Star Citizen developers allegedly wasting money

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^ Seriously, to the point where I'm wondering if his Lawyer is on here...

EDIT: To any sane person the article has some key pointers...

"His wife and his brother both work in senior positions at the company."

"the Microsoft general manager who oversaw the software giant’s relationship with Digital Anvil, came to believe that Microsoft money intended for game development was instead used for the movie"

"To make the movies, Roberts teamed up with a German lawyer, Ortwin Freyermuth, who is now vice chairman of Cloud Imperium. They arranged financing from an investment fund that was using a tax scheme to raise money in Germany for Hollywood movies. By 2006 the German government had stopped the practice, and the fund’s founder was sentenced to jail for tax fraud, according to Variety. Roberts and Freyermuth were not implicated." - "the German money dried up"

"Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium - a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years."

Just the tip of the ice-berg and what I had to think about was "can/does personal always affect one's professional success/aspects in the workplace" - yep. I would say so. Some weird things going down, business decisions too, asset management aside.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
    chispy likes this.
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't you know? Everyone is a lawyer, or best friends with a lawyer on the internet.

[​IMG]

chispy and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Thanks for clarifying re:eek:culus - so, non of the backers got a slice of the multi-billion dollar purchase, did they?

4. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LOL and they are saying that the single player campaign(Squadron 42), the one I personally been waiting for, they are aiming for summer of 2020??? Yeah right.

LOL, My dad said that the game probably won't be ready for over 10 years. Summer 2020?????? I'll Suck my good for nothing TOE if that happens, personally If it indeed it will come out, Its going to be a Very long time before that happens, I don't see it in 2020 personally, that's what they are aiming for, I don't see it, I am looking foward to it but I just don't see it.

And oh, there's a Ship package going for what, If I remembered correctly, over 20,000 Dollars, WTF???????

Holy Sweet >>UPSIDE DOWN<< pInEaPpLe CaKe!!!

ManofGod likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It wasn't 'in development' in 2011, it was in concept in 2011.

but its not true that it only started in 2016 either, its safest to say full development didn't start till after they got the engine into a form they liked.

Non backers can talk about it, if they keep their opinions in check. They don't know whats what so they don't have a place to be making absolute arguments, or fueling unfounded forbes articles.

You clearly haven't even tried a build past 2.0.

Download 3.5 and have a look at the 'nothing been produced"

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll agree that it's hard to make an opinion or judgement on something you don't know about, but I wouldn't tell someone to keep their opinion in check at least.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yeah, but alot of the people making snap judgements are going off Hate-pieces written by people who seem to have it out for this game.

True, the universe seems empty of players atm, recently the ability for players to create missions for others to go out on has been getting implemented. But its a space game, until theres more planets to visit alot of the content is handled in space and thats just how space is - empty.

Now they had added container objects the last time I logged in which was 3.3ish, and managed to get on a hammerhead with a few others, There is a lot of time spent flying from place to place - its not starwars where you hit hyperdrive in one moment and then end up pulled into the death stars landing bay within 5 minutes lol.

As for Squadron 42's readiness, they have live streamed the completion of 2 or 3 missions where you play wingman to mark hammils character Lt. Commander Steve Colton back in Dec 2017

a 2020 release should be hit.

vbetts likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think the issue is that lack of experience or even understanding of the process doesn't stop people from making completely fabricated statements about the game, strife with outrage over something they didn't even put money into. Like a few pages earlier someone mentioned something like "the game has been delayed for a decade" when it hasn't even been in development for a decade. Then you have other people saying they don't produce content but in the last year they've probably added more content then most games have period. Whether or not that content is fun (there is definitely a lack of gameplay systems in starcitizen as they focus on tech and world expansion, which I disagree with) is another story.. but just lying, creating completely nonfactual statements and going "LOL SCAM" is a little frustrating and imo should be moderated to some degree.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    vbetts and HandR like this.
  9. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Legit question and interest: Is there any videos and/or list breaking down currently implemented features in the game? I don't mean their promotional videos/mkt material, but an actual user (fair) take on the actual state of the game as of 2019.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm sure there are - I'll try to find one when I get home later. I think the problem with most fan videos is they ignore the flaws in the priority of development. IMO the game would be much better if it focused on gameplay over tech. If the missions were shareable with a team, if the economy worked to at least some degree, if the multicrew ships actually had things for other crew members to do, if there was a reason to adventure out with friends, etc. Recently they revamped the flight model which was nice. The game looks nice - flying to planets is pretty cool. The performance has improved significantly. PvP in smaller ships is really fun. Problem I have is outside of a bit of PvP there is nothing to do in the game. The missions don't give enough of anything to really warrant doing them - the AI is pretty terrible at the moment. There is no reason to adventure anywhere and even if you wanted to with friends its boring because there isn't much to actually do on the ships outside of pilot them.

The game has tons of planets, moons, cool tech and locations but there isn't many gameplay systems at all, so it's boring. I think CIGs reasoning is that the systems are kind of built on top of the tech - it all ties in so they'd rather get the tech finished before they implemented ontop but in the mean time I have almost no reason to play the game. PvP kept me engaged for 20-30 hours and I spend time checking out the new cities, city planets and biomes when they add them. But there basically is no reason to progress in the game at the moment.

