Star Citizen raised over $300 million USD to date

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is that a problem or a feature?

Idk, like the game has a number of bugs - but if they were able to stabilize the core experience would it really be an issue if they never actually "released" and just constantly kept developing it?

The core experience is getting better with each patch.

If you're having fun in it, why not? I never really got the opposite argument - people seem to think a game needs to be done to have fun in it. I've played dozens of alpha/betas that I've quit before release, that I've logged tons of entertaining hours in - this one just simply asks you to pay for it.

I have friends that paid the $40 SC entry fee and logged 60-80 hours - their progress was wiped away but they had fun experiences... so it's like 50c an hour for entertainment. Cheaper than going to the movies.

_

All this being said I have doubts the game is going to be completed myself. There is lots of questionable management decisions that I don't necessarily agree with. I still think it's a cool project though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    EspHack, HandR and Embra like this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    3 or 4 years ago when they first started showing what they planned a lot of the stuff they mentioned and showed was very impressive. The issue is that their protracted development cycle has meant that other games and game developers have moved on. I recon the stuff that is being shown for FS2020 is way more impressive than anything SC is showing now.

Then you have this oddity of tech that in description sounds great but in reality is just really not. The face mapping tech is great in theory but looks awful in game. Uncanny valley boarding on Gamebyro levels of janky.

They have too many balls in the air it just seems impossible that they will ever be able to deliver the level of polish given by the early promises, even more so if they continue to keep adding changing or modifying key parts of the game.

Factorio 851 hours logged so far and it doesn't go to v1.0 until later this year. If it's fun being complete doesn't matter, also helps if the game is optimised and doesn't have major bugs which Factorio is and doesn't.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Elite Dangerous has managed to do both space and now planet exploration next year.

4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Imagine if Duke Nukem Forever had been crowd-funded...

Yes but it's really, really boring. And it is constrained by having to be similar to the games that preceded it. The game logic is largely still a thing of the '90s. They dressed up the graphics a lot, but that's about it. Still, my all-time-favorite game, Arma 3, is the same way. It's basically Operation Flashpoint with a bunch of stuff thrown on top to make it look nicer. Props though to ED for the planetary terrain LOD transitions, it's really well done.

Someone ought to plow a lot of money into making a MMO game based on The Expanse.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    HandR, The Laughing Ma and Hypernaut like this.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Still would have been rubbish.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So it hasn't managed to do both?

They've been talking about the space legs patch for years now. Could be coming next year - but SC could be far more polished by next year as well and the depth of SC is like 100x ED anyway.

I like ED but in terms of scope the games are pretty far apart.

HandR and Ghosty like this.
  7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I just hoped for a new Privateer, a new Freelancer. I still hope this scratches that itch. I'm not really paying attention. I've avoided playing it. Want to save that for release. I presume sometime in the next few years.

HandR and Hypernaut like this.
  8. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    The funny thing is, if they polished up what currently exists, they have an exceptional, modern, Freelancer, I think. And I think that would be a good way to move forward, spend a few patches really getting the systems that exist nailed down, then move forward with development from there, but they won't do it.

Hypernaut likes this.
  9. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    SC "could" be more polished next year? Yeah right, mate. Do you actually really believe that, with their track record? Every year we hear the next patch will be the one. It has never happened the game is a laggy bug fest. Which would be fine within a normal development cycle. 9 years this year. Christopher mentioned he had a working prototype in 2011. I want it to be great but I play regularly and it is far from it.

ED is probably more advanced than SC. Graphically SC has the edge. The playability is light years in favour of ED. It is so much fun. SC is boring and so slow. You think Arma is slow. SC is even slower than that.

chispy likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    I noticed I worded that sentence incorrecty. Elite will have managed to do both, in 2021. :)

Hypernaut likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't know if I agree.

