Star Citizen developers allegedly wasting money

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Damn for someone so invested in the project you sure make it sound like it is boring as toast. The thing is, once all is said and done and assuming that the game does release as they claim it will the entire thing sounds like a second job that I am paying to do. The scope and scale can be as grand as a universe but we are creatures of habit so what we end up doing will invariably be tied to progression within the game. If the quickest form of progression is flying back and forth hauling mince then that's what people will end up doing all the time.

I read about the events that took place in EVE, and I thought that sounds fing awesome lets get in to this. I did and the game was dull as dish water. It had such a huge initial investment needed which in turn would have to be followed up with further constant investment and possible, maybe their may be some fun or something huge might happen and everything about what is planned for SC sounds like it's just going to end up exactly like this. Huge events that only a select few are a part of while everyone else is spending their time hauling ore or trying not to get ganked at a gate.

XenthorX likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Right now the most fun you have from the game is from playing with other people, joining an Org. and join RP events, appreciate the nice scifi world. That's how i hvae my fun with Star Citizen nowaday. Playing from 0 to 2 times a week.

3. @Denial You're clearly very articulate & collected so I am sad to see you defend someone whom clearly doesn't understand the concept of "optics" very well. I don't dispute much of what you're saying. I'd add you converse well & defend your statements with good points. Regarding Chris Roberts - generally if one's handling a project of massive scope & finance that's exceeded some deadlines, it would behoove one to consider optics of certain choices; any business person with tact would want to hold true to that.

Whatever may result of this situation, certain people may not always be worth supporting - despite their results. This person's past actions & current seem to be engrossed in a degree of scandal. It's my opinion many things would qualify Mr. Roberts as an incompetent developer. A question I've been curious of after researching his past is, has he stood on the shoulders of others to make himself look tall? I look forward to your reply, I think you're well-written & I do enjoy what you contribute not just here, but elsewhere in the forum. *cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That's an interesting point.

When this project is finished and the following terms are true, then I will play it:

1) Players ships can be permanently destroyed and/or stolen.
    2) The solar systems can be 'locked down' and 'controlled'.
    3) Players walking around can be permanently killed (permadeath) resulting in the permanent death of the players' character.
    4) All in game items can be stolen.
    5) Players can band together and gang up on other players.
    6) All players interact on one server 'shard'.

If this was a real thing, then the game has a future.

With great loss, comes great power.

5. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080Ti
    If ever SC would have a good game dev background now all of its fans and backers would have something to play with.
    The main problem with kickstarter projects and I mean all projects, not only software creations, is that it is very easy to throw away money that is not "yours".
    That's why indy game development is able to make some nice products even if those ones are most of the time clones of something just seen.
    If you want to make it good you need to do it the hard way. You need to have passion, talent and intelligence.
    Usually indy game dev teams are full of talented people that want to show they are good enough to make their piece of art real.
    We can talk about poor management here but the point is that if you do not have it clear what you want to create it is better to do not stole money from people with fragile and doubtful promises.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Fair points, but succinctly; if a person does not have a business plan rubber-stamped and approved by 'real' investors, then the project is doomed from the start.

FYI, I have just gotten back from a gruelling 3 hour session with investors, with more to come...these investors not only ask pertinent questions, they also provide business partnership with decades of business intelligence. Massive value-add, that I would never ignore or object to.

And yes, the stories they told me about people with pie-in-the-sky, helicopter-thinking pipedreams that are now bankrupt...the numbers are big and scary, as are poorly written business plans.

If someone can link me the business plan of this project, I'd love to read it, but I cannot find it and strongly suspect it never existed.

fry178 and carnivore like this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This an old thread bro

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    One post newbie spam accounts usually look for an old thread, post something in it that seems like a real comment.. then a few days or weeks later come back to edit the comment to have a link off site.

The simple fact this account holder is "Female" and has "Windows XP" as used operating systems while having a "Nvidia RTX 3070" tells me this is another spam bot account.

Airbud, Denial and chispy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.