1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Citizen sells 'Concept Motorcycles' at $36 and $48

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2019.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    Just saw those screen shots on page 3. Is it really only still DX11 only?

Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Yeah but why does it matter? The main bottleneck in the game is network performance by far. So why would they waste time now splitting out all the components to separate threads and contend with managing a low level API like vulkan, right before they swap out the entire particle, fog and shadow system?

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    There are many questions surrounding the development process from a technical standpoint and I really do not believe any of the answers they have provided are remotely valid - merely situations they have put themselves in.

-

I tend to Frontier developments, as they didn't complain about graphics, they just created their own engine and got on with the task in hand. Along the way, they won awards and oh yeah - delivered an 8/10 game.

In the time CIG has had, Frontier did the following:
    • Created a game engine
    • Released a critically acclaimed game
    • Won awards
    • Released three other critically acclaimed games (Jurassic World, Planet Coaster, Screamride) and have Planet Zoo lined up for later this year. So, including Elite and its two expansions packs, that gives you a total of, how many games?
    Oh yeah, just a small point, but the founder (David Braben) has also been awarded 3 honorary doctorates during the same period...CR has been awarded what? And wait a minute, what did CR obtain at college? Did he even attend?

One company knows what they are doing and is managed by competence and empirical adherence to solve problems, and the other...egotism?

-

If you can't even add a dx12/vulkan low-level api (as I mentioned previously) you do not deserve the money in my bank account to be transferred to yours.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Elite Dangerous has a 6/10 on steam and that's about what I'd rate it. The game wasn't that good. Also your mancrush David Braben couldn't even add color blind options to the game - just yesterday I was reading a thread about how people are downloading trainers to modify the HUD colors for colorblind because one of the devs said it was impossible to add this. Half the thread is people complaining about how bad Frontier is at developing and supporting the game lol.. Frontier had 200 people working for them when they started Elite Dangerous. They had a working studio with a production workflow and 20 years of experience. CIG had nothing. They only recently (last year) ramped their workforce. Also can we stop pretending that ED is even close to the level of scope Star Citizen is? You can argue CIG should have capped the scope - fine, I'll probably agree with that but they didn't so it's not.

They can add vulkan, they actively talk about adding vulkan just that it's not a priority and based on what I know about the game I don't see why it would be. It just complicates the development process and provides no end user benefit at the moment.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    HandR likes this.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I did say 'critically acclaimed game', Denial and, my comments were more leaning to what the studio has done in the same time period - apps if that didn't come across as such. Regarding CR specifically, it's not as if he did not have any industry experience, is it?

Again how many AAA games have Frontier released in the same period? How many movie rights? How many accolades? How many...

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Reshade works with Elite, and there is a colour blind filter available.

If elite devs can't put a simple shader in the game, says alot about their capabilities.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Who cares? Lots of critically acclaimed games and moves are trash. Halle Berry has an oscar ffs enough said. That's not to say that ED is trash but it's not a great game either. Also it didn't even meet it's scope. Here is a video from 2012 - 7 years later (arguably more because apparently they were working ED for years prior to the 2012 announcement) I still can't even walk around my ship, let alone go down to planets and be a "big game hunter" so as far as I'm concerned they didn't even release ED. They released some half measure and called it v1 - sounds like a scam to me - /s. Also the Cobra engine the game runs on was used prior to ED so I'm not sure why you say they developed their own engine for the game. I'm sure they modified it but it's not like they built it from scratch with the game as it was used in games as far back as 2004.

CR has industry experience from the 90s - Wing Commander 4 had a $12M budget not $200M+ with multiple globally spanning studios to manage. It's a completely different animal to create a development framework for that and modern game development resembles nothing like it did in the late 90s.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    And for those who pledged money, but did not get the features they wanted - got a complete and total refund of their pledge. For those who played the game and requested content (not listed in the original funding round), this was delivered in the expansion packs

That says fairness to me, and competence.

The Cobra engine is a constant improvement engine - so yes, you are right, but the development of the ED features had to be developed in accordance with what they laid out in the funding round. Again, this says competence.

My over-riding point is that during the same period of time, Frontier have achieved much.