Ricardo likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What do you mean, "allegedly?" :p 225 million dollars and there's no game. For 225 mil, there should have been a game by now. It's not "allegedly". The money was clearly wasted.

Deleted member 213629 and fry178 like this.
  12. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    So, when is he and his cohorts going to be tried for this scheme and scam?

If it is not ever released, will he ever be tried for this scam?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

This is the kind of over-opinionated and unfounded comments i was talking about @vbetts

@RealNC

its sooooooo wasted. right?.

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.3.0
    https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.4.0
    https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.5.0

change the number in the url to go back further.

There is also https://starcitizen.fandom.com/wiki/Development_promises

People forget that the 200+m is not just an online space sim, but a full story as well - sure it was meant to be under one client originally but it was always 2 full featured content packages in development.

vbetts and HandR like this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are 200+ developers currently employed by CIG with quarterly patches being released. The beta version is playable and has tons of content.. so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There were games with similar or even larger budgets by existing studios that took just as long to develop. Didn't have to contend with starting/building an entire company, production workflow, didn't have to modularize the development and release it piecemeal, didn't have an expanding budget and scope, wasn't trying to build one of the most ambitious games of all time. Why should the game be finished by now? There is plenty to critize about the game itself but these arguments of "should have been released" "no game exists" "they aren't doing anything" "its just a giant scam" are dumb - like really dumb. Who scams people by hiring 250 people, buying multiple studios, paying rent for all of it, spending a ton of money on building production tools, retooling an engine, releasing a bunch of betas, content, etc? Literally the worst scam ever.

Never because it's neither.

alanm and HandR like this.
  15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Unfounded and over opinionated, right, sure thing. :D :rolleyes: You can show me all the "videos" you want and all the supposed claims to older "versions" and they mean not a thing. So, where is the $60 game I can go online and buy, right now? A full game with full story line, not a hopeful alpha of videos. Dude, Wing Commander 4 was big and it was properly released and a fantastic game. Same with Wing Commander 3 so please, get over the defending.

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    And still have enough money to buy a nearly 5 million dollar home. Please, all that crap you are claiming is just that, crap. Do you have a break down of all the expenses, as is? Full on defend mode enabled!

Hey, I have been accused of being a Microsoft defender when I speak well of Windows 10 but, at least they actually released a product you can actual use, now.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not done yet? Game is slightly bigger then Wing Commander 4 lol..

The guy was worth $30M+ before he founded CIG. Who gives a crap if he used his personal money to buy a house?

You don't have a break down of all the expenses either. Full on attack mode enabled! See? I can make dumb arguments too.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're projecting, educate yourself on the subject then come back here and engage with us on discussing game development timelines and costs.

They literally had to retrofit an existing engine to do what they needed (because crytek misrepresented capabilities and provided no support in extending them)

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I really like Star Citizen and want it to succeed, but mostly looking forward to the solo game Squadron 42 with Gary Oldman/Mark Hamill etc...
    Invested in SC to the point of earning money from a Youtube channel with a huge focus on the game.

Still, you would have to be quite naive to feel like everything is sunshine and rainbow in this project.

Going from no studio to targeting a large AAA open world game, developped over 8+years, like only a couple studios in the world are capable to do right now (RockStar Games, CD Projekt Red, Ubisoft ?!) is just absurd.
    The only studios capable of doing it right now have iterated for years on various scale of project, have experienced people, organization, workflow.

Instead of expanding the scope, they should have drawn a line in the sand at some point.
    They don't have any experience at all at delivering anything as a studio, and made technical choices that pushed their developement years away, focused on their true first person which made everything insanely more complex, while focusing on visual fidelity without having the slighest backend infrastructure to back it up.

Facts are, right now in Star Citizen, flying ships is not satisfying, and beside the one mining ship, other ships than dogfighters have no gameplay loop associated. FPS experience isn't satisfying neither.

I've put around 450$ total in the project between 2014-2018, spent a couple hundred hours in-game, and can clearly say: if you're not into beautiful 3D environment, music, and a bit of role playing, move along you're wasting your time.

Some stats as reference:

Massive Entertainment went from 220 to 400 employees from 2013 to 2018, started working on The Division in 2013, released The Division in 2016, The Division 2 by March 2019.

CIG had 255 employees early 2015, including a bunch of ex crytek joining them, by mid-2018 they were 530 or so.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  20. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    It is not "done" yet? Ok, sure, whatever. You want to spend your money on this stuff, be my guest. Me? I am going to call out something bad when it is actually bad. So, are you going to change your tune when they reach 1 Billion dollars and it still is not done?

So, we now need to spend at least $450 on a game and be into music to appreciate this and if we don't, we are wrong? Hey, your money, your choice but ignoring this is not going to make it suddenly become a good thing. I am highly frustrated because I saw the name Chris Roberts, thought Wing Commander, imagined good things coming our way and instead, we have empty promises and 4.7 Million dollar home purchases.

Edit: Oh well, not my money that you spent, we have all tried to warn you all but you have ignored us, such as life, enjoy. Guess we all have to learn ourselves. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.