

BangTail and chispy like this.
  6. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    when star travel is an option

7. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    *bump* currently at over $187M...$7M gained in the last two months, $12M over the past 5 months. CIG keep introducing/repeating tidbits of a game, people keep throwing money at it. Guess I'll have to scan through some Youtube uploads again to catch up on the progress...

8. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    So as long as they are receiving money, they are going to put it towards further development? If that's the case, the game will never release, not that it matters as the vast majority of their consumers that would buy this game have likely already contributed. It's almost as successful as the sales of GTA 5 without ever releasing.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    They are not adding new features but they are developing the tech and systems to make the features they pledged to and the backers supported. The game was feature locked during the initial funding phase.

S42 is waiting on systems from the universe side ship flight systems, scanning, AI, network stuff and optimizations. And all those systems are on the development roadmap for this year. ground and new flight AI is toward the 3.3 patch i think.

So no new money will continue to fund the game they promised, and any left over will goto running the servers for the MMO part of the game and to work on the next chapters of s42.

Also worth considering is that star citizen is not doing standard marketing, their advertisement is done by the community and events. Where your typical game has a 250 million budget 40 to 60% of that 250 is in ad buys and marketing.

I think for sure s42 will be releasing next year and the mmo side of the game is at most 2 years off. Maybe a year or under to a beta state that is feature complete, and then they do balance passes and bug fixes on the road to gold status.

So no they not going to be adding more features to drag out the funding phase for all eternity. In fact most of their base tools are done and only a few are they still working on or improving.

Nosein likes this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    it's a bit weird that they advertise 3.2 patch at the end, while the featured footage doesn't reflect 3.2 gameplay

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    3.2 currently in evocoti or however they spell it. And PTU release in the next few weeks though. Plus i think they still tweaking the mining stuff.

Looking forward to trying out the hurricane, and the nox, i skipped 3.1 to play other stuff, So will definitely give 3.2 a go.

Sucks about the optimization stuff getting pushed back but what they got done i guess needs the object container streaming tech because currently the blind culling freezes the game trying to work, or maybe i got those swapped but they basically need each other to function properly once they can debug the two working together.

So leet frames will have to wait till 3.3 or 3.4. Still as long as FPS is in the 20s it is not too bad to play.

13. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    *boink*
    Apparently, CryTek vs CIG is still on and CryTek's demands haven't been dismissed in full by a California court. Linking to docdroid PDF...haven't read it yet...

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    This thread was started in 2012. People started families since then, had kids, those kids grew, they went to school...

I vote renaming it to "Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Nevercoming PC Space Sim."

basco likes this.
  15. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ Alpha 3.2 isn't THAT bad...let's just say that by the time it moves to a more or less final technical state, 80% of the hardware used out there can run it completely maxed out and just about everyone has a fiber connection...

Then again...Citizencon is in October, so we'll see what they've achieved...hopefully not another 'look at this new stuff we're working on that will slow down development just a bit more so give us your money' kind of presentation.

16. nwc

nwc Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
  17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super

Oh wow I can try a barely functional Alpha version of a game that has huge amounts of over priced DLC before it is even released for FREE???? I feel so honoured.

Octopuss and chispy like this.
  18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    You can get this Using a referral code gets you a free 5,000UEC ($5USD of in-game money)!
    That is a steal,well I am a sucker for Crytek stuff or whatever it is called now ,going to download and see if I can get better than 30 FPS on a GTX 1080Ti.

EDIT:Download 40 GB's for this,less than 30 FPS at very high settings in a freaking hallway LOL unreal how bad this is.

So it can not be this bad,anyone got some tips.
    GTX1080Ti
    Gsync 165Hz
    Ryzen 2600X I can also play on Intel machine but probably no difference.

https://s25.**********/af773wpbz/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_26_463.jpg
    https://s25.**********/eobx62kvj/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_29_576.jpg
    https://s25.**********/x3we3hefj/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_39_378.jpg
    https://s25.**********/rshhisuxr/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_41_530.jpg
    https://s25.**********/eobx63fqn/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_44_174.jpg
    https://s25.**********/4e9i6v5an/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_46_668.jpg
    https://s25.**********/4e9i6uxkv/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_50_206.jpg
    https://s25.**********/xgns9o4f3/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_09_52_442.jpg
    https://s25.**********/r2yp6g23z/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_10_10_699.jpg
    https://s25.**********/5tb2vltj3/Star_Citizen_2018_08_25_19_10_30_099.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.
  19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yeah try the barely functional alpha with tons of overpriced DLC before trying to tell me what an amazing deal it is that they are letting people try the barely functional alpha with tons of overpriced DLC for free.

Just on a side note is it me or do those screen shots... well they look a bit crap. Given that this game is meant to be some amazing power house of eye bleeding graphical wonder the screen shots above look nothing but average at best.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Worst gaming experience I think I ever had,I have played this game in the past it was bad,but now it is terrible.I was lucky if I got over 15 FPS at times.
    People should be going to jail over this thievery of people cash lol.

Octopuss and -Tj- like this.