Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    kinda weird looking at that trailer , the fps is choppy and not smooth at all

a bit sad the game is still nowhere near the performance i hoped for

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Is there no shame in dropping frames and displaying placeholders until data is loaded?
    I understand getting rid of loading screen and getting player in action as fast as possible is fun... but at what cost?

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    KissSh0t gave a good description. Basically it's a method of reducing memory usage. For open world games, only the area closest to the player and in the player's FOV is loaded in memory; everything else is being streamed from storage depending on need. Some implementations are more aggressive or better/worst than others. For example, AC Origins uses a very aggressive (but good) streaming algorithm which streams a lot of data from storage as the player moves through the world. Witcher 3's streaming algorithm is also aggressive, but nowhere near as good as AC Origin's because the game doesn't use enough RAM and VRAM to reduce the pop in that occurs close to the player and the data is streamed at a low speed.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    and yet 16GB RAM recommeded...

This tech needs better hardware to be properly utilized, HDD gonna suffer a lot.

I understand streaming for mmo, but single games scenarios is way too aggressive

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well yeah, because storage isn't fast enough to stream large amounts of data quickly. Only RAM can do that. Keep in mind that Squadron 42 will likely have large cities, and several planets that needs to be streamed in. That's why there's such a large need for memory, and for fast storage.

This game and Star Citizen should be able to utilize the 16GB frame buffers on the next gen GPUs from NVidia and AMD.

Whether a game is online or single player doesn't matter. The vast majority of modern games, whether online or single player (open world games in particular) use streaming algorithms. It's the size, scope and detail in a game that determine how aggressive the streaming system should be, and not whether it's online or offline.

6. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Must accumulate loads of access lag on HDD, just like the traditional flight sims.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    what's the fix for error code 10002 ? it seems to be unable to connect to the internet

edit : nvm fixed it

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

It's going to be epic.

cerebus23 and KissSh0t like this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    That was so cool... the facial animation was very nice, and it had Ben Mendelsohn!! I didn't know that he was going to be in it.

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Game will be epic when it will be released and we don't watch edit cinematics.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Compared to Mass Effect Andromeda... This looks just so cool and promising. It's basically my dream come true. I've always wanted a game like this.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If we can romance the lady that preps the fighter this will be best game because of reasons....

don't judge me ok

btw when the player asks for the rifle and the guy says only what you see... that is a terminator reference.. there is a scene exactly like that in terminator.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    lol MEA was a cluster frack of a studio that did not know how to use frostbite engine, and were told to make a game, EA/bioware upper management not keeping tabs on what was going on, and they having to trash all their work and make a game in like 12 months? Something like that.

While we have had issues with CR dropping the ball and not checking up on stuff, like the star marine release, where turbulent's work had to be scrapped utterly, they generally be pretty decent on keeping everyone on the same page.

s42 demo was amazing, Fingers crossed they can get the game sorted and finished up next year so we got that to play.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Found the scene!

15. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    actually, that scenes' dialog was a twist on a couple of lines from a story by Harlan Ellison called The Soldier...Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range.....

KissSh0t likes this.

16. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They talked about Easter eggs in the game in the commentary. For me Dick Miller was also an Easter egg in Terminator LOL...for me he'll always be that dude from Gremlins. W W I I I!

17. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

some amazing stuff here
    • 16GB+ RAM
    not 16 but 16 plus

and look at this cause its where my question is
    i need an ssd to play a game ? i mean the ssd in effecting my fps ? i never saw ssd effect fps in benchmark or required can u please help me understand ?

18. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
  19. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Access time accumulation. Flight sims have all these little things on the screen that are constantly streaming in and out of view (no game levels in a flightsim, but a continuously streaming 3D environment), and all that stuff is located on 'the' drive. Accessing them means adding 11ms per thing on a traditional lower RPM platter HDD and only ~.1ms on a flash based SSD, so if you as an example want to near-instantaneously load 1000 things of negligible size simply accessing them adds 11 seconds on HDD regardless of the drive's 150MB/s bandwidth, and only 0.1 second on the 450 MB/s SSD, so not only 100 times faster but also the difference between being or not being noticeable. The access times will just accumulate rapidly on the HDD, with the pop-in continuing up to minutes after you've flown past (typically in a 1000-10,000 m 3D bubble just so it's there if you decide to look/move around.

20. prescient

prescient Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Evga
    thats good but in some cases that extra speed you talk about is really needed ? its like getting 64gb ram when you only need 16 ? what difference dose it really make to fps ?
    sc is a game that ask you today to deliver 16+ gb ram a 4 gb vram and an ssd
    its using in new patch 12 gb ram 6 gb vram and what do i get ? 5 fps in crusader space port on board the
    PainKiller : Hero 6 / i7-4770K/ 1080 FTW / 16GB KHX2400 / WD CB 1tb FZEX / CM storm trooper / SAMSUNG 27' monitor / corsair 750 tx/water 3 extreme / win8.1 64bit pro .
    i have screens but ill save your time so believe its not coz of my wd caviar back and no game in the market do this ever

am the founder of dracul btw
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DRACUL