The whole "development time" thing with SC is misleading, it's a surface level argument - the game has been in development for that long, true, but the game they set out to create is nothing like what they are building now. The budget massively inflated right from the start and they decided to expand the scope of the game significantly with that budget very early in the development. You could argue they should have did a more "building blocks" route similar to ED - get a finished product and tack things on but it was easy for ED to make that decision because it received like 10% more then the original scope. They budgeted out the scope they set to create, because it's basically all they had and they went and built the original vision. SC on the other hand ended it's kickstarter with 400% it's original goal - within one year of the kickstarter ending they were at ~1500% their original goal. So instead of building some $500,000 game they expanded the scope from the start in order to avoid having to recreate entire systems of the game that simply don't scale from something you'd build with $500,000 to something you'd build with $50M - which is what they had 2 years after the kickstarter ended.

On top of that - ED was an established studio, with an established production pipeline, with an established company framework. The time it takes to establish a framework that the 500+ employees CIG has now, takes years in itself. You need general office staffing/administration, you need HR departments, you need IT departments, an entire network framework that's capable of sharing code/assets/etc across multiple studios, they built an entire movie production for the the mocap, etc. Let alone hiring artists, designers, programmers, concept artists, etc. Most AAA studios, including companies like Blizzard who took 7 years to make Starcraft II already have all these systems in place and it still took them 7 years and the game is like 1/3rd as complex (in terms of software development) as Starcitizing is attempting to be.

So yeah - it's been in development long but there is a reason for it. You could argue that they should have taken a different route but just saying "lol 9 years" isn't really indicative of anything. You have to be more nuanced.

I think their track record has improved significantly over the last two years or so. I know major features have been delayed including some I've been waiting a while to see (crusader gas giant pleeeeeeeeeease) -- but the rate of development has definitely increased. The 2.x's was basically stagnant for years but since 3, every quarterly patch has added interesting new features, ships, weapons, locations, etc to the point where I get in the game now and can actually play it for 30-40 hours over the course of the patch and enjoy the new content along with the old. It's still buggy, yes - it still has lots of problems, yes - but things are being addressed and I personally feel the rate at which they are being addressed is quickening. I no longer get in, play for 4 hours then quit because it feels like there is nothing to do - now there is plenty to do and I run into fewer problems doing so.. although when I do occasionally QT straight into a planet I want to tear my hair out

Idk - I think the game has a lot of development problems, I'm not sure if it will ever be finished -- I don't know if CR is the guy to lead the project or someone else can do it better.. but I like what they are promising. I like the idea of essentially a AAA game unbound by publisher restraints. I think they've done a decent job building it and recent patches have given me hope that the "core issues" will be addressed and they'll get to a point where the main gameplay is flushed out, bug free and the rest will just be adding content and systems. It may take two, three maybe more years to get to that point but I personally feel the game is already at the point now where the entertainment I've received from it has more than made up the initial investment cost. In which case the game did it's job - it entertained me.

HandR, JoeBlobers and Hypernaut like this.
  12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    Hopefully my grandchildren can tell me about it when it gets released.

chispy likes this.
  13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    it can't be run from hdd afaik, ssd required, I think that alone speaks for itself

people keep beating the "its a beta" drum without realizing most software these days is just that, but these people are frank about it & keep working on it unlike the rest of them(mass effect andromeda?)

JoeBlobers likes this.
  14. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    One of the biggest scam ever. Cant believe people can be that naive.

chispy likes this.
  15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Can you will your license to your grandchildren?

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Real time flight to Illus, only takes a year to complete, you finally get there, get planet side then get killed by a death slug!

Size_Mick likes this.
  17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It speaks really nothing. As I understand, basically they got rid of loading screens and fetching data from drive on the run.
    That how any modern open-world game is working. They probably just got very heavy textures and models, so HDD will take a while to load data.

18. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I never got financially or emotionally invested into this game, so I don't really care.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Engine

TekkMarine and JoeBlobers like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Elite dangerous isn't even in the same genre.

JoeBlobers likes this.