1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    U have short memory. now 4 years after game purchase and its coming "soon"

2. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    You just put the word, soon, in "", and that means even you don't believe what you just said lol

They promised a much, much earlier launch date, and they didn't deliver.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Did they actually ever promise a launch date? They definitely have deadlines for specific releases that they miss, but I don't recall them ever saying "Star Citizen is launching on X" - in fact throughout it's development Roberts seems to allude that the game will be in constant development and never actually get a big launch, similar to most early access games.

4. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Yes, they did. Their kickstarter:

"SCOUT: A digital copy of the finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly + 1,000 Galatic Credits + Exclusive access to the Beta + White Citizens Card (physical reward)

ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Nov 2014
    SHIPS TO: Anywhere in the world"

One of the pledge options. I don't see why I need to make this stuff up.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Fair enough

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Don't forget that after the very successful initial crowdfunding they asked the community (also made a Poll) if they should do as originally offered or expand the scope of the game much earlier than initially planned.

The community overwhelmingly voted to shoot for something far beyond what CIG expected to deliver by Nov 2014.

I believe some time (No. years? would have to check) later, there was a second Poll and again the community voted to carry on raising the bar before initial Persistent Universe release.

I voted to put in the extra time to help make this game as good as it can be (reasonably) before release.
    I am personally very happy with the progress and information shared during the development of this game.

Now so many of the fundamentals of the game are nearing completion we will start the see the PU being built out much more rapidly - and satisfyingly :)

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Will there ever be a physical copy of Squadron 42? or... will it be available on Steam?

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Some early backers that bought certain higher tier game packages (Freelancer or Constellation) get a Physical Box copy with some extra's incuding a copy of the game (Inc Squadron 42) on a USB stick shaped roughly like the relevant ship.
    (early enough backers get signed box copies like I will ^^)

I would have thought they would not offer hard copies again, not sure though. If demand is high enough and is requested past a point I would have thought they would listen to the community.

I'm not sure if they will release on Steam, I highly doubt they would initially, but later that huge audience would be hard to ignore despite Steam taking it's 40% (last I heard) cut of sales on it's platform.

Particularly Squadron 42 is more likely to come to consoles at some point in the future if CIG consider them finally advanced enough not to hold the game back.
    PC gaming is their Top Priority though of course !

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    so ALPHA 3.0 was locked today ?

10. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    XFXR9 Fury X H2O
    Feature Locked.
    No new stuff in this cycle.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    By the time they finish the game, there will be exclusive squadron platform for distributing the game.

12. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Let's hope that they do ramp up the speed. While we wait, here is a guy who put in 25k for the game, but now wants it back because the game hasn't delivered what it promised to (so far):

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/16767590/star-citizen-refund

It's a good read.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    But mom I want to eat the cake before it's finished baking.

14. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    It does sound like he is twisting some truths to make his point, someone who backed as much as he did Should have also been following the project close enough to see what is being produced and good progress made even if we do not have it o "play" with.

He is right about Squadron 42 being So Delayed, yet at the same time should understand Precisely why that is so...

The part that makes me sad about his story mostly is CIG's very poorly handled response to his request, as just as it may or may not be.

All of us backers, especially those at Concierge+ levels of backing should know damn well at this point that the money we backed into this project is Given (non-refundable) in good faith that they are going to use to to realise this dream, the vast majority of us also voted for the direction that path would take at important junctures. People were given opportunities for full refunds around those times, those opportunities were said to have past long ago now.
    - Seems to me they were generous to give as much back as they have.

Makes me not quite sure he is being straight about all this honestly...

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Crytek Sues Star Citizen Makers for Breaching Contract:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

"German game publisher Crytek is suing Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) for breaching contract and infringing its copyright, asking for a jury trial to determine the value of damages.

The two companies had originally partnered on Star Citizen, which still has no release date but has raised nearly $200 million in crowdfunding since it first launched on Kickstarter in 2012.
    CIG had used Crytek’s CryEngine technology and collaborated with the publisher on marketing, among other things. But as the years went on, their relationship disintegrated. As Crytek struggled to pay its employees, a large number of staff left the company for positions at CIG’s neighboring office in Frankfurt, Germany. In December 2016, CIG announced that it had switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard engine, which is based on CryEngine—and which, ironically, may have saved Crytek from bankruptcy.

Now, in part because of that switch, Crytek is suing CIG. The lawsuit, filed in California, claims that CIG “promised, among other things, (i) to use the CryEngine game development platform exclusively and to promote that platform within the video game, (ii) to collaborate with Crytek on CryEngine development, and (iii) to take a number of steps to ensure that Crytek’s intellectual property was protected. [CIG] utterly failed to follow through on those promises, and their actions and omissions constitute breaches of contract and copyright infringement and have caused substantial harm to Crytek.”

The complaint alleges that CIG used Crytek’s engine for another game (the standalone module Squadron 42), failed to collaborate, and shared Crytek’s code with other parties, breaking confidentiality agreements. (Those other parties, according to the lawsuit, include a series of public videos called Bugsmashers and a third-party technology company called Faceware.)

When asked to comment by Kotaku, CIG sent over a statement: “We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.”

CIG declined to answer follow-up questions about specific complaints in the suit ...

Legal Papers: https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

Source: https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract-1821269577

Not good news unfortunately :/

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm pretty surprised to hear that, I had the impression it was a natural progression and a part of Crytek's sad situation. I really had thought they were doing much better than they were.

I imagine their funds ran out and they failed to keep development of their engine moving satisfactorily causing CIG to check their options quickly at the time. I remember there was a lot of worry in the community that Star Citizen was using a game engine created by a failing company...

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    This is how I imagine Derek Smart after reading that news.
    [​IMG]

It's safe for work right? I mean it is a kids show... just taken out of context.

But seriously this news is pretty surprising.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Also surprised to hear that, but if its in the contracts, its in the contracts. If it ends up that Crytek's IP and or company was jeapordized by the likes of CIG in any way, they will be on the hook for damages as that would be very easy to prove.

Needless to say it will likely come down to some quiet settlement, but no doubt looking bad for CIG if that is the case.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    guys why do u keep discussing a game that will never make the light of day....

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Game will come out in the next year or two. :p

Far as the lawsuit goes.

CIG so modified the engine they called it starengine, this was around the time that crytek officially baked VR support into one of the cryengine updates. CIG informed an excited community that they had stopped taking ce updates months ago because their engine was so modified that converting cryengine updates was too much work compared to making their own updates.

Then a few months later the announced they would be using lumberyard, largely for the netcode updates in that.

Now much of this lawsuit seems concerned with the fact that cig was not providing their updates for cryengine and other companies crytek has also gone after for that very thing.

But to call an engine your own you have to modify it HEAVILY, 60 70% of the thing reworked. I find it dubious that crytek would expect any bug fixes or patches cig would have produced to be workable, nm when cig themself said they had stopped taking updates long ago because it was too much hassle.

CIG for their part claims they fully bought out crytek's interest in the project before they shifted to lumberyard support.

So we got a desperate crytek flailing around try to save their company, vs CIG a company that is sitting on 160 plus million in backer funding and making good headway on the project.

Yea. Looks like a frivolous law suit to me. If cig has the buy papers they claim i do not see how this thing goes anywhere.

And another nail in cryteks coffin, lest cryengine will live on through amazon :p.